MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 02-18-2001, 05:12 PM   #1
RedLilPony
It's been awhile, huh?

Talking DAYTONA 500

who saw the Daytona 500?!?!? that was the wildest wreck i have ever seen!!! I cant believe Dale Sr. crashed at the end either.

------------------
Jodi
AKA PonyGirl
Red 68 GT Fastback and Black 99 GT Coupe
"Not your average Mustangs..."
http://hometown.aol.com/redlilpony/Homepage.html

RedLilPony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2001, 05:19 PM   #2
pro88
Registered Member

I just got done watching it too. I think he was tapped just a hair on the left rear corner. That's what the replay looked to me. Too bad the Ford boys didn't get into the top 3. But then again I'm into the "go fast now" kinda racing not the 3 hrs. of left turns stuff.
pro88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2001, 06:03 PM   #3
JANESLX50
Registered Member

That wreck was incredible!!! The racing was going so close for so long it was inevitable that something had to happen. Thank goodness nobody was killed. Tony Stewart will heal up quick. Dale Sr is a tough old bird. I'm sure he'll be back in action soon.
I do wish congrats to Mikey Waltrip. I know he doesn't drive Ford, but if any Chevy driver was to win I'm glad it was him and not Jeffy Gordon.
Cheers.

------------------

90 LX 5.0 5-spd
JANESLX50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2001, 07:20 PM   #4
lx mike
Undescribable

Dale Sr died in that crash! it didn't even look that bad in the replays but then again it's hard to realy see how fast they are going.
lx mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2001, 07:23 PM   #5
JANESLX50
Registered Member

Unhappy

Cant believe it. NASCAR just won't be the same. Cant say anymore.
JANESLX50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2001, 07:28 PM   #6
86GT
Sniffed too much n20

A legend... I'm still in disbelief... I was watching the race then, it didn't look that bad, I thought the same thing that he'd be alright. A hero, he will be remembered.
86GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2001, 07:52 PM   #7
69fastback
IRAQ VET

I just found out he died reading the other post. I could not beilve it. This really sucks
69fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2001, 07:53 PM   #8
Unit 5302
Registered Member

I can offer my condolenses to his family and his friends, truly nobody likes to see people die like that.

On the other side I don't know how the "Intimidator" got his "hero" lable when he is always wrecking other racers to win or finish higher in the standings. Every race I have ever seen with Dale Earnhardt Sr. in it has had at least one attempt by Earnhardt to make contact with another driver to pick up a postition, especially so at the end of a race. More vivid than any other in my memory was his intentional wrecking of Al Unser Jr. in the IROC several years ago on the last lap. Earnhardt used his signiture rear corner tap from low on the racetrack coming out of the 3rd turn to put Al into the wall.

The track will be a much better place without him intentionally wrecking people, but even I don't like to see it racing end like that.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2001, 09:14 PM   #9
WHITECOBRAGIRL94
Registered Member

Unhappy

It is sad that it happened that way, his death. I know the people of my hometown of Kannapolis will feel this for a long time. The unforunate side of this(my husband says) is that being from a small town like this everyone who was a fan will be here.
My prayers go out to Dale's family and friends and to the people of Kannapolis who have lost their hometown hero. Though my husband and I are not Earnhardt fans, we feel for them.
WHITECOBRAGIRL94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2001, 12:01 AM   #10
mustang145
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by WHITECOBRAGIRL94:
It is sad that it happened that way, his death. I know the people of my hometown of Kannapolis will feel this for a long time. The unforunate side of this(my husband says) is that being from a small town like this everyone who was a fan will be here.
My prayers go out to Dale's family and friends and to the people of Kannapolis who have lost their hometown hero. Though my husband and I are not Earnhardt fans, we feel for them.
dont be sad of the way dale died ......
he love the sport of racing he died the way he lived... yes i agree its sad he died dont get me wrong...
i know i am the same way if i die i hope the good lord will let im die racing.
the way i live ...........
mustang145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2001, 01:05 PM   #11
PGkelly
Registered Member

I agree completely Mustang145. It's sad that he died, but he died racing--doing something he loved. he also died blocking for his son, which was very gallant. he really was a huge part of NASCAR.
PGkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2001, 05:04 PM   #12
RedLilPony
It's been awhile, huh?

Talking

Amen Mustang145

------------------
Jodi
AKA PonyGirl

Old 02-21-2001, 05:58 PM   #13
dirtyGT
Registered Member

Angry

Yea it was close racing because of those f#@*&ng restrector plates take them damn things off the cars and let them run otherwise i don't think that would have happened

------------------
86GT-MACcatback-89heads,intake,TB,KENNYBROWNsubs,3.73's,HURST shifter,moser axels,svo rotors,calipers,94ponies going on soon
dirtyGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2001, 01:26 AM   #14
MiracleMax
Registered Member

Hah, I've already heard some blurbs on the news about making racing safer. They'll probably mandate those helmet straps (which isn't a bad idea), then probably grumble about reducing speeds, Give me a break, err something like that. They don't call it the cruel sport for nothing. Whatever happed to pushing the envelop, hanging it out over the edge and reeling it back in! I'm begining to think the over-riding theme in our society is

"It's not your fault and we will do every thing we can to make the world a better safer place, because it hurts our feelings when somebody dies."

Not that, that was the the case at Daytona, but whats it all gonna come down to? 750 hp remote controlled cars! Thats the thing about racing! You go out, haul *** and cheat death. No more no less.

Now I'm on a rant and I'm gonna stop before I start talking about all those fans that had tears rolling down their faces and the sorry *** jokers that ran out and bought everything with a 3 on it and tried to crash the ebay server!
MiracleMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2001, 02:39 PM   #15
RedLilPony
It's been awhile, huh?

Talking

OK, heres my .02.....

1st - It was Dales time to go. It's why he died. You don't die unless it's your time to go.

2nd - I am TIRED of people blaming things for his death. It's not Sterling Marlin's fault... It's not the restrictor plates fault... It's no one's fault. It was his time to leave this earth.

3rd - I am SICK AND TIRED of the media playing this as a safety issue. How many injuries are there in NASCAR a year? Now I ask, how many accidents are in Football a year? Hockey? Iceskating? Track and Field? Basketball? Baseball? Yeah, the list is infinite and guess where Race car driving is on that list... THE VERY BOTTOM for sport related injuries. I know that an injury and death are different but when you want ot talk straight out safety, there is no comparison in my mind. I would rather be in a car with a 5 point belt on and a 6 point roll cage in it and a helmet on my head than doing flips off of a balance beam in a leotard.

Come on guys... we all know that cheerleaders get hurt more on average than racecar drivers.

SORRY I HAD TO VENT

------------------
Jodi
AKA PonyGirl

Old 02-23-2001, 04:45 PM   #16
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Interesting point about the 5 point harness.

NASCAR has now relased info that Mr. Ernhardt's left lap belt was severed, most likely throwing him into the steering wheel, and causing his face (open face helmet) to hit it. That could also explain his broken ribs if his chest came in contact with the wheel.

They say he would have stood a much greater chance of living had the seatbelt not failed. Of course his helmet would have dispersed a good deal of the force had he been wearing a closed face unit.

Tough to say.

NASCAR has become less and less interesting to watch to me by continuing on this ridiculous trend of
  • Using motors that are no longer made
  • Refusing to update engine technology
  • Running restictor plates
  • and forcing engines to have equal performance

All those rules combine to cause the cars on the track to run close together the entire race increasing the number of three wide races and in turn causing a greater likelyhood of crashes.

Furthermore, they have blatantly allow drivers to ram each other and intentionally spin other drivers out to pick up positions. This type of dirty racing doesn't belong on the track. It's not supposed to be a crash up derby out there.

Finally, they have more and more cars in the races year after year. Which means more cars on the track than in years past, causing significant congestion on the track and increasing the number of accidents.

Why? Because it pays. A lot of people like to watch crashes. Studies and polls have shown that to be accurate. If they make it more aggressive and allow contact, more people watch. It's all about the big green.

If they want me to watch they are going to have to black flag the dirty drivers, allow new technology such as the 5.4 OHC motors and fuel injection, and find a new way to restrict the speed if they need to.

[This message has been edited by Unit 5302 (edited 02-23-2001).]
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote