MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 01-27-2006, 09:16 PM   #1
87 heartbreaker
heerrrre chevy...chevy...chevy

Default cold ir.....help me

hey i posted a thread in POWER ADDERS so i will not write as much, i have a 87 gt 5 speed hb, (not mass air converted.) No plans for a supercharger, but i need to a find a fenderwell cold air kit that is NOT chrome, any help is greatly appreciated
=)
87 heartbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 03:34 PM   #2
redsn95vert
Registered Member

Default Re: cold ir.....help me

A cheap way to make one is with some 3" pvc pipe and some plumbing supplies from loews or home depot. You could them paint the set-up whatever color you want, and all for about $30.
95 GT convertable, ported+polished GT40 heads, port matched upper and lower Cobra intake manifold, Flowthech headers, Catco hi-flow h-pipe with 2 hi-flow cats, Mac true fit catback exhaust, 3.73 gears, underdrive pullies, Edelbrock 70mm throttle body, Mac cold air intake, FMS 24lb injectors, Granatelli 75mm mass air
redsn95vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 06:46 PM   #3
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

It's been awhile but some years back I also wanted a non-chrome fenderwell cold air induction setup. I bought the Moroso kit and it worked fine. It used a K&N cone filter. Still on the 'Stang when I sold it last May and still working great. Moroso still sells it, too. Part Number 65847. About $100. There are also other cold air induction kits on the market for the 5.0, some cheaper, some more expensive, but I can only endorse what I have bought, used and had success with - which is the quality Moroso CAI kit.

Of course removing the fenderwell air silencer on the Mustang 5.0 is a required first step in improving airflow. I just had to mention that...no offense meant. Some folks still don't know about that no-cost 'mod' and as the early Mustang 5.0's are getting scarce, it is being slowly forgotten.
Old 01-29-2006, 01:56 AM   #4
87 heartbreaker

thanks to both of you =)
Old 01-31-2006, 07:43 AM   #5
grey88gt
Registered Member

I have a stupid ? (Not trying to hijack this theard). The air box thats on my 88 GT is bolted to the fender well, pulling its air from outside of the engine bay. Is this not cold air? Alot of the cold air kits I have saw leave the filter in the same location, but the rest of it is also exposed, there for allowing hot air from the engine bay to get in to the intake. I cant see any benfit in that. Does a cold air kit have a bigger air filter, are the intake tubes bigger to flow more air , does the factory air box restrict that much air after the silencer is taken off? Thanks
grey88gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 04:00 PM   #6
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey88gt

I have a stupid ? (Not trying to hijack this theard). The air box thats on my 88 GT is bolted to the fender well, pulling its air from outside of the engine bay. Is this not cold air? Alot of the cold air kits I have saw leave the filter in the same location, but the rest of it is also exposed, there for allowing hot air from the engine bay to get in to the intake. I cant see any benfit in that. Does a cold air kit have a bigger air filter, are the intake tubes bigger to flow more air , does the factory air box restrict that much air after the silencer is taken off? Thanks
The silencer is a noticable restriction to airflow. Removing it will increase the airflow, as we all know.

A CAI kit - like the Moroso kit I recommended - allows 'colder' air to enter the intake as the filter is located lower in the fenderwell then with the stock airbox. The Moroso kit has a block-off plate on the inside firewall that keeps hot engine air away from the filter. The (plastic) intake tube is also smoother than the stock, ribbed rubber intake hose. The filter (a K&N cone) is usually more effective, too. Those are the facts.

However, a CAI kit is not a major modification by any means and probably nets 1 or 2 HP, at best, despite what the ads might say. However, they do offer a bit better throttle response, in my experience. It's an easy way to get a bit more cold air to the intake and a good mod for near-stock Mustangs that want to wring the most from what they have without going into real engine alterations...if you don't mind spending $100. to get the admittedly small performance benefits.

One noticable benefit: the Moroso unit I ran for years sounded like a huge carb sucking air at WOT. I loved it.
Old 01-31-2006, 11:03 PM   #7
grey88gt
Registered Member

Cool. I havent seen any of the kits with the block off plates. Havent really been looking to hard ethier. I can see the intake tubes helping out. All the cold air kits I had seen put the filter in hot air. Most were on other cars besides the Mustang. Thanks for the reply.
grey88gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 01:03 AM   #8
87 heartbreaker

thanks for the replies, guys, i have ordered the moroso, i didnt want it for the horsepower gains, i wanted a little pazazz under the hood i guess, but NOT chrome, thx

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: