MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums

MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums (http://forums.mustangworks.com/index.php)
-   Blue Oval Lounge (http://forums.mustangworks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Does this actually work (http://forums.mustangworks.com/showthread.php?t=22188)

silverv6 04-12-2002 03:26 AM

Does this actually work

Have any of you seen a product called the Tornado... You put it in your air filter box or something like that well its sopose to give you up to 10hp........ I think it dont work

WADS56 04-12-2002 06:50 AM

It only works for ricers:rolleyes:

jetuomi 04-12-2002 07:27 AM

you know what's strange, is that one of the shows on Speedvision installed a similar product, some JET brand air-intake smoother, and they said it should be worth some HP/gas mileage.. (it was on the excursion 5.4, and it went right in front of the t-body)

I think the show was "classic hotrod" or something, do you think they'd lie just to sell a product?

Mr 5 0 04-12-2002 09:17 AM

As Seen on TV!

I have no idea what this product is but I don't trust much of anything I see on TV - especially automotive stuff. It's obvious that if you can smooth out the airflow and eliminate bends and turns between the air filter and the TB, it will help velocity and that will help power and mileage a bit.

I have a Moroso fenderwell cold air intake with a K&N cone filter in front of the MAS and a Tiny Avenger intake tube between the MAS and the TB for better flow. It helps. That set up (Moroso & Tiny Avenger) ran me $170. but on a basically stock 5.0 you look for these little HP aids where you can find them.

1969Mach1 04-12-2002 11:41 PM

I've seen it before, I honestly can't imagin it working unless like how WADS56 said. For the ricers it works, I wouldn't waste my money on that crap unless I was 100% guaranteed a gain in hp and even still.

§am.

Maroon 5.0 LX 04-13-2002 08:19 AM

Why do people grind and polish intake and exhaust ports? To smooth out the flow of air and gasses. The Toronado Fuel Saver does just the opposite, it causes the flow to be turbulent, and to me that's the opposite of a good smooth flow.

Pat Goss on PBS's Motor Week did a somewhat scientific test on this, and said to save your money!

jimberg 04-13-2002 10:23 AM

It's BS. You can tell by the way they try to sell it. They demonstrate the "science" on how it works with a couple expirements that are compelling, but when you think about what they actually demonstrated you realize the deception.

In one experiment, they have two 2-liter bottles connected to form what looks like an hour-glass with water in the bottom bottle. They flip it over and the water just flows really slowly with a lot of turbulence. Then he swirls the bottle to create a vortex and the water just flows effortlessly. They pronounce that the Tornado works the same way to increase airflow. The problem, however, is that the experiment only demonstrates that you need to allow air to replace the fluid being replaced for it to flow smoothly. Swirling the water creates a hole to allow this to happen.

The other experiment involves a clear plastic wind tunnel with a hole to act as an air inlet on the top and a fan on the bottom pulling air through the tunnel. A little wind vane is in the path of air flow and is just wiggling back and forth. They place the Tornado on the air inlet and then the wind vane starts spinning really fast. The problem here is that they are trying to leave you with the impression that the air is moving faster through the tunnel because of the Tornado. The reality, however, is that they only demonstrated the pressence of an air vortex. The blades on the wind vane didn't have any pitch so straight moving air wouldn't cause it to spin, but a vortex would.

The ad also compares the product with the same technology used in jet engines. This again was a stupid comparison. They only thing they have in common is the angled blades. The compression blades on a jet engine are turned by exhaust gases like in a turbo charger. They aren't just passively placed in the path of air.

elliotness 04-13-2002 12:11 PM

Jimberg,

I am going to call you next year when my kids science projects are due. Your sharp.

I guess you really have to watch out for these gimmicky advertisements.

rbatson 04-13-2002 01:37 PM

Never heard of it. It reminds me of some gimmick from a few years ago that was supposed to increase hp and mileage(can't remember the name right now) was advertised for about 6 monthes and then gone. If Jimberg saw it and said its crap then... its crap. LOL:D

Good to see you post Jim, how you been bro?

srv1 04-13-2002 01:43 PM

Tornado is blowing smoke up your.....

no dyno pull, no buy. if they cant back it up with an engine or wheel dyno, then it doesnt work. if that was case, i guess Holley, Trick Flow and Edelbrock would be out of business. leave it to the people who have spent the thousands and thousands of dollars in research for an engine, not a company that uses "2 liter bottles" for what they call "research".

jimberg 04-13-2002 02:04 PM

Hey, Rick. I'm doin' well. I was hoping to relax this summer and just enjoy the car a bit but my car decided otherwise. My wife and I drove to Chicago in my Mustang last weekend which was great, but the roads are so bad there that I really messed up one of my wheels. The rim is majorly chewed up. My seat broke once again so I'm driving around like one of those reclined ricer punks. The brakes started acting up. I'm pretty sure it's the master cylinder.

So... now I have two grey cloth Corbeau Targa RS seats on order, and I'm going to be ordering the Baer Pro kit for the front and the Touring kit for the rear. Oh, and I'll be getting a new wheel. I suppose it will be nice having a matching, full-sized spare. I have a lot of work to do this summer now. I still have to put the freakin' Probe back together and clean up the garage. At least the weather is finally starting to get nice.

How are things going with you?

rbatson 04-13-2002 03:14 PM

hehehe... going good bro. You were right about my old cpu, it was the mouse. I guess the spare was defective as well. I sold it and got a new one from sony. DVD-rw, DVD player, 512 ddram, 1.6 p4 with all the extras for $1400. I haven't driven the mustang for over a month now because... well you'll have to email me;)

rbatson978@aol.com