View Single Post
Old 01-31-2006, 04:00 PM   #6
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

Default Re: cold ir.....help me

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey88gt

I have a stupid ? (Not trying to hijack this theard). The air box thats on my 88 GT is bolted to the fender well, pulling its air from outside of the engine bay. Is this not cold air? Alot of the cold air kits I have saw leave the filter in the same location, but the rest of it is also exposed, there for allowing hot air from the engine bay to get in to the intake. I cant see any benfit in that. Does a cold air kit have a bigger air filter, are the intake tubes bigger to flow more air , does the factory air box restrict that much air after the silencer is taken off? Thanks
The silencer is a noticable restriction to airflow. Removing it will increase the airflow, as we all know.

A CAI kit - like the Moroso kit I recommended - allows 'colder' air to enter the intake as the filter is located lower in the fenderwell then with the stock airbox. The Moroso kit has a block-off plate on the inside firewall that keeps hot engine air away from the filter. The (plastic) intake tube is also smoother than the stock, ribbed rubber intake hose. The filter (a K&N cone) is usually more effective, too. Those are the facts.

However, a CAI kit is not a major modification by any means and probably nets 1 or 2 HP, at best, despite what the ads might say. However, they do offer a bit better throttle response, in my experience. It's an easy way to get a bit more cold air to the intake and a good mod for near-stock Mustangs that want to wring the most from what they have without going into real engine alterations...if you don't mind spending $100. to get the admittedly small performance benefits.

One noticable benefit: the Moroso unit I ran for years sounded like a huge carb sucking air at WOT. I loved it.