View Single Post
Old 02-02-2005, 10:32 PM   #7
StangFlyer
Founder

Default Re: Everyone... Is it faster?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ieatcamaros
I am on broadband and I too, have noticed that the pages seem to be loading faster than they used to. I have mostly noticed that I don't get that "dead link" when I click on each thread anymore. Good work Dan!
MW is actually hosted on a large web farm. It has a cluster of eight web servers that use hardware load balancing. It turned out that there were three servers that had developed a networking issue. Now that it's been corrected it seems those servers are not experiencing the problem anymore. Thus, no more white pages (which happened when the networking issue would cause problems reading files from the FileServer and cause page processing errors).

We have a lot of hosting capacity now. Those who recall the whole Cobra abuse thread fiasco a couple years back, it brought our single web and database servers at the time to their knees. The site can now scale up to handle surges in traffic like that.

Just a note... as you can see the site has three different graphical ads that get loaded per page. The two large ad sizes primarily get served from the advertising company used on the site. Each page load your browser is actually loading those ads from ourside ad servers... not ours... therefore, any load time delay experienced on the ads can "hang" the loading of the page as a whole. That makes it appear to be a slow down from us... although it is actually being caused by the ad servers on their end.
Media Center Gallery - View my member photos
StangFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote