MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 08-22-2002, 08:38 PM   #1
Rev
Registered Member

Default Enforcement?

Is it just me, or does the word "enforcement" make the hair stand up on the back of anyone elses neck? Certainly, some rules of decorum are necessary for the message boards. Why not just quietly deal with these issues as they arise? Seems that fairly regular threats are posted as to what dire punishnments await those who might breach these nebulous "rules and regulations". Or am I just overly sensitive?

Rev

O.B.C. #2

'66 coupe

Last edited by Rev; 08-22-2002 at 10:17 PM..
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2002, 08:54 PM   #2
Crazy Horse GT
Registered Member

nah, dont worry about it, if your a screw up like me, i guess they will let you know. , cya, marty.

04 sonic blue v - six my beater
89 rs camaro iroc turbo hood, other stuff, my wifes ride
84 lx stang cammed up 289 hi po, etc
65 falcon, maybe by the year 2020.

black 00gt, gone but never forgotten.

R H C- member # 1
o.b.c. da prez- member # 1 if your under 40 dont ask.
goodbye for now odie,r.i.p. 11-27-03
Crazy Horse GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2002, 12:33 AM   #3
Shelby428cj
Registered Member

All I have to say is... "Hey I am still here!!!"
1969 Mustang (Project Rice Eater)
1999 Silver Mustang Saleen S281 (SQ car for stereo contests)
SQ Goddess
My Stereo Bro "tireburner163"
Shelby428cj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2002, 07:25 AM   #4
cyberstang5.0
347ci of HORSE POWER!!!

Don't worry about it, I've been in some pretty touchy threads in the past. I'm still here
cyberstang5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2002, 08:41 AM   #5
Mustangbelle306
Yay for Chickys

Default Re: Enforcement?

Quote:
Originally posted by Rev
Is it just me, or does the word "enforcement" make the hair stand up on the back of anyone elses neck? Certainly, some rules of decorum are necessary for the message boards. Why not just quietly deal with these issues as they arise? Seems that fairly regular threats are posted as to what dire punishnments await those who might breach these nebulous "rules and regulations". Or am I just overly sensitive?

Rev
I see your concern, but with the retarded newbies that have ben filthing this place up, for now I'm GLAD that sticky is there...hopefully they'll go elsewhere to start fights and spam, etc.

It does feel threatening though...all those rules and seems like nothing else was really done from the feedback sticky...I'm still recieving 3289924 emails for the same thread. Perhaps it will come in time---
Mustangbelle306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2002, 09:16 AM   #6
Capri306

I know where you're coming from, Rev. However, Dan has deemed it necessary for us moderators to make sure the rules are applied more strictly now. Being that I know Dan, and that this is HIS website, I do NOT question his methods as to anything to do with this site, much less the internet altogether. Therefore, I am 110% behind the regulations we have. Rude and lewd behavior can be found almost anywhere on the internet. That's why MustangWorks is so different; we keep it clean, and members respect each other. Belle is right about a few newbies, but they're kinda few and far between, thank goodness. I've been checking the Blue Oval Lounge every day now, and so far it's been pretty good; members are adhereing to the rules as far as I can see. The only thread I'm a little worried about is the "date-rape" thread, so I'm keeping a close eye on it.

1979 Mercury Capri
1987 5.0L Mustang LX Notchback
1993 5.8L Eddie Bauer Bronco
Capri306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2002, 10:44 AM   #7
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

Exclamation Re: Enforcement?

Quote:
Originally posted by Rev

Yes, Rev, you are being oversensitive in this instance but as a longstanding, contributing member here your comments and apparent concerns deserve a response.

We're simply administrating the messageboards as any other reputable website does. The rules are not nebulous at all. We'll not permit flames; raw, cursing insults and/or smarmy photos or text messages. Yes, we make judgement calls, as does any other messageboard on the net that cares about what is posted. We're flexible and accomodating but we draw lines, just like the rest of the world does.

The sticky from Dan is a clear reminder of what the rules are. so no one can later claim 'But I didn't know I couldn't do that!'. If it bothers anyone that we actually have standards and rules here, that's not our problem.

We get many new members every day so we need to remind the newbies of what our messageboard policy is. The longtime members like yourself already know. Notice how we get questions regarding timing and/or rear gear ratios constantly? You and I know the answer to these basic questions but newbies don't. That's why they ask - and why we respond. Think of Dan's sticky on forum rules and enforcement the same way.

Unfortunately, rules enforcement only becomes an issue when a few members refuse to accept or abide by the rules, then start threads and complain about it, generating unnecessary controversy and problems for moderators. No more. We refuse to let a few troublemakers use MW messageboards to attack and vilify the staff that support this site. Dan has made that clear and again, for 99.9% of our members, this will never, ever be an issue.

This is a free site - and a good one. It stays that way because we set boundries and limits. If you actually feel we're overbearing when we simply repeat a few longstanding rules, I believe that really is being oversensitive to a common messageboard practice.

As for 'enforcement: this is a website. How else can we 'enforce' anything except by deleting offensive posts and requesting the poster refrain from posting offensive material? For the very few who think they can still do as they please after being asked to knock it off, banning is the only other option left to us. Seems quite logical to me.

The MW staff are all volunteers - including Dan McClain - and we don't have the time - much less the inclination - to argue with people over what should be obvious. The rules are there and they're clear, along with the penalty for being a jerk and flouting them. Abide by the simple, reasonable rules here and you'll never have a problem with us. 99.9% of our members never do.

If that is just too much to bear for some, so be it. We suggest that they do what they think is best for them as we do what we think is best for the site and our members.
Old 08-23-2002, 11:21 AM   #8
RBatson
Registered Member

Rev, just try to tone it down a notch or two and I'm sure you'll be alright. LOL

I know what you're saying but... /bangs fist on table- there must be order ******!!
RBatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2002, 07:39 PM   #9
PKRWUD

Quote:
Originally posted by RBatson
I know what you're saying but... /bangs fist on table- there must be order ******!!
Give me a 1/4 pounder, fries, and a large Coke.

Take care,
~Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote