MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Poll: What's your opinion on faking a desireable/collectable car?
Poll Options
What's your opinion on faking a desireable/collectable car?

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.67 average. Display Modes
Old 11-21-2002, 05:17 AM   #1
20LbsBoost

Default Clones or Replicas

A seperate thread inspired me to start this since one of my cars is erroneously considered one.

What is the purpose of making your car appear to be what it isn't, such as a "clone" or "replica" of a rare and desireable car?

We see this primarily with the RICE crowd. In my opinion, be proud of what you have. Don't fake your ride to be something it isn't, it's insulting to those who worked hard to pay for the real thing (please don't take offense to this for those who may have a fake). In fact, it bugs me to see faked GNX's run around, and I see quite a few. What's the point? If you want a GNX that badly then work for the money to join the exclusive group that own genuine examples. What makes the real cars so desireable is the rarity. In fact, as I type this a couple more examples of what I'm talking about are the Shelby GT-350's and 500's and Shelby Cobras. I'd get ticked if I paid dearly for the real deal and see very good replicas at car shows I attended. It takes away from the mystique of the genuine articles.

Fortunately for me, a fake of what I own is tough to make.

Ok, enough ranting.....whaddya think?
Old 11-21-2002, 09:14 AM   #2
95mustanggt
Registered Member

I voted "OK if it looks good". ONLY because a replica CAN be OK, as long as no one tries to pass it off as an ORIGINAL!!

If I did my 95 up like a 95 Cobra R, I would say, "This is my 95 Cobra R replica, built from a 95 GT".

Otherwise it's LAME. There is a very fine line here.

20016 F150 Lariat Super Crew
95mustanggt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2002, 11:45 AM   #3
tireburner163
It's a lot like a race car

Depends....

If you put some Saleen ground effects on your car....fine I don't care

But if you put Cobra emblems and body parts on your GT and try to pass it off as a Cobra.....I think it's lame

1998 HD Electra Elide
tireburner163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2002, 12:35 PM   #4
95mustanggt
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tireburner163
...if you put Cobra emblems and body parts on your GT and try to pass it off as a Cobra.....I think it's lame
Exactly! Passing a car off as an original is very lame.

Old 11-21-2002, 12:46 PM   #5
The Deuce
Registered Member

I voted for 'as long as it looks good'

This is shaped by the proliferation of fibergalss Deuce's into the hot rodding world, and the FFR Cobras, which have their own race series.

Cars like that look good, and no one really tries to pass them off as originals.

Rice Haters Club Member #13
The Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2002, 12:50 PM   #6
95mustanggt
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by The Deuce
...Cars like that look good, and no one really tries to pass them off as originals.
]
Not with cars like that, but there are a few fake Saleens, and mock Cobras (Mustang) out there

Old 11-21-2002, 01:15 PM   #7
20LbsBoost

Quote:
Originally posted by 95mustanggt

Not with cars like that, but there are a few fake Saleens, and mock Cobras (Mustang) out there
Yea, that's primarily what I was talking about. Someone badging their car up, putting the same ground effects and rims on say a Cobra or Mustang GT and trying to pass it off as the real thing. To me that's cheezy....
Old 11-21-2002, 01:17 PM   #8
silver_pilate
DURKA DURKA!!

Ok as long as it looks good.

I personally happen to like the cobra rear bumper cover and front air damn. I also like the clean side skirts. Have a put a ground effects cobra kit on my GT? No. Would I? Maybe.

However, I would not try and pass it off as a real cobra (mine's much faster than a real '93 cobra, anyhow ).

I do really like the Shelby Cobra replicars. I would build one if i had the money. It would have an insance engine combo coupled with light weight. Those kind of replicas are alright to me.

I do think it's rediculous to swap brands when replicating, however. Like some of those Hondas we've seen wearing Mustang fronts and side vents. That, to me, is just plain rediculous.

--nathan
'91 GT, Coast 347, 9.5:1 compression, full intake, Wolverine 1087 cam, exhaust, Keith Craft ported Windsor Jr. Irons (235 cfm intake, 195 cfm exhaust), AOD, PI 3500 converter, Lentech valve body, 3.73's (4.10's in the works), and Yokohama ES100's out back.

Daily Car: '04 Infiniti G35 Sedan 6MT
silver_pilate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2002, 01:19 PM   #9
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

I hate fake cobra's, they get raped by the LS-1's and give SVT a bad name. When I got my cobra and started beating some LS-1's they said this is the fastest 96-01 cobra I have ever seen.

Then there friend pulled up in his 98GT with cobra emblems on it. I ask him is that a real cobra he said yeah. Then I smoked him by 11 or so car lengths and exposed the poser for what he is.

Lame!!

If SVT didnt build it its not a cobra.....
Dark_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2002, 05:32 PM   #10
BlueMust5089
Registered Member

like every one else said as long as you don't try to pass it off as a real one let them have it if they try pull their card
Old 11-21-2002, 07:06 PM   #11
88coupe
Registered Member

Im down with clones as long as they look good and can back up or exceed the performace of the car they are imaitating.

Heh, I think this thread was started when 20Pounds read my racing story and I was talking about my friends Mustang... for the record it doesn't have a fake number on the bumper or anything, just the ground effects and wing... hell its got cobra R's on it too... not much of a clone really
88coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2002, 08:59 PM   #12
PKRWUD

A customer of mine has an original 1969 Camaro SS350 that he is restoring. It is a very nice car, and has all the details and numbers just perfect. His best friend has a stunning 1967 Chevelle SS427. The Camaro is a stock resto, but the Chevelle is mildly built. It has Centerlines on it, but it looks like it came that way. It's a very well done fake. It has all the Super Sport emblems, including 1967 SS427 front and rear badges. It really has a 427 in it, too, but it's still a fake.

He doesn't ever tell anyone that it's real, but when kids drool over it at the gas station, he just lets them think whatever they want. If they were to ask, he'd tell them the truth, but he doesn't have signs on the doors saying "This car is a fake". That would defeat the purpose. he put a lot of time and money into it, and it shows.

Which one would I rather have? The Chevelle. The Camaro is worth more, but the Chevelle is a daily driver, if you want it to be, without any concerns.

As long as it looks good as a practical package, and you don't try to pass it off as an original, I see nothing wrong with it. If the Chevelle I just told you about was a four door, I would be very much against the idea.

Make sense?

Take care,
~Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2002, 08:59 PM   #13
musrcng
Registered Member

OK as long as it looks good

I say thi because we cant all afford the nice cars and if you don't try to push it off as real thats cool with me I cant afford a shelby but I could build one that looks just as good nothing wrong with that as long as i'm truthful about it
musrcng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2002, 09:24 PM   #14
20LbsBoost

I can agree with 99% of what's said here and I gather the consensus of opinions indicates it's ok as long as someone doesn't try to pass it off as the "real deal".

That's cool....
Old 11-21-2002, 11:28 PM   #15
jj_jonathon
Trisket

if i decided to cover my car with all the saleen parts or cobra parts i would keep my GT badging...honestly i think its badass to see a killer GT...

chevelles rock btw...my dad had a 67 vert, true ss (matching #s)...it was rare, esp in canada...thing had a 396 in it...dont know what he had done to it...but the thing ran 10s n/a....beastly cars...

My 02GT vert
Media Center Pics
BBK Underdrive Pulleys | K&N FIPK (Gen II) | Bullet Grille | Mach 1 Chin Spoiler | UPR Interior Parts | XM Radio | Audiobahn Subs

Ricer Hater's Club Member #1/2 (30) http://www.ricehatersclub.com/
jj_jonathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2002, 11:58 PM   #16
BLOCKER
Registered Member

Here is a question for you,

My Car is a Candian sold is 1988 Mustang COBRA GT, it is identical to 1988 Mustang GT sold in the states except for the little fact that FORD put a COBRA decal on the rear hatch and called it a "COBRA" (I even have the brochure for the year to prove it), now would my car be considered a clone, or fake if I told you that it was a COBRA, but never deniying the fact that it is just a decal.

further more, if I put a 93 Ground FX and decaling on it , and called it a 1988 cobra with 93 Ground FX and decaling would it be a "fake" or just building it to look like I want?

just a question(s) I thought I would throw out there?
-2008 Harley Davidson Nightster 1200
-2008 Harley Davidson Night Rod Special
-1997 Jaguar XK8 Convertable
BLOCKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2002, 01:46 AM   #17
PKRWUD

Anytime anyone tries to pass off a vehicle as something more than it really is, it's a fake.

Better?

lol
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2002, 02:08 AM   #18
20LbsBoost

Quote:
Originally posted by BLOCKER
Here is a question for you,

My Car is a Candian sold is 1988 Mustang COBRA GT, it is identical to 1988 Mustang GT sold in the states except for the little fact that FORD put a COBRA decal on the rear hatch and called it a "COBRA" (I even have the brochure for the year to prove it), now would my car be considered a clone, or fake if I told you that it was a COBRA, but never deniying the fact that it is just a decal.

Further more, if I put a 93 Ground FX and decaling on it , and called it a 1988 cobra with 93 Ground FX and decaling would it be a "fake" or just building it to look like I want?
just a question(s) I thought I would throw out there?
I'd say you have a REAL "Canadian" '88 Mustang Cobra GT that you've customized. It was sold as a factory machine the way it is....so be it, not to mention you have dealer brochures to back it up. You're not pretending it's something it's not. That's pretty cool in my book!
Old 11-22-2002, 06:23 AM   #19
95mustanggt
Registered Member

Ya I have to agree. You bought the car as a Cobra from Factory. It's just not an SVT Cobra

Old 11-22-2002, 02:56 PM   #20
Conman
Registered Member

I don't care if it's a fake or not but what bothers me is when the badging doesn't match the motor. The ground FX and wheels are fine because they look different and look better most of the time but if you are going to put cobra badges on the car it better have a motor similar or better than the cobra. Or like the v-tec stickers that the ricers like. It shouldn't say v-tec or type R unless it actually is.

The only time I think it is fine to not have matching badges to motor is when building a sleeper and the motor is actually bigger than the badges say.

I also DON'T think faking numbers on a car as in the saleen's case is cool. For things such as this, only the originals should be that way

'88 lx, Black on Black, check it out here

Spent all my money on school, what a dumb mistake

I'm old enough to know better, but still too young to care.
Conman is offline   Reply With Quote