MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 05-07-2004, 12:27 AM   #1
xxxBlakexxx
Registered Member

Default College

I am going to my youngest brothers college graduation next weekend. Univeristy of Notre Dame. He lettered on the Football Team. Great kid!

I have 7 brothers and sisters (I am the second oldest) and with his graduation, that makes all 8 of us who have completed at least four years of college. I think that is quite an accomplishment for my parents! My dad died a few years ago. It's a shame that he could not see the last one complete his degree.

My family struggled a lot growing up as we did not have a lot of money. 8 kids and a father who was a school teacher. But, we all got through college...it was drilled in our heads.

Any of you younger guys out there who don't think you can do it or are thinking about quitting, stick with it, no matter what.

I have TWO kids of my own, and I am dredding paying for college. I don't know how my parents did it. Out of 23 years, my parents have had at least one kid in college for 16 years of that time! Can you imagine that?

My Stang:
2000 Mustang GT Vert - Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter; C&L Plenum; BBK 75 mm TB; Steeda Strut Tower Supports; Black "Deep Dish" Bullet Wheels; FRPP 4.10's; Steeda Subframes; SLP Catback & SLP Catted X-Pipe; SCT 4 Position Chip with 3 custom tunes; Steeda CAI; Venom-1000 Nitrous; Roush Stage 3 Body Kit; Bullet Suspension Package (on the way)
xxxBlakexxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 02:16 PM   #2
Fox Body
Mustang Maniac

Thumbs up

Cool thread.

I learned a great deal during my college experience (which is only half over, btw-- got a BS in Chem, but haven't begun grad school yet), more than mere book knowledge. College has the potential to teach one more about one's self, how to endure, how to deal with rude people who are in charge (professors), structure, discipline, and a whole lot more. A good handful of times when things got rough, I thought about just quitting and getting a job so I could hurry up and build my 10sec dream car, but knew better.

On the other hand, hey, some people are fully content with working at Taco Bell, and if that is TRULY what they desire in life, then more power to them, cause you know, sometimes I need someone to make me that 7-Layer Burrito.

One great thing about this country is the opportunity we have here, education being one. Regarding putting kids through college on a low income, there's always a way. There's grants, scholaships, loans, funds, etc. Just depends on how determined one is.
Stock 5.8L under 4" cowl 'glass hood, C4 w/ Transgo shift kit, Holley 750 cfm, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake; Fluidyne Al radiator, Flexalite 175 electric fan, 1 5/8" MAC shorty headers, FRPP Al driveshaft; S&W 6-point cage; 2.5" Off road H-pipe, 2-chamber Flowmasters, 8.8" Rear w/ 3.55s; Weld wheels (15x6;15x8), Front: 225/60/15, Rear: 275/50/15 Nitto NT 555R Drag Radials;
14 x 4” K&N X-stream air filter.

'92 GT (5-speed)
Small In Car Video
Stock 5.0L, 2-chamber Flowmasters, MAC CAI, Tri-Ax, Al pedals...

"Red, thou art my companion. Hasten now your quickened metamorphosis to Green that I may conquer all who dare abide there beside me. May they be left thither behind burnt black." ---Fox Body
Fox Body is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 02:21 PM   #3
xxxBlakexxx
Registered Member

Fox Body:

Great response. You sound like a very itelligent person.

My Stang:
2000 Mustang GT Vert - Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter; C&L Plenum; BBK 75 mm TB; Steeda Strut Tower Supports; Black "Deep Dish" Bullet Wheels; FRPP 4.10's; Steeda Subframes; SLP Catback & SLP Catted X-Pipe; SCT 4 Position Chip with 3 custom tunes; Steeda CAI; Venom-1000 Nitrous; Roush Stage 3 Body Kit; Bullet Suspension Package (on the way)
Old 05-07-2004, 09:21 PM   #4
mustardjohn
Registered Member

And then oddly enough many of our most successful people as measured by net worth never went to college, or at least not for long. Bill Gates and Sam Walton would be examples.

But I agree with you guys. Getting a degree does show you can finish something that has some challenge and duration. A modicum of self discipline is required.

I have put three through but seven is above and beyond! One thing to look out for these days is the growing belief that undergraduate should take 5 years. Yeah you are going to do better, but it sure looks like a way for Universities to make more money.
Old 05-07-2004, 09:55 PM   #5
xxxBlakexxx
Registered Member

John, too true. There are many who are rolling in dough, with no degree. I have a close friend...no college. Just sold his house for $800k. But, the statistics state clearly otherwise.

College grads on the whole do much better than those w/o. You got to play the odds. If you find someone rich with no degree, chances are they took a big risk at some point along the line.

My Stang:
Old 05-07-2004, 10:21 PM   #6
Rev
Registered Member

Default Dollars?

IMHO, it's worth something to be educated, even if you're not rewarded in dollars.

Rev

O.B.C. #2

'66 coupe
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2004, 03:55 PM   #7
mustardjohn
Registered Member

Rev, I agree. Education does not stop at college either. Hey I'm still learning new stuff.

I tell my kids that education is a ticket to play but it isn't enough to win. Got to do something with it.
Old 05-10-2004, 01:45 PM   #8
Fox Body
Mustang Maniac

Thumbs up

Blake, thanks for the compliment.

I strongly agree with those last 2 comments (esp. Rev's). I love learning and though the education system can sometimes take the "fun" out of it with all the stress (for exams and such), it's well worth it all. I would suggest to anyone that if you're at least considering a college education, go for it. By all means use the resources that we have in this country and don't take them for granted.
Stock 5.8L under 4" cowl 'glass hood, C4 w/ Transgo shift kit, Holley 750 cfm, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake; Fluidyne Al radiator, Flexalite 175 electric fan, 1 5/8" MAC shorty headers, FRPP Al driveshaft; S&W 6-point cage; 2.5" Off road H-pipe, 2-chamber Flowmasters, 8.8" Rear w/ 3.55s; Weld wheels (15x6;15x8), Front: 225/60/15, Rear: 275/50/15 Nitto NT 555R Drag Radials;

'92 GT (5-speed)
Small In Car Video

"Red, thou art my companion. Hasten now your quickened metamorphosis to Green that I may conquer all who dare abide there beside me. May they be left thither behind burnt black." ---Fox Body
Old 05-11-2004, 06:38 PM   #9
stacy's stang
Registered Member

I agree that college is important. I have my 4 yr degree and feel proud that I did it. But it is perplexing that my husband only has a high school education and can't help my 12 yr old daughter with her homework, yet he makes considerable more money than I do. My brother-in-law dropped out of ninth grade and is very successful. He bought my sister a house on the bay in FL, she drives a mercedes and has more diamonds than you can imagine. I keep telling my daughter that it is important for her to get good grades so she can go to college, but it's hard to argue with her when she see's how well they are doing.
Old 05-11-2004, 07:13 PM   #10
Capri306

I'm going to put in my own two cents, as I'm going through college now, but first of all I agree with most every statement that's already been said. The cost is already going through the roof, and it's only going to get worse in years to come. Financial aid for those of us in the middle-income families SUCKS right now, and it's dropping steadily (relative to tuition amounts) because the universities around the country are jacking up tuition for no damned reason. They blame the government, I blame greedy Democratic bureaucrats trying to make the president look bad. I'm just lucky to have good enough credit and willling parents to cosign for loans. Moral of the story is to get in and get done quick....okay, don't read into that.

Add onto that the number of jobs going elsewhere, and the only other option being to work for the service industry, a.k.a. Taco Bell, the people with degrees are the only ones that are going to have any real money (of course there are those few exceptions).

I've already earned my associate degree in automotive engineering tech, but with how slow the industry has been, I thought it best to continue my education and get my B.S. in electrical engineering so I can get a job basically anywhere. I've never thought I've taken the wrong path with my decision, either. My friends who just have the automotive degree are still working at the same places they were working at to pay for community college!!! Some say the associate's was a waste of time & money, but I beg to differ; most of the general credits transfer to 4-year schools, and that's a good chunk of change right there I don't have to pay. I'm confident that I'll graduate with my BSEE and really not have to worry about whether I'll find work or not. There aren't many people these days that can say they could find work so easily, so that in itself is a reward.

Oh yeah, almost forgot the other 'perks' of college (nothing to argue, it's all true):
1. Freshmen girls (magic words: I have alcohol in my room)
2. Greek life
3. Alcohol, in massive amounts, for nearly free
4. Dorm life
5. Parties (goes with Greek life, but there are others)
6. Knowing that everyone else around you is just as broke
7. University food is a great way to lose weight/become bulimic
8. The only place you can walk around drunk and NOT go to jail
9. You finally learn to live on your own

...and yes, it was actually quite liberating for me on that last one. HAD TO get outta the house somehow...

Okay, nothing parents wanted to hear, I'm sure, but it's the best 4 (or more) years of your life, right?

1979 Mercury Capri
1987 5.0L Mustang LX Notchback
1993 5.8L Eddie Bauer Bronco

Last edited by Capri306; 05-12-2004 at 02:25 PM..
Capri306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 09:19 PM   #11
Fox Body
Mustang Maniac

Quote:
Originally posted by stacy's stang
I agree that college is important. I have my 4 yr degree and feel proud that I did it. But it is perplexing that my husband only has a high school education and can't help my 12 yr old daughter with her homework, yet he makes considerable more money than I do. My brother-in-law dropped out of ninth grade and is very successful. He bought my sister a house on the bay in FL, she drives a mercedes and has more diamonds than you can imagine. I keep telling my daughter that it is important for her to get good grades so she can go to college, but it's hard to argue with her when she see's how well they are doing.
I understand what you are saying. There are obviously some people that don't need (or care for) the college system. I'm sure we all know some like that. But, just as they didn't follow the college system, those of us without that type of character shouldn't follow them for the sake of following or envy. I know some folks who dropped out and ended up going back b/c dropping out wasn't a smart move for them. To each their own.

One thing about this awesome country is that we can use the education system to equip ourselves or not. If not, if we have the drive and entrepreneurship to "do it by ourselves", we have the freedom and resources to do so, but you just gotta be that kind of person.... In any case, if I ever have kids, I will STRONGLY encourage them to get college educations.

BTW, it's weird, but if I ever had the chance to do high school again, I'd never do it, but I can't say the same thing about college...

'92 GT (5-speed)
Small In Car Video

Old 05-12-2004, 06:31 PM   #12
carlos.elliott
Registered Member

I decided to go to college late in the game. I have already found my job I want to keep but am going to finish college. I joined the national guard to pay for school and plan on using all benifits coming to me.
carlos.elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2004, 09:31 PM   #13
xxxBlakexxx
Registered Member

Good for you Carlos...way to go!!!

- from a former Capt, USAR, 1-109th FA. 28 Div (PA - Nat Guard)

Regarding the tremendous financial sucess that some people have without degrees:

The two wealthiest people that I know personally where I live, have no degrees. One, took a huge risk early in life and it paid off. Bright guy who insists that his kids go to college. He regrets not going.

The other is as sharp as a bowling ball. Owns a big company and doesn't pay his workers crap. Acts poor while on the job, but goes home to his million dollar house and his wife with bad teath and a new $60,000 tile job in the kitchen.

You can take the girl out of the trailer, but not the trailer out of the girl.

My wife is extremely bright and hard working. She constantly gets me at things and kills me at scrabble. She dropped out early from college as the home situation was poor. I have a degree from a top university and, until about a year ago, earn with benefits five times what she makes. Although, she is catching up quickly recently. I think this is great.

Why has she done better $ over the last year? Because she took a risk and went into a full-comission job. At her rate of increases each month, she will be earning half what I do by the end of the year.

If you don't have the paper, you have to take a risk.

My Stang:
Old 05-14-2004, 07:09 AM   #14
carlos.elliott
Registered Member

I have been working on three diffrent associates degrees. Now that I am back I only need 4 classes for the closest one and 7 for the other two. I make ok money for what I do I think I am at 19 an hour but the over time is where I make a killing. I didn't need college to get there but wish I would have done it when I was on active duty and be done. It does get allot harder the older you get. But I survived Iraq and now life seams so much beter than it ever was as I saw what we have as americans and other countries don't have (like running water and flushable toilets). Now with my new stangs I want to start going to car shows the only other things to do is show my truck and ride the bike. Dreams make life fun and mustangs have become a dream to me.
Old 05-18-2004, 01:09 AM   #15
Skyman
I need 110mph Trap Speed!

I wish I could have afforded/ had the opportunity to do college. I ended up starting a business 3 yeras ago which has blossomed nicely for me. I do love education and miss furthering myself in that sometimes.

Pretty awesome that you guys all did that, and I have no clue how your parents afforded it.

RIP
----
1993 Notch w/ 98 4V 4.6 Fasttt...

-1989 Saleen Mustang #406-
12.32@109

-1999 Black Cobra Coupe-
JBA Shorties, Bassani Cat-X, Magnaflow 3", Pulleys, 85mm Pro-M, Ported Intake, Soild Rear w/ 4.30s, Tubular Front End, X2C arms, 13lb batt, few others.
Skyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 03:32 PM   #16
carlos.elliott
Registered Member

I am 30 yrs old and had to pay for it myself. I have been going for a while. The military helped pay for some of it which did help. The rest I did by workoing and going to school at the same time.