MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 08-28-2001, 07:27 PM   #1
srv1
Get down.....

Question E or B Cam?

i have a 90 LX with Mac unequal length shorties, h-pipe, 2 chambers, MSD coil, K&N. the rest of the motor is stock. has anyone JUST used the E or B cam on a totally stock motor, and if so, what are the results of each? i want to go to the B-cam. did anyone have rockers when you had your cam in? if so which ratio? oh i have 3.55's in it.

---------------------
90 LX Black on Black
Flowbabies, h pipe, Mac unequal shoties, Hurst, MSD coil, subframes, 3.55's, lowered, K&N, and 99 Cobra's with 245/45/17's that dotn fit!
Old 08-29-2001, 01:18 AM   #2
Unit 5302
Registered Member

You won't see a thing. The cam is the last component, and least important to change on the Mustang 5.0. The HO cam is well capable of putting you into the 12's. The intake is not, the heads stock, also will give you problems to do that.
Old 08-29-2001, 02:09 AM   #3
90dpscoupe
Registered Member

Well unit is correct, a stock cam cam push a 5.0 to low 12's, but unit, im getting a cam anyways, for one i like the sound, 2, i want some high trap speeds say around 106 mph, a stock cam just wont push a 5.0 that fast topend unless you have severe head porting in which you might as well throw in a cam when you have the motor tore down, and i would recomend the b, actually i say get a crane 2031, and some crane 1.7 rockers, but heads and intake will help out, and be easier to installl.
Old 08-29-2001, 06:24 PM   #4
Unit 5302
Registered Member

I actually doubt you'll see even a single mph higher on trap with a cam swap on stock unported heads. It's just not going to add any hp to heads that actually lose flow above .500 lift. The stock cam already runs lifts equivelent to near max flow production on the heads.

You can get a cam for sound, but for performance, I doubt you'll see any gains worth mentioning until the heads are worked on.

Between the B cam and the E cam, the B cam will sound more badass, and it'll produce more hp in the higher revs, sacrificing low end to do it.

To each his own of course.
Old 08-31-2001, 12:17 AM   #5
90dpscoupe
Registered Member

Doesnt the e make more topend then b? well i dont want to make a big debate over this, but i guess your right about unported heads, they wont flow what the bigger cam has to offer, but now that i htought about this, the best cam for a stang would have to be a custom grind, matched to mods of car.
Old 08-31-2001, 09:53 AM   #6
Capri306

Arrow

Before I transfer this to Windsor Power Forum...

Ditto what Unit5302 said.

From what Ford Racing recommends --

-- B cam for stick cars
-- E cam for automatics

The duration is more important than the lift with these cams. Look at lobe separation angle too when you want to know how it'll idle and sound "bad-azz." You want an exciting cam check out the Xtreme Energy's CompCams has.

------------------
Capri306, Moderator, The Mustang Works Online
1979 Mercury Capri, 5.0L -- C4 -- 2.73
1987 Mustang LX Notch
Closed Thread