MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-07-2002, 02:08 AM   #1
Mercury
The Redneck James Bond

Angry Even thought its a movie, its nothing to laugh at.

I have always been intersted in war Movies. The war movies that portray war for what it really is, not the John Wayne All men die a Hero war movie.

I went last weekend to see We Were Soliders. I thought it was an excellent movie. Very powerfull, both visually, and emotionally. During this movie, and Saving Private Ryan, something disturbed me. The audience. Cheering, and laughing. Majority of those being young military.

It distrubed me because, War is not something to cheer about. It may just be a harmless showing of patriotism, but I see it as more than that. How can one cheer at the death of another. To me, that shows a great disrespect for those who fought for this country, and died for this country, and other causes and countries.

Behind every death in war is a trail of family. Every death leaves tears shed by brothers, sisters, daughters, sons, mothers, fathers, and wives. How is that glorious? How is that just?

Just because they are the enemy does not mean that they are cruel and heartless souls. Does not mean they dont bleed. Does not mean they dont love. Does not mean that they dont have loved ones who will shed tears. Just because they are on an opposing side is not reason enough to hate them. They are the soliders of an opposing view point, be it religious, or political.

How is it funny seing a German solider, or a North Veitnamesse soldier being killed. I know it is a movie, but to me the two mentioned movies are more than that. Its a memorial made in honor for those who fought and died in those conflicts.

Maybe I feel this way because of when I was younger, I use to spend days with my Grandpa. We would go eat Donuts and Mr Donut with all of his friends. More than a few of them were Verterans. Be it World War 2, or Korean. Maybe because I have talked to some who had fought in Vietnam, and seen them cry when they try to talk about it. Maybe because I have heard first hand accounts of Napalm and the smell of burning flesh. Maybe because I have seen how it has affected these people.

Maybe because I have seen my Step dad shed tears, wince, and have sleepless nights after seeing Saving Private Ryan. He is retired Army, 82nd Airborne. He has been in several conflicts, and lost people under his lead.

I will end my rant now, even though it is incomplete. Oh, I thought the movie was excellent, just nothing to laugh at or take lightly.
Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote