MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-09-2001, 06:09 PM   #1
cleangreenmachine

Post education

Just wondering how many of you on this board have some sort of formal education in auto repair. I got the flyer from the local community college the other day and classes only cost about $35 each! Only problem is, I have to start in the fall once I've gained "official" CA residency.

I figure for about $600-700 I could have an Associates Degree in Auto Technology, if they let me transfer some of my general ed credits from Penn State. Plus I think homework would actually be fun for a change.

So, has anyone benefit from this sort of thing?

------------------
Greg
91 LX Convertible
Old 01-09-2001, 06:18 PM   #2
95mustanggt
Registered Member

No formal education in Auto repair, but an Engineering degree with specialties in fluid dynamics (aerodynamics), metallurgical engineering, advanced math and physics and material design coupled with growing practical experience in heavy duty mechanics helps (although there are HUGE differences between diesel and gasoline engines).

I've often thought about taking some courses in auto mechanics. Of course I also think that good old experience is very hard to replace. Even though some guys here have no formal education in auto mechanics, they are just as, if not more knowledgeable in mustangs!

------------------
White 1995 Mustang GT
Dynomax Cat-Back, Offroad H-pipe, K&N Filters w/o Air Silencer
My 1995 Mustang GT
95mustanggt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2001, 06:32 PM   #3
cleangreenmachine

Yeah, no doubt. A lot of the people on this board (and others I've belonged to) could probably get their degree based just on life experience credit.

Where did you get your degree, 95? At PSU the engineering curriculum really separated the strong from everybody else. I could probably handle the math, but not some of the science-based courses. Majoring in Logistics was a good way to get out of, say, having to take chemistry!
Old 01-10-2001, 01:34 AM   #4
88GT5.013.02

Yeah I will be graduating from Wayne State University in Detroit, MI. I have a full ride there and it is a commuter school, so I can stay at home with my 'stang. My degree will be in Electical and Computer Engineering, specializing in computer programming and architecture. I want to get a job at Ford in the calibration department (I know someone there, but I am still dreaming). I will graduate this summer.

I don't have any auto tech classes under my belt (except for auto class in high school, but due to cuts in the budget the wood-shop teacher was teaching auto shop, and he knew nothing, so I taught the class). But from what I have heard, in MI you can take a test to get your mechanics license without classes.

I have quite a bit of real world experience, though. Growing up, my dad had me seriously wrenching when I was 10 (I am 22 now).

It's cool to hear that there are so many people with education here on this website. I mean, I don't judge people that don't have an education, but it's nice to know I am not the only nerd (j/k).

------------------
88GT stock shortblock, ported GT-40 iron heads, Edlebrock Performer intake, 24# inj, Pro-M 75mm Bullet MAM, 3.73, hurst short throw, F-303, electric fan, alum rad, FMS HD clutch, R134a ac conversion, 70mm TB , and some other stuff I probably forgot, best run so far on ET streets is 13.02@106 with a 1.87 60ft Only been to the track once still alot more tuning to do and need more driving experience.(Full body weight GT, full tank of gas, and sway bars connected, gonna disconnect sway bars and dip
Old 01-10-2001, 10:08 AM   #5
95mustanggt
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cleangreenmachine:
Where did you get your degree, 95? At PSU the engineering curriculum really separated the strong from everybody else. I could probably handle the math, but not some of the science-based courses. Majoring in Logistics was a good way to get out of, say, having to take chemistry!
I graduated 2 years ago from the Department of Mining and Petrolium Engineering at the University of Alberta (Edmonton, Alberta).

There were over 500 students in my first year. In one of my lectures the Dean of Engineering asked the people who were in the top 10% of their high school to raise their hands. 80-90% of the people in that room raised their hands! He then said that Half of us would not be here next year. Sure enough he was right...

Engineering can be very tough. But there are many real world experiences that can be tougher yet. I'm sure some of the more...ah...senior guys here on the site can back me up on that.

------------------
White 1995 Mustang GT
Dynomax Cat-Back, Offroad H-pipe, K&N Filters w/o Air Silencer
My 1995 Mustang GT
95mustanggt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2001, 04:36 AM   #6
Mach 1
Registered Member

You can learn all the auto tech stuff from books, unless you want to work in this field, than the degree might be worthwhile.

------------------
1993 GT/AOD
'93 Mustang GT
Mach 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2001, 11:12 AM   #7
cleangreenmachine

I do have a few books, including an ASE-endorsed textbook my sister got me. What really interests me about taking classes is the lab work, the "hands-on" stuff. Getting to mess with stuff that doesn't have to get me to work the next morning while someone experienced observes. That, and $35 for a 15-week class is so cheap!

------------------
Greg
91 LX Convertible
Old 01-12-2001, 10:01 PM   #8
redyj91
Registered Member

The community college classes are good in CA. Esp. if you have a college with a good shop. I went thru Ventura College's Toyota/ASE program and its pretty good. esp. at 11 bucks a credit. Ended up with my TTEN cert. I would have gone on to a career in auto mechanics, but computers make more money.

Mike

------------------
97 Black/Black Cobra Convertable
Compleatly Stock But not for long
redyj91 is offline   Reply With Quote