MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Stang Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 05-02-2002, 09:52 PM   #1
explicitone
Registered Member

Default your greatest race ever

What is your guys greatest race you have ever been in (you know with that guy that talking all kindas of smack or dissin your car or what not) Or has is girl in the car revin on ya at the light just to make him look stupid. Or your greatest race at the track or on the street where it was an over all a great race

________

Novi 2000
60' 1.46
1/4 10.67
mph 126.5
_________
explicitone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2002, 12:23 AM   #2
StoplightWarrior
Registered Member

The race that sticks out most in my mind happened last summer as I was driving home from seeing "The Fast and the Furious." My brother and I were looking for a race in my GT. We happened to pull up at a light next to a primered Nova. The guy revs at me, and when I look over, I see my best bud Ken riding shotgun in the Nova. He tells me that they are all out looking for a race for the Nova cause the guy had just finished the motor and wanted to show off. Also, there were 2 trucks full of Chevy guys behind the nova and they were all yelling about how I was going to get my butt handed to me. I told the Nova driver that he'd probably win, but that I was pretty quick too. He said "do your best, on Green it's on." Light went green, and I absolutely smoked this guy so bad, it was rediculous. I hooked perfectly and straight left him. I was so far ahead by 100 (he had let off) that I seriously could not see them in my rearview. I pulled over and put my hazards on so that they'd stop and we could talk, but the guy just drove past with the chevy guys behind giving me the thumbs up. The next day Ken told me the Nova guy was making all these excuses like he needed stickier tires and such. I think this guy was just an amatuer who tried unsuccessfully to build himself a rocket, and instead ended up with a high 14's ride. It was sweet, though.

1994 Cobra #4343
Bolt on's only...

Cofounder of Raccoon Racing
StoplightWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2002, 02:39 AM   #3
Skyman
I need 110mph Trap Speed!

I ran a 383 12.5:1 compression 69 elcamino. He just built the motor for 8,000 (got ripped). And was dying to race me.

It sounded dEATHLY. SO DAMN LOUD. We raced and ran DEAD EVEN ALL THE WAY TO THE END. I was taching out 4th gear at 6000rpm when we crossed the line. No one could tell who won.

Needless to say he was incredibly pissed and ended up selling the car and parting it out before the end of the mont.

My friend just bought his rims, lol.

The post could still be on here if u dig it up.

Skyler

RIP
----
1993 Notch w/ 98 4V 4.6 Fasttt...

-1989 Saleen Mustang #406-
12.32@109

-1999 Black Cobra Coupe-
JBA Shorties, Bassani Cat-X, Magnaflow 3", Pulleys, 85mm Pro-M, Ported Intake, Soild Rear w/ 4.30s, Tubular Front End, X2C arms, 13lb batt, few others.
Skyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2002, 06:05 PM   #4
Unit 5302
Registered Member

1972 Barracuda.

Edelbrock Intake
4bbl Carb
Hi Po Heads
Healthy cam
Aluminum Radiator
long tubes
custom exhuast
Hemi spec tranny
aluminum driveshaft
3.73's
drag radials

He had my 87GT out of the hole, but I stopped his pull, held even through the rest of 1st, started pulling a little in 2nd, and began to walk him in 3rd.

I thought I was gonna lose that one, but when all was said and done, I had him by 1/2 car. He was totally ticked when he found out he just got beat by a near bone stock 87GT with 150k.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2002, 12:05 AM   #5
gtsr515
Registered Member

Was bored one night, thought, "what happens when you really jack up the fuel pressure?" so i jack her up to 50psi or so, i head for my usual highway spot for a test "beat", lights turn out me next to a black NSX with this total babe ridin shotgun, well to make a long story short, i toasted him big time! and i was blowin fuel all over his nose!!!! LOL
Old 05-04-2002, 04:05 AM   #6
explicitone
Registered Member

One night on the way to this place were people get togather to hang out (taco bell). I stopped at a light and a camaro pulls up next to me with a guy and this hotttt ***** girl in the car. S o he took off on me because I did not not see the light go green (to busy lookin at his girl)well at the next light he was yelling kinds of crap like ford sucks buy a real car etc.etc..... . And he takes off on me again (same thing happened) well at the third light it was on and this time no girl no matter how fine she was was going to take my mind off the light and ripping this guy a new one. light goes green and it was on I took him off the line(some wheel spin) and then comes 2nd and I look over and he was still there hanging on like those dryer sheets that just dont to let go . At that point I his front end was at my door and here comes 3rd bang third goes in with the best 2-3 powershift that I have ever been able to pul;l off by now I pulled a car and a half so I think after that he let off . we got to the next light he was wining that I have a blower or n2o I was like nope ALL MOTOR . well he stayed with me for the next couple lights and wouldnt look over to me or even his girl.( maybe because see was lookin at me and smiling)to bad the car got killed in a hit and run it was a lot of fun and a he11 of a car now Im starting over with this one (but this I plan on making a lot faster and being more of a sleeper......

________

Novi 2000
60' 1.46
1/4 10.67
mph 126.5
_________
Old 05-04-2002, 08:00 AM   #7
MrWesson22
Registered Member

I don't street race much at all so don't have many kill stories. My closest race was against a WS6, but the one that was the most fun was against a good ole boy with a "built" (his words) 68 Nova 327. We ran on 316 at about 2am on a Monday night last summer from a light way on up -- I dunno how fast I was going when I let off, the speedo only goes to 120. The guy was a nice guy, I'd seen him pull into Waffle House (like I said, 2am monday night) and park right next to my car. He gave it a pretty good look over, so I waved at him when he came in. We got to talking... he had edelbrock heads, comp cam, hooker headers, etc etc.

At the end of 1st gear he had half a carlength on me (worn out trac-loc -- bad tire spin). I grabbed 2nd and instantly started pulling hard. By the time I grabbed 3rd, I had about 1.5 carlengths on him, end of 3rd, about 3 or 4.... kept going until I hit 5500 in 4th, and shut it down. It's hard to judge distance at night like that, but he had to be a ways back.

We pulled over afterwards to shoot the sh*t for a while.... really cool guy. He was just outgunned. It's always more fun to race someone that's cool about it afterwards and gracious in defeat, even if it's not the closest race.

69 stang
351C/4sp
MrWesson22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2002, 08:47 AM   #8
explicitone
Registered Member

Im sorry guys it can be any race street or strip .

________

Novi 2000
60' 1.46
1/4 10.67
mph 126.5
_________
Old 05-05-2002, 11:41 AM   #9
gtsr515
Registered Member

Talking Vette goes down 3 times in a row

Explicitone!, I am formerly from Elgin, Illinois, it's nice to meet you!
Is the cub foods/Schaumburg scene still the place to go?

Without a doubt, my favorite KILL was my low 13 LX, spankin a brand new LT1 vette, light, after light, after light. when we were finally able to make eye contact at the next light, he was literally speechless. LOL
Old 05-06-2002, 02:27 PM   #10
lyonsd
Registered Member

Default Re: your greatest race ever

Quote:
Originally posted by explicitone
What is your guys greatest race you have ever been in (you know with that guy that talking all kindas of smack or dissin your car or what not) Or has is girl in the car revin on ya at the light just to make him look stupid. Or your greatest race at the track or on the street where it was an over all a great race
I've been in a few. Beat a 300ZX TT on the top end, beat a '89 Formula 350 with a bone stock '88 Mustang GT, educated a few ricers, etc... Here's one that happened a year or so ago that will get most people's attention:

'88 Mustang vs. '87 GN

And what makes this even more special is the fact that I own both cars in the race.

I've been having some problems with my Mustang lately. I won't go into details though. But I got them worked out with the help of some cat from the Corral who lives nearby - Jared Rude.

So we took my Mustang out, with me behind the wheel and Jared in my '87 GN. We couldn't get a light, so this first time we went form a roll. Side by side, at about 30mph, we hit it. I was in 2nd. I pulled out ahead and got about 2-car lengths ahead. But I shut it down because I really wanted to go from a stop. This wasn't an even start.

This is the first time Jared has driven a GN. I gave him some pointers: I told him to put it in "D", launch at 2-3 psi and launch hard because I just had the posi put in and it hooks pretty good.

So we go down the road a ways and at the next light there's a bunch of traffic. That's the last good light on that road to race on, so we made a left, and turned around through this car wash and got a red light at the same intersection going in the opposite direction.

Now we're set: my car vs. my car. I rev the 'Stang up to around 2000-2500 rpm and Jared is brake-torquing the GN. Light goes green and I execute a textbook perfect launch, immediatly putting 1½-2 car lengths on my GN. I powershift second and get a nice loud SCREEEEECH and my GN is still there - 1½-2 car lengths. It stayed that way all the way through 2nd and 3rd gear, before I finally shut it down. Mustang wins by 1½-2 car lengths.

This is the first time my GN's been beaten in a street race. But since I wasn't diving I can still claim I'm undefeated with it.

Jared said he didn't have a very good launch. That's understandable since it was his first time behind the wheel of a turbo Regal. If he had gotten me off the line, he would have won. The cars were dead evenly matched.

The '88 Mustang
  • Mass air conversion with Pro-M 77mm mass air meter and K&N underhood cone filter
  • 65mm throttle body
  • Cobra intake
  • Stock heads, mildly ported with slightly bigger valves
  • Hedman long tube headers
  • Kenne-Bell Mark II-117R cam
  • Motorsport aluminum 1.6:1 roller rocker arms
  • 14º initial timing
  • Romac harmonic balancer
  • Bassani Off-road X-pipe & "Quiet Thunder" mufflers ("Quiet" Thunder my *** - these things are loud!)
  • 3-piece under-drive pullies
  • SPAL electric fan
  • Motorsport heavy duty clutch
  • 3.73 rear gears
  • MSD Digital-6 ignition
  • Traction enhancers: Lakewood traction bars, Global West full-length subframes, and BFG 275/50-15 Radial T/As in the rear

The '87 GN
  • 9" K&N underhod cone filter & aluminum inlet pipe
  • Jet-Hot coated Terry Houston downpipe & high-flow cat
  • Adjustable wastegate rod with boost set to 19-20 psi
  • 100 octane Thrasher chip with Sunoco 100 octane in the tank
  • Traction enhancers: HRpartsNstuff rear lower control arms, Eaton posi, and BFG 265/50-15 Radial T/As in the rear

Each car has other mods to support those listed above, like fuel system enhancements to supply the necessary fuel, plug wires, valve cover breathers, lower thermostats, etc.. Both are also running Mobil 1 synthetic oil.
lyonsd is offline   Reply With Quote