MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 02-11-2002, 04:27 PM   #1
91PA5liter
Registered Member

Question Class Action Suit Against Ford????

Hey has anyone else gotten anything in the mail recently about a class action suit against ford and the distrubuter fail due to over heateing? I just got something in the mail about it today. Just wondering what others have heard about this. Thanks
91PA5liter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2002, 05:00 PM   #2
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

I pulled this from the website of The Center for Auto Safety:

After five years of litigation, a settlement has been reached in a national class action in California, Howard v. Ford Motor Co., that will reimburse owners for ignition module failures that occurred withing the first 100,000 miles, and will extend the warranty to 100,000 miles for any vehicle still under this mileage. For more information, go to:

www.tfisettlement.com.

Some trial attorneys group is probably putting together a Class Action Suit based on the California decision and sending notices out to anyone with a registered Ford vehicle that falls under the TFI module classification. Don't expect much from this.
In these suits, the attorneys always get millions in fees and the plaintiffs (you and me) get a dollar or two, if that.

I replaced my TFI module two years ago when I turned 100,000 on my LX, just to be cautious and not get stuck (it happened to a friend of mine, 200 miles from home- on a Sunday).

I would love Ford to reimburse me the $100. I paid them for the replacement module but I'm not holding my breath. Neither should you.
Mr 5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2002, 05:11 PM   #3
91PA5liter
Registered Member

what is this 'TFI module' thing anyway? I'm new to Mustangs.
You guys are my main sorce of info. My car only has 65,000 miles on it so not too many things have gone wrong on it.

Thanks again...
91PA5liter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2002, 05:33 PM   #4
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

Lightbulb TFI info

91PA5liter:

The TFI stands for Thick Film Ignition. The module itself consists of some solid state electronic components suspended in a thick, clear electrolytic film, hence the name: TFI.

The TFI module (also known as a spark module) is necessary to control the spark output of the ignition system via the EEC (electronic engine control) computer.
A signal from the TFI module is sent to the EEC and the computer then controls the spark to the spark plugs. The TFI module is a very necessary component of the entire EEC-IV engine management system.

Depending upon the engine, the module is usually found on the distributor itself, on the front of the engine
Mr 5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2002, 06:00 PM   #5
silverv6
Registered Member

Mr 5.0 up to what year is this problem and is it just for mustangs?

91PA5liter I havent gotten anything in the mail from ford but I got a letter from Verizon Wireless theirs a lawsuit against Wat formerly was Air touch.
silverv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2002, 07:40 PM   #6
7DMACH1
Registered Member

GO TO www.tfisettlement.com. This is a class action suite that's not even settled yet. Please don't call the Dealer we have nothing to do with it. All the info you need is on this site. We have rec'd hundreds of phone calls and we have nothing to do with it. THANX RAY THE PARTS MGR.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7dcard finished.jpg (4.7 KB, 7 views)
7DMACH1 is offline   Reply With Quote