MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Stang Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 01-02-2002, 10:18 PM   #1
silverv6
Registered Member

Default over drive button

I have a 2000 automatic v6 stang.

My question was that on the shifter theirs the over drive button. Well If I push it. It turns the over drive off. Well I heard if im gona race or drive fast that to push that button to turn the over drive off and it will make my car run faster. Or perform better thats wat I heard from some People well my question was If any body knows what im talkin about to answer my question and tell me if its true that if i turn my overdrive off that it will make my car perform better or go a lil bit faster.
silverv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2002, 08:51 AM   #2
cyberstang5.0
347ci of HORSE POWER!!!

Your 4th gear is your overdrive. So if you take it off, you will force the car to shift down to 3rd. I do that a lot in my T-bird. It won't help you in first or second but on the freeway it will.
cyberstang5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2002, 01:09 PM   #3
blue00gt
Mustang Addict

It won't change how quick your car is, it will just keep it from shifting into 4th.
blue00gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2002, 10:23 PM   #4
silverv6
Registered Member

so is it good to push the button wile im driving fast or wen I race some one in the street or freeway?

Is it worth it???
Old 01-07-2002, 10:38 AM   #5
cyberstang5.0
347ci of HORSE POWER!!!

yeah, some times your car will want to shift into 4th when you don't want it to. Most "serious" drag racers use autos cuz they are consistant and consistancy is the key to racing! But on the other hand, you want to be "in control" of your car. So, since you don't have a aftermarket shifter that you can do this with. Put the car into 1st, once it gets up there... shift into 2nd. When you get to the point to go into 3rd, sift into D but with the OD OFF! This will keep your car in 3rd all the way til red line. Heaven forbid you will need to, but if you need to shift after that... just click the OD button. Hope this helps.
cyberstang5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2002, 12:39 AM   #6
silverv6
Registered Member

u mean to start of with my shifter on the number 1 then wen i feel the gear kick in i shift it to the number 2 then after it kick in again i put it in D? But wont this mess up my transmision because its an automatic? <<< if i shif wile driving. Or can I just start off with the over drive off?

true dual exaust two 2chamber flowmasters
18" wire wheel rims<<100 spoke on lowprofile tires

Waiting for MAC CAI and BBK throttle body
Old 01-09-2002, 07:08 AM   #7
LowDown
Registered Member

It won't mess up your tranny if you do it occasionally (only when you race) just don't get carried away, and make sure you keep an eye on the color and level of your transmission fluid. And you don't necessarily wait for the gear to "kick in" its just like a manual without a clutch - shift at the apropriate RPM - maybe 200 RPM early because it takes the autos a little longer to shift. It will probably be easier for you just to listen to the engine. And it will help to disengage the OD, because OD is a wide ratio gear meant to improve fuel economy. It will take you a long time to reach the powerband again. Just keep it in 3rd and stop pressing the gas when it sounds like its going to blow up.
Old 01-09-2002, 11:58 PM   #8
Rev
Registered Member

Definitly good advice to upshift if it sounds like your engines gonna blow. Most late models have a rev limiter that won't let you do that though.

My '66 has a C-4 that requires the "shuffle". I start out in low, go to drive and back to low to hold 2nd and then to drive to hit 3rd. An odd way to do it but I've been doing that since '54.

My son (25) always forgets he's in 2nd when I let him romp on it occasionally on the freeway. I'm yelling SHIFT, SHIFT, SHIFT THE SOB!!! I of course can tell by the sound as that's the way we all used to know when we were at max. Sometimes now when I'm street racing and am afraid to take my eyes off the road, I still shift by ear.

Rev

O.B.C. #2

'66 coupe
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: