MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 11-12-2005, 01:19 AM   #1
HoodStrype
Rearview Mirror Haze

Default Do you hate your stang's previous owner???

Do you? Lend me a minute of your time and I promise to make you laugh!!!

So I buy the d*mn thing. After sitting on my thumbs for more than 5 years- I do it again- I buy a fox body. $4,500 of my (and the wife's) hard earned money... uh oh!

See it advertized, look at it.
Cams like crazy,
It's different,
Looks like a lot of money thrown into it,
Without a doubt too strong to be an 89 w/o an overhaul!

So I'm driveing home cheesing all over my self! Cobra R's, New Street Strip Tires, Camming, New Richmond 3.73's (with receipt), New "Drag Suspension", subframes, electric fans, MSD, Blaster Coil, Explorer intake- the works.

So as the interior dash lights are blinking on and off I don't sweat it. I hit a rain storm and decide to keep going. I do a 180 on the Tennessee River Bridge in Alabama. Thank god for the angel who got out and stopped traffic!!!

So already my beautiful mustang (metallic flake blue/purple depending on which way the light is shining) have a history. It's gravy, she's mine! After all the hard college work I get my Fox Body back!

So the paint ain't so pretty in sunlight (never buy at dusk). BONDO!!! At least in 4 or five places and cracks in bumpers.

So we look under the hood. She's not idling really well so my friends and I check the vacuum (thanks Jester). To our surprize, it's completely SCREWED! Better yet is the 2 vacuum lines connected together with a PEN TOP!!!! Even better> we get the vacuum lines fixed and she quits camming!!! We laugh, we fix, all is merry.

So the thing won't crank now... we check the ignition system (thanks to you all). We check timing and it's bouncing. I replace the Distributor, Control Module, Cap, Button, Plugs, Fix the battery into a new box, change the Blaster coil to a stock new part. Time it and laugh and all is merry.

So it won't crank again- finally find fault in a negative wire on the solonoid. Fix, laugh, all is merry.

Fast forward thru more needed work (still stalls or won't crank cause of fuel problems)...

New Mickey T's go flat every 2 weeks... funny at first.

Jack up the car- transmission looks like it's been built! Great-
"Hey dude... look at your o2 sensors!"
Laughing and crying... they are welded into the bloody homade h-pipe.
"WTF??? Are you serious????"
Now that's stupidity! Let alone the pen top!

So I buy a crap load of stuff for it...

No kidding, today I pulled the freakin aftermarket "Free Flow" rear bumper off it today -after struggling and joking about the use of wood screws to hold it on-
Lo and Behold there is WOOD BLOCKS glued into the bumper so that after drilling holes in the hatch the wood screws I laughed at could be used to hold the bumper on and brackets are holding the bottom of it to a couple of screws that keep the gas tank from droping! That's most of it for now... stay tuned!!!!

...the epitome of Murphy's Law
HoodStrype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 03:12 AM   #2
MEDIK418
Registered Member

Default Re: Do you hate your stang's previous owner???

Lots of people modify the crap out a vehicle and end up dumping it because they created a bigger headache than they bargained for. My son bought a 2001 Jeep a couple of years ago. 6 inch lift, 35 inch tires, winch, detroit lockers. This thing was built. We thought. It spent a total of 8 months down or in the shop the first year he had it. We found out that the warranty had been voided by a local dealership and there is a major lawsuit over it. (this happened before we got it) The suit is still ongoing and he finallygot rid of the stinkin thing and bought something else (see below)
I still think he bought a lift kit that just happened to have a Jeep on top of it. Buy one and do the mods yourself. I've learned more than once that most likely the previous owner got rid of it for a reason.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hummer.jpg (31.9 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg jeep.jpg (37.0 KB, 4 views)
1986 four-eyed LX coupe, 358 Cleveland, Tremec TKO600/centerforce clutch, dish cut Probe forged pistons, comp cams hyd.roller cam, .579/.588@224/230, Edel.performer, 670 holley street avenger, CPR custom built long tubes, ported and polished 4bbl heads, manley valves, beehive springs, MSD peo-billet dist/MSD6AL, fluidamper, 5 lug conv. with 17x8 bullits there's more but it's still not finished yet.
Oh, and the oldest boy is turning his 89 GT into a FFR cobra this next summer.
MEDIK418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 04:57 PM   #3
Unit 5302
Registered Member

I bought my favorite Mustang from a "Coca-Cola mechanic." The brakes seemed a little strange to me. "Nope, not a problem, just fixed them." The clutch seemed a little weak. "Nope, not a problem, just replaced it." Well, at least no rust on it, and it was a gorgeous blue 88 GT with the two tone gray ground effects.

Guess what? He installed the brakes wrong, didn't replace the clutch, it had a leaky water pump, the wiring was screwed up, and it had some pretty significant rust issues that were just covered up.

I'm used to it at this point. People have no shame these days, and I trust absolutely nobody when I go car shopping. They're all lying (from experience), and they're all trying to screw you. Dealers, private parties, it doesn't matter. I would much rather purchase a bone stock vehicle than with any modifications (hard on a Mustang) and I always always look it over in the daytime with a fine tooth comb. Furthermore, if I'm not buying from a dealer, the car goes to a shop to be checked out.

Oh, and my 87GT had the O2 sensors welded into a home made straight pipe setup as well. Been there. What a pita.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 10:56 PM   #4
HoodStrype
Rearview Mirror Haze

LOL!!! I have to tell my friends I'm not the only guy who has found welded o2 sensors... I got the Cobra Bumper and LX lights on today and found the L and R side interior panels (the huge ones on a hatch back from back seat to rear). Got them for $30! I was happy until I tried installing them- d*mn hard. The former moron cut two gaping holes for speakers- he didn't realize the filler tube for gas was in the way on the passenger side. What an IDIOT!

So the wiring harness for the radio is all kinds of screwed up. I really need to start taking pictures of this! I'm convinced the street strips are full of "fix a flat."

...the epitome of Murphy's Law
HoodStrype is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: