MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-21-2002, 04:28 AM   #1
Fox Body
Mustang Maniac

Question What aspect of MW Online attracted you here (and enough to keep you here)?

Was it the media center as you were cruising the net for videos, was it the classifieds section, the Girls Can Too, etc? I know when I first came here I was attracted to the media center and the stang analyzer. Also, I lurked around the Windsor Power Forum for a couple of weeks, b4 I started posting. When I first came here, the ONLY place I posted was the Windsor Power forum. I use to think the people who posted in the Blue Oval Lounge were weird (I was like, why do these people come to a Mustang site and post stuff that, many times, has nothing to do with Mustangs ), but then I tried the drug and was addicted. I think when most people first come here, they don't immediately sign up for the msgboard (unless they are invited by a guess to check sign up). Most people first see this place for other aspects, and lurk around the forums for a while (few days, weeks, months, etc) then sign up, if they do or not.

Well, I thought this would go along with the sticky post and be an interesting and practical question that would help out Dan with the site on perhaps which section to expand, or reduce, or whatever.
Stock 5.8L under 4" cowl 'glass hood, C4 w/ Transgo shift kit, Holley 750 cfm, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake; Fluidyne Al radiator, Flexalite 175 electric fan, 1 5/8" MAC shorty headers, FRPP Al driveshaft; S&W 6-point cage; 2.5" Off road H-pipe, 2-chamber Flowmasters, 8.8" Rear w/ 3.55s; Weld wheels (15x6;15x8), Front: 225/60/15, Rear: 275/50/15 Nitto NT 555R Drag Radials;
14 x 4” K&N X-stream air filter.

'92 GT (5-speed)
Small In Car Video
Stock 5.0L, 2-chamber Flowmasters, MAC CAI, Tri-Ax, Al pedals...

"Red, thou art my companion. Hasten now your quickened metamorphosis to Green that I may conquer all who dare abide there beside me. May they be left thither behind burnt black." ---Fox Body
Fox Body is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2002, 04:39 AM   #2
PKRWUD

Almost 4 years ago, I was looking online for some info on a Mustang for one of my customers, and stumbled across MW. i added the page to my Favorites, and pretty much forgot about it. A few months later, I was editing my Favs list, and checked out MW a little more thoroughly. I found myself reading some of the questions in the Windsor forum, and felt the need to set some things straight, and help a few people out. Next thing I knew, I found myself coming back to see if anyone had any questions to what I had said, and they did, so I answered a few more. That's how it started, and, oddly enough, is pretty much the way it still is today.

Take care,
~Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2002, 04:55 AM   #3
mustangII460
Factoy Five Roadster

I needed some info also, liked it and stayed.
mustangII460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2002, 09:45 AM   #4
srv1
Get down.....

Thumbs up

what made me stay is that its a site that not just about talking about cars all the time. you can shoot the breeze about anything. its like one big happy family here! where else can you go to talk about your love life, haunted buildings, food, travel, politics and so on, and not talk about "just cars" all the time? no where that i have found. check out other forums. it doesnt have to be with Stangs or any other cars. you will see most of them stick to the subject about the forums. i.g. if you go to "Mac" site, you will mostly see people talk about computers. you wont see postings of abandoned places or pictures of their families. so that is why i stayed, cause it is different.
Old 07-21-2002, 10:36 AM   #5
OnMy3rdStang
Registered Member

Actually I was using a search engine to find pics of mustangs and once I clicked the link I seen Message forums and I posted.
The people on here arent a**holes to me!!!!!!!! Thats was a HUGE thing for me. other sites either had an attitude toward me or just never answered my posts. Even when I posted that i was new no one would even say hi or welcom. But when I found this place everybody was like Hi and welcome and just really friendly.
Old 07-21-2002, 10:40 AM   #6
Kevn
Registered Member

I did a search for mustang message board, or something along that line because I had just picked up my stang and had a few quick questions.
Some people might think I'm one of 'those' who just ask their question then leave, but no, I'll stay here. I don't post too much because I don't know what to say! My area of knowledge is in fullsize trucks, not lil mustangs.
Kevn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2002, 10:59 AM   #7
tireburner163
It's a lot like a race car

The software is why I came here I got what I wanted then left. I would pop in from time to time, but that's about it. Then I noticed the forums.....I lurked for months. I finnally signed up and made a post.....in my first 2 or 3 months I had 3 maybe 4 posts. Then it just kinda snowballed and now I've been here for almost 2 years, and I've acumulated more than 1900 posts.

I sometimes wonder....what will this site be like in another 2 years.....5....or even 10. Will I still be here? I suspect so. And I hope all my friends will still be here too.

picture it......it's the year 2022. I'm crusin the boards. Huummmm....Chris is still answering tech questions on the new 5.2 liter DOHC in the stang. Little Ben(6T9 Pony) Jr. is excited cause he got a 69 fastback. And Kell is posting about his 87 wasting LS-12 Camaro's.

Oh well...I don't know where I'm going with this, so I guess I'll just stop.

l8ter
Josh, aka the tireburner

1998 HD Electra Elide
tireburner163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2002, 11:54 AM   #8
Mustangbelle306
Yay for Chickys

I was looking for a nice place to start learning MORE about Mustangs, and having some fellow euthusiasts to shoot the **** with. People here don't have the attitude problems that run rampant on the Corral and Mustangworld. I post infrequently in the local forums on Stangnet, but this is my main watering hole.

Although I feel that this board has become slightly more like other message boards in the past few months (snippy, unnecessary replys from both members and moderators), the people I have come to enjoy posting with over the last 1.5 years will ultimately seal my roots in these forums
Mustangbelle306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2002, 01:23 PM   #9
MidNiteBlu 5.0
I got something to say

My dad came home one day from work and told me about this site. This was a couple days after i bought my car and i guess he was eager to learn about it also. I mainly just lurked through all the old postings in Windsor Power and eventually registered.

I think my first couple months i had maybe 25-50 posts and then just kept posting up to now having over 600 and counting

The thing that keeps me coming back is how polite and nice people are here. It seems people here will like you for who you are rather than not respecting you until you have like 1000 posts (off-topic.net comes to mind lol)

Anyways I have learned alot from these forums and have made good friends too

Later,
Nick
1987 Toyota Pickup
Ricer Haters Club Member #33

Want a custom gauge cluster for your Vintage Mustang?
www.jmeenterprises.com
MidNiteBlu 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2002, 03:04 PM   #10
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

Smile Mustang Works Online attractions

I went on the internet at home (had it at work) in early '97 and looked for Mustang websites immediately. I found Corral and Mustang Works the first day.

I liked the Corral site but hated the messageboards due to the heavy traffic and constant flaming. I didn't feel welcome there, although I did post a few times.

Mustang Works had a lot less traffic, seemed more user-friendly and the posters were friendly, not always looking for an argument or being sarcastic and snotty every time you posted something in lame attempts to appear clever and knowing.

Obviously, I stayed at MW and quickly abandoned the other Mustang websites. MW has grown a lot since then and has gotten steadily better thanks to Dan's interest and hard work.

As a long-time contributor as well as a moderator and administrator here I've always tried to maintain that friendly, civil tone on the boards which isn't always easy. Most folks are great but there are always a few that want to play juvenile games and we deal with them as needed.

A few won't like everything I post or get in a knot over something or other but with almost 20,000 members, you can't please everyone. To a few, the slightest criticism is highly offensive. Oh well.

That's just the internet and part of being a moderator and I wouldn't have it any other way. We have a good membership here, reflecting the overall tone of Mustang Works. Helpful, friendly, fun and easy to visit without feeling like an intruder or getting flamed for asking a simple question.

We have our fights and disagreements here but the soreheads leave quickly (or are shown the door via banning) and while some may grumble about moderators and rules, they do help keep the site and the boards the great places they are.

I expect MW will be around a long time and although the content will change, the members will come and go as will the staff, it will always be a great Mustang website as long as Dan McClain is part of it. Dan IS Mustang Works. I'm glad to be a part of it too.
Old 07-21-2002, 05:52 PM   #11
Stang_Crazy
It's never clean enough!

I was attracted by the friendly members. This site is such a friendly place it really feels like a community. I think the reason people post about everything (love life, family, jobs, etc.) is because they are comfortable with the people on this board.

It's nice to be able to ask a question or give a response and not have to worry about getting flamed. Keep up the good work Dan!!

89' GT : Taking up garage space and waiting for a buyer...

Rice Hater's Club - Member #11
Stang_Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2002, 07:49 PM   #12
lx mike
Undescribable

I found mustangworks when i was looking online for mustang information. i didn't care for the "heavy" traffic on some of the other boards and also liked the closeness of mustangworks and have been here ever since.
Rice Haters Club Member #101
lx mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2002, 08:54 PM   #13
0h n0 5.0
Registered Member

people actually responding to my questions an not treating me like a clueless newbie. cough* corral.net.*cough cough*(even though I am). a clean easy to navigate interface, lots of warm diverse folks..

keep up the good work admins..

1994 GT 5.0l
0h n0 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2002, 11:50 PM   #14
joe4speed
He said Member...heh, heh

Thumbs up

I too, came here looking for tech and pictures of Stangs, and stumbled across the forums. I believe Rebel and Skyman were the first to welcome me, and they were real friendly so I stayed. I am a member of a few other sites, but always come here. Hats off to you, Dan for creating such a great place, and to Jim and the other Mods for maintaining it.
Old 07-22-2002, 10:22 AM   #15
lysacat
Registered Member

I went on the web looking for info about mustang mods when I traded my coupe for my vert and I ended up coming across this site. I was instantly hooked. I've read the message boards pretty much every day since, It took me a while to really start posting but this seemed like a nice place and i've really picked up my posts. I like the fact that there aren't posts where every other word is a 4 letter word. I looked at other msg boards and that is the way they are. I love this place. C-ya, Melisa
Old 07-22-2002, 08:24 PM   #16
gt lee

Marty got me started. He had been on for a little while when he showed me and bam here I am. He wanted me to learn more about our stang and being here has taught me a lot. I know I don't post on questions about the cars because I don't know enough to give a good answer. But have found a group of great people that I have made friends with and enjoy posting about all the other stuff the MW offers. Odie