MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 10-10-2005, 09:45 PM   #1
MLMike25
Registered Member

Default Dumb noob strikes AGAIN! This time, not as dumb...

I'm a car novice. How can I tell if my exhaust is "cat back" or not?

Last edited by MLMike25; 10-14-2005 at 08:33 AM..
MLMike25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 10:54 PM   #2
Orange97GTVert
Mustang Fanatic

Default Re: Dumb noob question

"Catback" is a muffler and tailpipe system, it replaces the entire exhaust system from the flanges behind the catalytic converters. I can tell from the picture that the mufflers are not stock, but that is all. The stock tailpipes have a flattened area just behind the rear wheels. The aftermarket tailpipes are usually mandrel bent and are smooth all the way to the tips, or have stainless tips welded in.

Ford Polished tailpipes usually have a flat edge at the top of the tip, where the aftermarket ones are usually just cut at the angle. Hard to explain unless you really look. The aftermarket ones usually have more polished shine than the stock Ford tips.

You can usually tell if you have a catback if the tailpipes and mufflers look the same age. A lot of people just replace the mufflers at a muffler shop and keep the stock tailpipes.

Hope this helps! Welcome aboard

1997 Mustang GT Convertible, 4.6L Auto, Autumn Orange w/Saddle Tan Top & Leather Interior, Styling Bar, 17 X 9 Polished Cobra R's on Nitto NT 555's, Ford Racing Bullitt Suspension package, Mac CAI, Steeda UDP's, Flowmaster 40 Series Catback, SCT X-Calibrator II, Zaino Shine, 7 time Show Winner, driven daily
Orange97GTVert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 02:27 PM   #3
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

Smile Re: Dumb noob question

All 'cat-back' means is that the exhaust system has been replaced from the catalytic converters 'back', which would include the connector pipes (from the catalytic converter to the muffler), the mufflers and the tailpipes. In short, you replaced the exhaust system. Few people have to replace the catalytic converters and in fact, many Mustang owners remove them and replace them with a pipe that leads to the headers.

Your photo shows that you still have the catalytic converters, new connector pipes, new mufflers and, I would presume, new tailpipes. I presume this because the old tailpipes are usually rusted at the muffler connection and impossible to save. Besides, every knowledgable Mustang owner wants the bright, shiny exhaust tips that new stainless steel tailpipes offer.

I trust this explains the definition of 'cat-back' exhaust and reassures you that is exactly what you have.
Old 10-12-2005, 12:52 PM   #4
HoodStrype
Rearview Mirror Haze

PS:

There's no such thing as a dumb newby question. We all started from the same place. The only dumb question is the one that goes as follows...

"I just put a fiberglass cowl hood on my mustang... how much horsepower do I have now?"

If you stay away from that you'll be good! Nice Mustang by the way, from what I can see no one has welded anything on it on the underside. That's rare. Mine has the O2 sensors welded into the exhaust!

...the epitome of Murphy's Law
HoodStrype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 08:32 AM   #5
MLMike25
Registered Member

I bought this off-road Mac h-pipe on ebay. Based on the pic above, can anyone guess if I will need any welding done or if this should bolt right up? My exhaust system is stock with Flowmaster mufflers. Thanks.

Old 10-14-2005, 06:18 PM   #6
RBatson
Registered Member

It should bolt right up. Do yourself a favor and buy the longest extension wrench you can find before you start.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: