MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-24-2001, 12:03 AM   #1
Blue88
Registered Member

Post Buying a convertible - anything I should know?

I got the opportunity to pick up an '87 convertible for a decent price. I've never had a convertible before. Anyone have any tips or recommendations?

------------------
87 LX Convertible. 4 Cyl for now.
88 LX 5.0. Full Griggs in the mail.
Blue88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2001, 09:41 AM   #2
91LXConv
Registered Member

Talking

Yeah, get ready to have some fun (top down and hammer down)! The only real downsides to convertibles are their extra weight and less rigidity. A set of shallow rear gears and some chassis bracing will fix that right up though. Check my sig

------------------
1991 LX 5.0 Convertible:
AOD w/ shift kit, 3-piece Steeda chassis stiffening kit, 4-pt. roll-bar, 3.73s, K&N, MAC shorties and cat-backs, bad-ass Firestone SZ50EP tires (225/55 16). Underdrive pullies and white face guages coming.
91LXConv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2001, 11:08 AM   #3
Try Me
Registered Member

Cool

Congrats man, welcome to the topless club!

Sub-frames are a must for a vert' if you plan on driving it hard.
Other than that, everything else is basic performance know how.
Try Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2001, 11:34 AM   #4
GaryDawg
Registered Member

Thumbs up

Can't beat the driving experience... especially on a warm night cruising your main strip. Only negative thing I can think of is if it's white, you'll never be able to keep it clean. And it let's in a bit more noise especially when it's raining. I love my vert!

------------------
My '98 Vegas Pony

'98 Rio Red Clearcoat Convertible GT
Full black leather
K&N Filter
Kenny Brown Extreme Matrix Kit with Super Subs

GaryDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2001, 11:45 AM   #5
Dark Knight
Registered Member

Cool

and you need a roll bar to go 13.99 or quicker on the strip ;-(

------------------
84 convt,'95 302,AFR's, performer
3.55's, underdrives stock shorties
stock cam, 1.7's
14.06@100.21, 255RWHP on a hot day
265 on the mph/weight chart

Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2001, 10:43 PM   #6
rbatson

Dark Knight: I guess that would depend on the strip, I've gone 13.8s a couple years in a row with out a cage or rollbar.

Blue88: LOL you already have it in your sig! Heeh! DO NOT take it through an automatic car wash.. you will take a bath! Hand wash only unless the car wash is set up for convertibles. Also.. do not use armor all on the top.. I don't care what anyone says! Unless you plan on armor alling it every week.. when the armor all dries it will dry out your top and make it brittle. You can buy stuff to clean it with but I just use regular car wash stuff(as I'm washing the car) or plain water(I think is best). Enjoy!!

------------------
Rick
My 89lx(updated 2/21/2001)
My 97 Cobra
Old 04-25-2001, 12:27 AM   #7
Motorhead302
Registered Member

Yeah, put the top up when it rains. lol

------------------
95 GT
Pulleys, headers, off road, 3.55's, Tremec 3550, Cobra Clutch
14.4's @ 96mph before exhaust
Beats auto LS1's after
Visit my homepage

Motorhead302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2001, 02:07 AM   #8
Blue88
Registered Member

I picked it up today. It was listed wrong - it's really an '88. Nothing wrong with adding another '88 to the stable. Anyway...

91LXConv - I think convertibles should come from the factory with a roll bar. I don't want to go out like Jayne Mansfield or Jerome Brown. I noticed in your sig that you have a 4-pt. roll bar. Who made it? How is it working out? Did you tie it in with the subframes?

Try Me - I can't drive it hard yet. It's just a 4-banger right now. A seriously underpowered, oil-burning 4-banger. I do have a donor car (wrecked 89 5.0 w/ a T5 and 3.73s) sitting in my garage. "Project Transplant" should be a lot of fun!

GaryDawg - I'm going to avoid the rain for a while. I have a right-angle 2" tear in the top. It was patched but it wasn't a very good job. Also, there's a gap in the molding against the passenger's side window. Believe me, I'll be keeping an eye on the weather channel...

Dark Knight - 13.99 will take a while. I'll be stiffening the chassis before I swap the engine/drivetrain.

rbatson - Is there any type of vinyl protector that you recommend using on the top, or should I just keep it clean? Also, do you know of any good 'small tear' repair kits?

Motorhead302 - A friend of mine has a Jeep Wrangler. He's been caught in the rain without the top on. Believe me - I have the Weather Channel on TurboTune.

------------------
88 LX Convertible. 4 Cyl. for now. Desperately in need of a heart transplant.
88 LX 5.0 Hatch. Mostly stock. Full Griggs in the mail.
Blue88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2001, 03:21 PM   #9
Moxie
Registered Member

For a vinyl top protectant, that 303 stuff seems to work pretty well. It's usually sold at truck accessory places for tonneau covers, but they're also vinyl, so it does the job on tops, too.

------------------
Moxie Racing

The Nitrous Oxide Information Site
Moxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2001, 08:10 PM   #10
rbatson

I just keep mine clean. I can't recommend anything but water.. thats all I use. I had the top replaced on the 89vert in 95, it still looks good.
Old 04-25-2001, 08:31 PM   #11
dinomite
The Dude

rbatson - I can completely agree with you on the car wash. I tried it once, and was glad that I had a towel with me!
On armoralling the top, my dad has been armoralling the top on his (now my) 90LX since the day we got it. We only armor all it a few times a year, usually over the summer and the top is still in good shape. No matter what you do, if the car gets rained on within a week or two after you put stuff on the top, will streak on the windows. Just use some windex to clean it up.
dinomite is offline   Reply With Quote