MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-09-2002, 01:51 AM   #1
silverv6
Registered Member

Angry Can somebody tell me who I can contact about my situation?

About 1 1/2 months ago I took my Stang to the dealer because the headlight bulbs burned and melted my headlight sockets (the bulbs were factory). I took it to the dealer because it had 38,354 miles on it and my warranty expired at 36,000 miles.

When I took it to the dealer I had replaced the bulbs with some Sylvania 'Cool Blue' bulbs. You can buy these at Kragen or Auto Zone. Well, they eventually fixed it; they installed new headlight sockets but they left in the Sylvania bulbs that I bought at AutoZone. They said that the bulbs were the right kind and they didn't needed to replace them.

Last week my two headlight bulbs burned out again and melted my headlight sockets!

Well, yesterday I took my Stang to the dealer where I bought it and today they told me I melted my sockets because I had 'blue' light bulbs on. I argued with the guy and told him that the bulbs that it had in it were the same ones it had when I brought it in the last time. The guy argued "No, no, we gave you your car back the last time with Ford factory bulbs". I told him 'no' and I said "You told me last time that the bulbs that it had were O.K. and didn't need to be replaced".

He still argued that it had factory bulbs and that I put blue bulbs on it and that those 'new' bulbs had a higher wattage and melted the sockets. I told him "Let me see the bulbs" and he said "There still on the car". I opened it up and saw the bulbs and I told him "These are the same ones I had last time and you told me they were O.K". And (again) he kept saying "No". So I slammed my hood and left.

There were other people around and they were hearing our discussion. Later I went to AutoZone (where I bought my Sylvania bulbs) and I told the guy about my problem: that Ford was blamimg the 'Cool Blue' bulbs that I had bought there and installed on the 'Stang.

The guy at AutoZone looked up the bulbs and he said; "These bulbs are the same size (9007) and wattage (66/55) as the factory bulbs". And then he said and "These aren't 'blue light' bulbs, there regular - with the white beam". Then he said that the problem is that there is something wrong with my wiring - or that when they fixed my headlight sockets they probably wired it wrong. He said there is no problem with the bulbs and they aren't a higher wattage. There the same as 'factory' bulbs from Ford.

I asked the guy if there is a way I can contact Sylvania (the bulb company) or something because I really don't think its fair that now the Ford dealership is backing away and not wanting to fix something that they had fixed before and now they are blaming me for the bulbs that it has - which they left in the car the first time and told me "These bulbs are OK".

On my first visit to the dealership I ended up paying $192. Now they want another $192 to fix it cuz they are saying that the warranty on the labor of fixing the headlights is void because I had the 'blue' light bulbs. I DIDN'T! I had their regular bulbs (white); the bulb looks blue - but its not.

Can someone tell me what can I do? I really need some headlights in my car but I'm not gonna pay $192 for a job that probably wasn't well done in the first place.

The bulbs are "Sylvania CoolBlue" 9007 65/55 watts. Their the same as a Ford bulb 9007 65/55 watts and both of them produce a white beam, NOT blue.

I really need some headlights! I'm driving with my fog lights since last week.

Please tell me what can I do because they now say my warranty on the hradlight socket labor is void.

True dual exhaust: two 2 chamber Flowmasters
18"wire wheels <100spoke> on lowprofile tires

Waiting for MAC cai and BBK throttle body

Last edited by silverv6; 01-09-2002 at 01:59 AM..
silverv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2002, 02:15 AM   #2
Mercury
The Redneck James Bond

The First time, Did you take the car in for this prior to the warranty expiring. If its a repeat problem, I believe there's a way you can work around the expired warranty.

Have you considered trying another dealership in your area? If it comes down to it. Talk to the higher ups, like the manager of the facility, or go even higher up the ladder.

You'd be surprised what you can accomplish with a few well placed complaints to the right people.

I wish you luck, and am sorry to hear about your problem.
Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2002, 02:31 AM   #3
silverv6
Registered Member

the first time I took it to get fixed I had already passed the 36,000 miles and they told me I had to pay. The reason I took it there is because thats the dealer ship I bought it from. Ill see if I can take it to another dealer. The thing that makes me mad is that the first time that they fixed it they left the bulbs in the Sylvana ones and now they say thats wat caused the problem and they deny leving those bulbs in and they say that they had replaced them with factory ones the first time. Thanks for the info Mercury ill see if I can talk to one of the higher guys. Do u mean from that dealer?
Old 01-09-2002, 02:45 AM   #4
Mercury
The Redneck James Bond

Yes, try one of the higher ups at the dealership. Dont worry about bieng a nuissance either. Call, or go in a few times during the week if you feel like it.

If that doesnt work, ask for the regional manager. Besure to emphasize that it was faulty work the second time. It will seem like alot of work to do to get the repair done right.

Since you had it done out of warranty, I would stay with that dealership then.

I know from a few people that work at Ford Dealerships that the Customer will get his way if he is persistant enough.

Seems to be that way in my line of work to. As soon as the local terminal finds out that the customer is serouis about his complaint, and seeing that it doesnt happen again, we (Meaning the local terminal manager, not me) will bend over backyards to keep a regional complaint from bieng made.

I hope I was able to help out some. Its worth a try if nothing.
Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2002, 07:44 AM   #5
1969Mach1
HEY I CAN SET A NAME NOW!

I agree with Merc. be very presistent if you notice nothing is getting done, always stay on top of them. But in a way don't be a jerk to them, don't try to look like the bad guy cause that won't help you get your problem fixxed. Thank them when you get something done, and tell them your a proud Ford owner and don't expect this from them. But that is deffinitly there fault. You probably just got some ******* guy trying to pretend he's all that in his job. Why are there so many stupid people out there?

1979 Mustang Indianapolis 500 Pace Car **For Sale - Email me for Info**
302-2V, 3-Speed Auto
One of 2,106 made
One of 405 sent to Canada.
Yes those are caution lights, and No you can't pass me when there on.

Ricer Hater's Club - Member #4
1969Mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2002, 04:18 PM   #6
DRASTiK
Registered Member

I also agree with the above posts, however when you start to go up that ladder, be cool, don't just start yelling at everybody. It's just as effective, if not more effective, to be polite and complain at the same time. They will hear the tone of your voice and most people will understand and work with you better if you don't just start pissing them off.

I had problems with a bank taking two payments from me at one time, which killed my bank balance and was gonna make me start bouncing other payments. I spent 3 weeks on the phone with these people trying to get them to fix their mistake. The people that answered the phones were doing what they could, but the manager was the one who kept messing it all up. Nothing happened until I told the person I was speaking with "no offense to you, I know it's not your fault, but please let your manager know that this has taken too long, and the next time she hears about this will be from my attorney." The employee I was speaking with understood, and took no offense, relayed the message, and wouldn't you know it, I had my money back with in 3 hours. I know if I had just been yelling at the person on the phone who had nothing to do with it and was no more than a messenger between me and the manager, than I wouldn't have gotten it done that fast.

If that doesn't work either, then post it and we'll all come up with other ideas of more extreme measure.
Good Luck man, and remember Don't ever lose your COOL
Dave
DRASTiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2002, 07:59 PM   #7
Rev
Registered Member

Look in your owner's manual under "warranty". I believe there is a route to the reginal office for resolution of problems with the dealer. I would politely inform the service manager that you're going there next to get this resolved. My bet is that the problem will be resolved before that happens.

Rev

O.B.C. #2

'66 coupe
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2002, 09:16 PM   #8
silverv6
Registered Member

Thanks guys I'll do that.

Thats good advice D&R Stang; not to get pissed at them. Today I called the dealer and I left a message but I never got a call back I'll also look up the info in my owners manual.

I think its messed up that in the first place you go there and buy a car and you expect to get treated good afterward. I feel that now that my warranty expired on my car they really don't care about the customer unless they pay! I only have 1 year and 2 months with it but I drive it a lot cuz I use it to go to work.

I think this dealership just has poor service.
My parents have Ford cars too and they bought them at another Ford dealer and now I realise I should have bought my Stang at the dealer where my parents got their cars. The service is much better there and its way closer to were I live. Oh well.

I have one more question guys: Since they refuse to fix my car because (they say) the warranty on the labor is void because of the bulbs (but the bulbs are not the problem) and if they refuse to fix something they 'repaired' and now it's not working right...can you sue the dealership?
I told the guy I wasn't gonna pay another $200 if the parts are still under warranty but he (conveniently) assumes that its my fault - but its not.

I was told by some guys I know that maybe theres a problem with my wiring as it comes from the factory or that when they 'fixed' it the first time they wired it incorrectly.
Now they blame me and claim that I had non-factory bulbs in it which - in the first place - they left in and said they were O.K. the first time they fixed it but now they claim that they never said that and that they gave me my car back with factory bulbs which is not true.

I really need these lights on my car because I work at night and Im driving on my fog lights right now.
Old 01-09-2002, 09:19 PM   #9
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Thumbs down

The Ford dealer will have a record of everything they did to the car last time, including whether or not they replaced the bulbs. You can certainly have them check their records and print them up for you to prove that part.

Buy another package of the Sylvania bulbs, don't open them. They will have the DOT approved information somewhere on the packaging and ratings that you can bring to the dealer. The part is fine. Also, elevate the situation as suggested above.

This kind of stuff is ridiculous. Domestic auto makers wonder why they get such bad press?
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2002, 09:44 PM   #10
silverv6
Registered Member

Unit 5302:

Thats a good idea. I'll buy a package of the bulbs that burned out and take it to the dealer, leave them closed and show them their the right size (9007 and 65/55 watts). I'll even tell them to try them out and to see that they don't produce a blue beam. They produce a white beam just as the factory bulbs do.

I'm looking for the receipt were they put what they did to the car the last time. I remember that it said they left the Sylvania bulbs on.

I hope this helps me out and if not I'll just talk to the higher-up guys and if that doesn't work I'll have no choice but to sue the dealer.

The guy is so full of it when he said they were blue bulbs. O.K. one light socket is completly burned and it doesn't work at all but the other one is burned (but not that bad) and it works sometimes but you can totally tell they aren't blue bulbs because that bulb - when you look at it from the front - you can tell is a white beam not a blue one.
Old 01-09-2002, 10:54 PM   #11
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Nah, don't open them. You can take them back and get your money back if they are unopened. I'd also advise against allowing the Ford dealer to play with the bulbs. You already have bulbs out of the box to mess with. That, and the box should be proof enough.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2002, 11:08 PM   #12
Rev
Registered Member

You can't sue the dealer. Not enough $$$ involved to interest any lawyer. What you could mention is that you're having to drive at night with your fog lights and your just hoping that no accident results due to the delay in repairing the problem from they're NEGLIGENCE (key word here). That might interest they're lawyers.

Rev

O.B.C. #2

'66 coupe
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2002, 01:41 AM   #13
silverv6
Registered Member

Thanks Guys:

The dealership's refusal to fix my headlights for free because even though the parts are still under warranty but they now claim the problem is my fault and they want to charge me, well, wouldn't that interest a lawyer?
Old 01-10-2002, 01:44 AM   #14
6T9PONY
All about the Windsor.

Hmmm.....Judge Mills Lane.....haha.....small claims court maybe?
6T9PONY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2002, 11:02 AM   #15
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

Angry

silverv6:

An attorney won't consider your 'case' until you've gone through all the steps in the established Ford company procedure manual to try and resolve the problem. That's why all car companies have this chain of complaint resolution, to avoid lawsuits (and as a secondary reason, to keep customers happy).

Follow the advice given previously; stay calm and cool, show the manager a package of the Sylvania bulbs (with the wattage information on it) and most important, show him that receipt that indicates the dealers mechanics left the Sylvania Cool Blue bulbs in the new sockets they installed. If you can't find it, the dealership will have a copy of it.

That should resolve it right there, as the manager may be making an honest mistake but more likely, he's just trying to blow you off so the dealership doesn't have to make good on a faulty repair job (and lose money).

It stinks, but dealerships make a large portion of their income on repairs and when they do warranty work it's a low-to-no profit situation that they naturally want to avoid. Too bad.

You have a valid point and proof that they screwed up and owe you a repair job, for free.
The safety issue is a valid one that you should bring up, calmly and without making threats, but mention it as it carries some real weight.

Let the owner of the dealership know that you're disappointed in their 'service' and that you'll be telling everyone you know that they do not stand behind their work. Can't hurt, but you have to do this in a mature manner, not slamming doors and shouting or they'll just dismiss you as some hothead kid trying to 'get something for nothing'. You're not of course, but sometimes attitude can either screw you or help you and since you need the lights fixed immediately, the right attitude is a good weapon to use when attempting to get what you want, and what you deserve.

Good luck.
Mr 5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2002, 11:58 PM   #16
silverv6
Registered Member

Unhappy "Still no response"

"Still no response"

Well for the past week ive been leaving messages on the aswering machine. Well the reason I havent gone to the dealer is because its a 35 to 40 minute drive. And I really cant be goin every time because I work. So I just been calling the dealer and I tell the lady I want to speak to the manager of the service and she sais "one moment" and I get transfered and the phone rings and it always sais im not at my desk or im speakin on the phone please leave a message and ill call u back soon. well ive been leaving him messages and to the guy that was arguing with me ive left messages to him also. Im really tired of this im just gona keep calling and calling. I really need those head lights fixed. But I refuse to pay for something they did wrong. Im lookin for the note they gave me the first time were it said they left the bulbs on. I really cant pay another $200 right now I got already a $350 car payment and $130 insurance. Plus other payments But Ill try again tomorrow.