MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-21-2004, 09:02 PM   #1
texalseaton
Registered Member

Exclamation Drive shaft???

I just installed a four speed in my fastback with a new clutch and presure plate, I used the same drive shaft form the automatic transmission and now the wheels wont spin (it wont drive). Is the drive shaft in a four speed the same as in a automatic or is my problem in the installation of the clutch and pressure plate?
texalseaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2004, 10:44 PM   #2
ugp134
Registered Member

its the clutch or presure plates cause the drive shaft wouldnt just not turn. it might be the trans its self
ugp134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 08:01 AM   #3
orlowted
Registered Member

Default Should work...

I did the swap from an automatic to a toploader 4 speed and used the same drive shaft without any problems. It really depends in the # of splines - the trans and drive shaft have to match. I would remove the driveshaft and see if the trans shaft is moving when in gear....Maybe that will help...My guess is that is is not the driveshaft. Even if it was not the proper shaft, you would probably get some kinda loud noise as the gears would grind...
orlowted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 08:43 PM   #4
texalseaton
Registered Member

Default figured it out!!

I figured out my drive shaft problem. The front yolk I.D. was to large. I talked to several people and they all said the yolks were all the same on C4s, i talked to one old man and he told me to remember that i was working on a ford not a chevy, and he gave me the yolk that i needed. Thanks for your replies!
texalseaton is offline   Reply With Quote