MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 08-11-2001, 07:37 PM   #1
Immortality
Registered Member

Post Custom chip for my Cobra, yes or no/info!

Would it be worth it to score a custom burned chip for my 1997 Cobra? I just have very basic mods so far... FMS 4.30's, Steeda UD pulleys, tri-ax, Bassani X w/cats and homemade ram-air w/K&N filter. I have heard good things about Autologic chips, what others are good? It seems most cost around $300 or so but what gains are realistic to expect taking into consideration my mods? I am looking to pick up the best bang for the buck horsepower spending around that much money, so a chip is probably the way to go. After doing this I don't plan to do any more mods until next spring or maybe in the winter when the car is off the road. Please inform me of potential gains guys!
Immortality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2001, 07:38 PM   #2
Immortality
Registered Member

Come on, someone must have experience with chips!
Immortality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2001, 09:21 PM   #3
98SNAKE
Registered Member

Arrow

Sorry I have no experience with custom chips, but the next mod I would make would be the Steeda Timing Adjuster. I just installed it on friday and my car launches like a mother. It also pull's harder in every gear.

Later,Will

------------------
98Cobra-BBK Offroad
Xpipe,Flowmasters,Mac Cold air,SteedaTiming Adjuster(14deg),Autometer Shift light
98SNAKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2001, 02:12 AM   #4
96SNAKE
Registered Member

I had experience with a chip when I dyno'd my 96, which is set up fairly similar to your 97. I experimented with a few different burns and got about 4hp and torque at best. For $300+ it wasn't worth it and I didn't want to lean my fuel curve or mess with my timing anyway so I didn't buy one. The only reasons I would go back to a chip is either for supercharging, or when I get my short block bored out to 5 liters. The other reason would be to raise the fuel cutoff point. I run into that damn thing way too easily at 7200rpm and my car wants to pull right on past it..

I notice you don't have an aftermarket mass air meter yet. This is what you should do next. The C&L I bought easily added 10+rwhp. I liked it much better than the Pro-M and it was alot cheaper too. Good luck!

------------------
formerly 96cobra89lx306

(96Cobra/softtop-3.73,almdrvsht,fancontrl,steeda sbfrmes+shifter,eibachspgs,KYB's,FR-upper arms,Saleen copy-polished 18's,pulleys,Bassani X pipe(off-road),C&L 80mm,Amsoil etc..

93 Ford Probe Gt(slower but turns)

[This message has been edited by 96SNAKE (edited 08-13-2001).]
96SNAKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2001, 01:06 PM   #5
mn96cobra
Registered Member

Yes, the aftermarket chip is very worthwhile.

In order to gain maximum benefit from it though, you need to be able to have your car dyno tuned. That is, they make settings in the chip, dyno the car...make some adjustments in the chip, dyno the car... this process is continued until they have maximized what they can get out of your combo.

As for manufacturers, my recommendation is Johnson Motorsports in Lucedale MS. www.jmschip.com. I have had nothing but good experiences with them, and Chris Johnson is one of the best in the business at tuning the Fox and Modular cars.

------------------
1996 Lazer Red Cobra #878
ProM-80, 36# Inj, JMS Chip, Vortech-SQ, Pro 5.0 shifter, Bassani-X,
Borla Catback, 4.10s, FMS Alum Driveshaft
mn96cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2001, 12:59 PM   #6
Steve H
Registered Member

Get your car on the dyno have a custom chip burned by a proffesional and dyno again to see the gains. I have a 97 Cobra and I got 10 RWHP from the chip alone
Steve H is offline   Reply With Quote