MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 09-20-2000, 11:29 AM   #1
King Snake
Registered Member

Post Cold Air Intake Discussion

I am considering a cold air intake system. I was thinking about either the MAC or BBK (very similar designs) with the chrome, mandrel belt tubing. They sure look good, but I have heard the metal tubes get really hot and subsequently defeats its purpose, and can even hurt performance. I am now trying to find a system for my snake with a plastic air tube instead of metal. Does anyone know of a company who makes one?

------------------
'97 Cobra, K&N, 3.73s, Rio Red

[This message has been edited by King Snake (edited 09-20-2000).]
King Snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2000, 07:46 PM   #2
Dino
Registered Member

You might want to check WMS Racing in Calgary.
http://www.wmsracing.com

They call it the WMS Velocity tube and you can get it with or without the calibrated 87mm MAF. Good luck

*** just checked out the site and it does indeed look like a metal tube. Worth taking a look at though.

------------------
96 GTS, 4.6L, 5 spd, MAC cat H-pipe, straight pipe mufflers, 3.55's, pulleys, air silencer removed
*** coming soon : WMS cold air induction w/87 mm MAF, subframes, shifter

86 GT Convertible, 5.0L, 5 spd.
1986 Mustang GT Convertible ***2 pics of the stang and one of me***

[This message has been edited by Dino (edited 09-20-2000).]
Dino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2000, 04:16 PM   #3
RAS 96GT
Registered Member

Cool

Dinos right, I've heard nothing bad about the WMS & Pro-M combo yet. I'm considering it. I use to have the MAC CAI but unfortunately had to bow out because of idle problem and a mean decelleration lean surge. Tried everything but the kitchen sink.. too bad because it looked really good and performed top end w/no concerns about the metal pipe. Maybe It'll be diferent on a cobra. Check out houston performance- Good luck

------------------
-Rich Lazer Red 96GT, K&N, Steeda Pullies, Mobile 1 Synth, NGK TR55s,Pro 5.0 Shifter, 3.27 Gears, and more to come.
RAS 96GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2000, 04:36 PM   #4
Try Me
Registered Member

I have a MAC fenderwell kit.
Changes:
- Increased fuel consumption "due to increased air flow
- A nice hollow-sucking-deep-tone when i hit 3 grand, but you really have to know your car to pin point it.

Was it faster? I can't tell. For $250 canadian ($25 US), i think it's a little steep for such little gains.
If were to do over again, i'd put my money towards gears or an H-pipe instead.

V-8's don't respond as well to filter charger kits as do the 4 cylinder engines.
Try Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2000, 08:47 PM   #5
91LX2Bfast
Registered Member

Your best bet is to see check into an Anderson Ford Power Pipe. They have that "HPC" coating to reflect heat for an additional charge. DOHC Cobras are sensitive to cold air intake swaps. If there is not enough tube in front of the mass air meter to build air velocity, you car may actually lose power. But Anderson Ford has probably the best intake for the DOHC, you will expect to pay about $210, or $260 if you want it coated, but I have heard 12-15HP to the wheels, but not positive. Check them out for yourselve.
V8's can benifit just as well from a well designed cold air intake, but most kits are cheap and not much time is put into testing and engineering for power, and the filter usually is not in an optimal location. The main factor in 4cyl getting so much power is the testing behind them. The main player, AEM, makes each intake to custom to each enigine, and tube diameter and lenght is of the up most importance. But they cost anywhere from $250-300. Basically you get what you pay for. You want a $100 intake, you get a product that has basically no testing behind it, you pay $250, you get the best HP possible.

------------------
1997 Thunderbird 4.6L, just bought, this thing has just about every option, let the mods begin

Recently totaled (tear): 91 LX 5.0L 5 spd Red w/ black interior
2 chamber flowmasters, Bassani off-road X-pipe, MAC cold air induction, Kirban short throw, Heavy duty 3 core radiator, FMS 3:73's, Timing bump to 14 degrees, SRP billet racing pedals, Kenwood sound system
91LX2Bfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2000, 08:57 PM   #6
91LX2Bfast
Registered Member

King Snake, if you decide to go w/ the MAC or BBK, you can do something that will help a little to keep the tube from heating the air. I got the idea from an import site, and it worked to keep the inside of the tube slightly cooler to the touch after about 15 min of use. What you do:
Get a ceramic based spray paint, I used "Dupli color" engine paint because it doesn't require the use of a primer, and you want to paint the inside of the tube. The ceramic based paint helps disapate heat. Now of coure you want to mask off the chrome real good, and you want to clean the inside of the tube, rubbing alcohol works fine, to remove any oil or reside. Use about 3-4 Very light coats, you absolutely don't want drips in the tube. And the painted tube will actaully be smoother inside so the air will flow easier. Now of course it won't disapate as much as if the outside was painted too, but now you can have the looks and function of a good intake too.

------------------
1997 Thunderbird 4.6L, just bought, this thing has just about every option, let the mods begin

Recently totaled (tear): 91 LX 5.0L 5 spd Red w/ black interior
2 chamber flowmasters, Bassani off-road X-pipe, MAC cold air induction, Kirban short throw, Heavy duty 3 core radiator, FMS 3:73's, Timing bump to 14 degrees, SRP billet racing pedals, Kenwood sound system
Old 10-13-2000, 11:06 AM   #7
King Snake
Registered Member

Right now my K&N is fitted directly to my MAF so there is NO pipe before the MAF. I read an article in 5.0 mag about the Anderson Ford Power Pipe. I think the article was on their new 2000 Cobra "Drag Pack". I have tried to locate their website. Does anyone know if they have a site and if they do what is the URL? Like was mentioned before, you get what you pay for, and engineering and design is not cheap. I am going for functionality and performance, not looks. Of course if you can have both that is even better, and the Power Pipe sounds like it has both. Thanks for the feedback!

------------------
'97 Cobra, K&N, 3.73s, Rio Red
King Snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2000, 04:37 PM   #8
91LX2Bfast
Registered Member

www.andersonfordmotorsport.com