MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 02-06-2001, 09:54 AM   #1
joakim

Question Best way to go...

Should I build a 351 c/w to next year or should I go with the alu heads and all other things. Whats cheapest? What should you do. I must have the injector because the rules in sweden. Windsor or clevland? The car is for good weather at weekends only, and some dragracing(for fun).

------------------
-87 GT, K&N, 5-speed, Walker exhaust, no air silencer. timing
75000miles. This vinter 3,55 and mac 15/8 and H-pipes
14,61 and 95,59mph
Old 02-06-2001, 10:32 AM   #2
bigwhitecobra
Huh? Whatcha said?

Thumbs up

Building your 302 will be the cheapest, as long as you don't stroke it out to a 331 or a 347. Building a 351 is very easy, but you'd be block and rotating assembly, which is not cheap. The best bang for your buck would most likely be going with the alum heads and a better intake and cam. If i were in your place, I would start with some TFS heads, an E-303 cam, 1.7 roller rockers, 75 or 77mm mass air, and maybe a 70mm throttle body. That combo should be good for a little over 300hp. Hope I've helped out a little.

------------------
1989 GT- Vortech blown 306, Anderson 3" power pipe, Vortech S-Trim 14# boost, MSD-6BTM, black wrinkle finish Cobra valve covers(woohoo), world class T-5, 3.55 gears, custom sub-frame connectors, Cobra grille insert and rear valance, Saleen "whale" wing, 4 wheel disc conversion, 11.1@124
1994 Cobra- MAC cold air fender kit, Motorsport underdrive pulley's, MAC 21/2" off-road H pipe, SVO mufflers, 3.73 gears, E-303 cam, 13.417@101.335mph
bigwhitecobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2001, 01:50 PM   #3
Chevyguy
Backyard Mechanic/Chemist

The thought of a EFI 351 Cleveland certianly sounds appealing. However it would cost alot to build up one even with a carb. you would have to completely fabricate a injection manifold out of a Cleveland intake and a set of fuel rails, fabricate a throttle body, custom computer etc....

A 351 W is more straightforward. The taller deck height compared to a 302 calls for some special components like special lower intake, accessory brackets and headers. Still not cheap but at least bolt on range.

The real question is how fast do you want to go, and how much are you willing to invest. If you know a good machine shop local to you upgrading the 302 with heads and step up to a stroker kit will get you cubes without getting a whole new motor. More cubes = more torque = Low 13's easy = Trans and rear end modifications (after breakage). Tweaking the 302 to high 13's range may not stress the drivetrain as much. Again how fast do you want to go?

------------------
Frank W
90 5.0 LX coupe Stone stock soon to be daily driver
74 Chevy Laguna Type S-3 305 apart in garage, getting a 454 to put next to it
www.chevellepages.com/folingo
Chevyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2001, 05:18 PM   #4
smooth
Registered Member

it will take a hell of a lot of compression and a radical cam/solid roller in a 3" stroke windsor to make some very competitive power. at that point you are looking at new internals regardless so no point in not going with a stroker crank. and IMO unless you plan on a high revving setup w/ a poweradder i'd go with a stroked 302. the 351 is a good bit heavier, but stronger as well.
smooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2001, 06:37 PM   #5
joakim

Hmmm.... Yes why not a stroker...I heard that a 347 is not so strong. Up to 331 is ok. What brand is your favorites? Many of you use the 306!!! Why not 331...? The price is not the big diff...or?

------------------
-87 GT, K&N, 5-speed, Walker exhaust, no air silencer. timing
75000miles. This vinter 3,55 and mac 15/8 and H-pipes
14,61 and 95,59mph
Old 02-06-2001, 11:15 PM   #6
smooth
Registered Member

it isn't strong in high rpm + power adder combos. n/a there shouldn't be a problem.

go ask around the tech section. i have no personal experience building strokers. and a 306 is just a bored out block stock 3" stroke.
smooth is offline   Reply With Quote