MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums

MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums (http://forums.mustangworks.com/index.php)
-   Blue Oval Lounge (http://forums.mustangworks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Engine problem 2 wks after warranty exp.!! (http://forums.mustangworks.com/showthread.php?t=45367)

FreeSpirit 02-10-2005 07:38 PM

Engine problem 2 wks after warranty exp.!!

I'm hoping someone can help me. (I also posted in the SVT forum.)
I have a 2001 Cobra that started making a "ticking" noise in the engine 2 wks after my warranty was up. But I only have 24,000 miles on the car.

Does anyone know how I can get Ford to cover the cost of the repairs since I have low miles and I was so close to the end of my warranty? The dealer thinks it's a piston, or lifter, or cylinder head.

I store my Cobra every winter and change the oil regularly...and I'm the only one who drives it (and I'm a girl!).....so I'm hoping that Ford will take the responsibility for the problem.

If anyone could help me, that would be great. :)
Thanks,
Penny

Orange97GTVert 02-10-2005 08:13 PM

Re: Engine problem 2 wks after warranty exp.!!

Most Ford dealers will honor drivetrain warranties in that length of time, no experience with SVT dealers.

FreeSpirit 02-10-2005 09:49 PM

Thanks, Harold, for the info. Hopefully, I'll have good luck :)

The Deuce 02-10-2005 10:33 PM

If it sat all winter without you driving it, I really hope you didn't fire it up and rev it at all for at least 2 minutes.

The bearings would be dry and you'd better believe Ford wouldn't cover that on a car with 1,000 miles.

I don't want to be overly pessimistic, but I think you could be in trouble.

Unit 5302 02-11-2005 12:12 AM

It's probably the cylinder head, and I believe there was a recall.

I would ask them to perform the maintanence.

red82gt 02-11-2005 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unit 5302
It's probably the cylinder head, and I believe there was a recall.

I would ask them to perform the maintanence.

I remember hearing about this too

Mr 5 0 02-11-2005 05:51 PM

Penny:

Ford had big problems with the 1999 Cobras (sub-par intakes, inaccurate HP ratings) and cancelled production for the 2000 model but I don't believe there was a recall for cylinder head problems on the '01's - but I may be mistaken.

In any case, I would try changing the oil - while the engine is hot - at least twice over the next 500 miles. You may just have some unremoved gunk in the engine that is making for a noisy lifter. However, if you started the engine cold after sitting for months - without priming the oil pump - you may well have done some engine damage. Before panicking, I would first do the oil change(s) and give the car a good, long, high-speed run (with fresh oil) to see if the noise subsides - as it well might.

You see, automobile engines are like people in one regard: they need 'exercise'. When they sit, unused, for months, sludge can form in the engine and starting a stone-cold engine with no oil pressure can damage upper cylinder parts or even score the walls. I trust this won't be the case with your Cobra and that a good run will clear out any sludge and restore your 4.6 to it's former quiet glory. :)

Unit 5302 02-12-2005 05:49 PM

Now that I think about it, Mr 5 0 is right. It was the 2003 Cobra's that had the heads recalled for faulty valve guides.

red82gt 02-12-2005 09:20 PM

There was a cooling issue withthe cobra heads one year too, causing detonation problems, I seem to think that it was 2001?