MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 08-29-2002, 03:43 PM   #1
Hethj7
Mizzou Tigers

Default Baseball strike...does anyone really care??

Well, baseball may strike tomorrow and I for one really could care less. I love my Kansas City Royals and stand by them even if they are horrible, but Major League baseball just sucks.

Besides, Football is now the American pastime and the season is ready to get underway. College games already have started, my MU Tigers play Saturday, and the CHIEFS get things kicked off in another week. Looks like I know what I am doing every Saturday and Sunday through January !

1990 LX
GT-40 motor 262 horsepower, 307ft-lbs (sold but forever loved)

1998 Contour SVT

Rice Haters Club Member #244
Hethj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2002, 03:53 PM   #2
Mustangbelle306
Yay for Chickys

I can't believe how disgustingly greedy pro players are today...

Matt and I were just discussing a few months ago that if baseball ever went on strike again, that not many people would really care. Baseball has been America's pastime for decades, and back in the day, the players were HEROES for little kids...guys like DiMaggio and Ruth were normal men, but they LOVED the sport, and I bet that they would have played for HALF of what they made then--for the GAME. Sure they weren't fairy tale knights or anything, but they certainly cared more than the overgrown BRATS that are in the league nowadays. I mean seriously...I know a pro player's career isn't as long as a desk job, but come on...you can't tell me MILLIONS OF DOLLARS A YEAR isn't enough?? And that you don't care about your fans enough that you just DON'T PLAY so you can get your money??? **** that, they can play for an empty stadium for all I care.

Even at freekin Pep Losers, I would NOT walk out on the job if I knew that a devoted co worker would have to cover my slack, or if a customer really needed my help. Basically these players don't give a **** about their fans, even though the FANS are basically who pay them the money they're striking for!!
Mustangbelle306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2002, 04:01 PM   #3
Hammer
AKA "Dr. Evil"

If they strike, I'd rather go see replacement players play the game...

Heck, we've got one guy here in Dallas getting paid 250 Million over several years.... that's right, a quarter BILLION dollars to play baseball....

Sorry, they get no sympathy from me....
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2002, 04:42 PM   #4
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

They make me sick...........What a bunch of losers. They are not worth my effort or I would type alot more.

Later,
Dark_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2002, 05:57 PM   #5
foxbodied
Registered Member

Just people who want 8 mill instead of 7 mill a year.Bastards
foxbodied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2002, 06:10 PM   #6
MidNiteBlu 5.0
I got something to say

What a bunch of prissy stuck up assholes. I hope they strike and I hope baseball never recovers. Maybe it will lead the way for Major League Lacrosse to get more popular

I never really liked baseball anyways but it has just gone to crap lately.

Later,
Nick
1987 Toyota Pickup
Ricer Haters Club Member #33

Want a custom gauge cluster for your Vintage Mustang?
www.jmeenterprises.com
MidNiteBlu 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2002, 06:25 PM   #7
inferno
The Instigator

You guys are forgetting about something. While I agree that the amount of money being made by baseball players is rediculous, think how much more money the owners of baseball teams are making to afford to be able to pay these outragous salaries. The owners are basically making the salaries of the players. A-rod didn't ask for the 250 million contract...it was offered to him and him being a smart man took the money. The contract that he was ready to sign was "only" worth 170 million but for a longer term as well meaning less per year. The owners want to cap the salaries of the players so that they can continue to make more and more money and laugh at the players for accepting limits. I personally think that the smart thing for the players to do in this situation is not to strike and to continue playing for the fans. If the owners decide to lock them out next season, at least we can't blame the players since they are being kept from playing by the greedy owners.
Old 08-29-2002, 06:47 PM   #8
MTU 50
GOT TORQUE ????

To answeer your question. Nope. They can take the NBA with them too. As long as Football and Hockey are alright, I'm good.
190 LPH fuel pump, 3-row radiator,
Maximum Motorsports full length subframes

2002 Oldsmobile Bravada(wife's car)
2005 Ford Taurus SEL (company ride)

GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS !!!!
MTU 50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2002, 07:39 PM   #9
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

Exclamation Baseball

I'm not a real sports fan and no expert so I may have this wrong but I understand that the owners of teams in the smaller cities can't compete with the N.Y., L. A. and Chicago teams for money (TV mostly) and can't pay the huge salaries to obtain the big names so they keep losing money - they claim. I have my doubts as they never open the books to prove their case.

The owners want to put a cap on player salaries, naturally, but the players don't want that, naturally,and so we have the impasse that may well lead to a strike, which is really dumb.

It's easy to castigate prima donnas playing a kids game for millions of dollars but who would turn down millions a year to do that...really? Not me. Hey, the players of old were real men, granted, but Babe Ruth was paid $50,000. when he joined the Yankees in 1921 and that was probably worth close to a millon or more in buying power then, when a new Ford cost $450. Babe loved the game but he wasn't playing for chump change, either.

I may have missed something here but it seems as if baseball has been ruined - mostly - by owners with their greed; expansion teams and ever-higher salaries to young men who naturally believe they are above everyone else when they are constantly praised as kids, as soon as it becomes obvious they have some talent, held up as 'special' by peers, courted by pros in high school and at 20 years old or so, paid millions to hit a ball with a stick while millions watch them do it on TV. It's hard to be humble with that kind of background and the players show that.

The old days of baseball were certainly better in many respects but even then, players were stars and owners got rich.

As I said, I'm not a real sports fan and I may have this wrong but as a casual observer of the baseball scene, I think both owners and players are equally at fault here but since most people don't even know who the owners are, we blame the high-salary players who we DO know. They may deserve the blame they get and the disgust expressed by many for their greed as well as their arrogrance but I don't give the owners a lot of slack, either.

If the players do strike and the game suffers, so be it. Unfortunately, following the last few strikes, attendance has risen, not fallen. Go figure. This could be different as fans seem to be really disgusted but we'll see. Soon.

Mr 5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2002, 08:26 PM   #10
crewzin
Registered Member

Default Baseball shmaseball

Who cares! Thats my vote. Baseball is boring as hell to watch. I never understood what everyone sees in the game. Ya, when I was a kid it was fun. But Im not going to watch a bunch of overpaid jerks who work for tyrants stand around and play a kids game. Same goes for golf. I would rather light my *** on fire and run thru traffic. At least people would get entertained. I say let em strike close down baseball and let kids race dirtbikes and go carts at all the stadiums. Give back to the kids.
Just my opinion.
crewzin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2002, 08:40 PM   #11
RBatson
Registered Member

Default Re: Baseball shmaseball

Quote:
Originally posted by crewzin
Same goes for golf. I would rather light my *** on fire and run thru traffic. At least people would get entertained.
ROFLMAO!! Man, you really painted a picture! I'd actually be more inclined to buy a ticket to see that. You'd make a killing if you sold beer at this event.

As far as the baseball strike, screw'em.
RBatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2002, 08:47 PM   #12
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Well, the owners can't get together to establish salary caps under the table so to speak, because they can't agree on what players are worth. They were guilty of holding players salaries down intentionally several times as more of a salary fixing operation. That being said, a strike will finish off an already weakened sport. The players are idiots for proposing a strike, and the owners are pathetic for not being able to control themselves.

Increasingly, teams are losing money in the sport. Stadiums are ridiculously expensive, and the amount of interest overhead they are paying is absurd. Here in the state of Minnesota we have a crybaby owner named Carl Pohlad. His good buddy, the impotent Bud Selig seem to favor a concept known as retraction. Where they take smaller teams and pull them back because they can't make a profit. In order to keep the Twins they are blackmailing the state to build a stadium, because that will fix the revenue/loss scenerio. Uh-huh. Take a look at Milwaukee. They built a state of the art new stadium, and they are also a team on the possible retraction board. The biggest problem I can see with their asinine proposal is attendance. They can't fill the smaller Metrodome. Why in the world do they think that a more expensive stadium will solve the problem? It's like not being able to make the payments on a new GT, so you're pushing the finance guys to get you into a Cobra.

The owners and commissioner have threatened our state to the point nobody gives a rip. The entire scenerio has been handled poorly, and emphasizes the poor management of MLB. That falls upon the shoulders of the commissioner himself. He's worthless. His concept of retraction doesn't support the fans, and it doesn't support the sport. MLB has not been looking at the market, and it's showing. The NFL has salary caps in place, and you know what? The sport is better for it. You come into a season not knowing who is going to be good. They are beginning to find out some of the less expensive, less known players are just as good as the big dollar guys. Makes for more exciting games, and less expensive ticket prices.

Another sticking point on the negotiations from my understanding is the players want revenue sharing. Give me a break. What the hell do they think their paycheck is?

All in all, I could really give a rats *** about Baseball. The sport is nothing more than a bunch of juiced up steriod using freaks like Barry Bonds. Bonds wasn't a psychotic home run hitter until a couple years ago. Now he's hitting 2x the number of home runs he used to, and at 38 years old. Whatever. It's a disgrace to the game, and all the true players that came before.

I don't know where the figures of higher attendance after the last strike came from Mr 5 0, but I do suffice to say the interest, and enthusiasm for the sport were annihilated by the last strike. It took years to get back to where it was, and once again pick up a following of dedicated fans. The players and the players union are seriously dellusional if they think another lengthy strike won't kill the sport altogether. The fans are angry, and they are angry at the players. Way more than the last time. This time, I don't think there will be a recovery as MLB. Maybe a different league with players interested in playing the game, and inexpensive outtings to the outdoor ballfield to watch some guys making thousands, not millions.

Other sports:

American Football: I like it. Players can be crybabies, many are gangsta-wannabes, and I'm tired of seeing a dance after every single play, regardless of whether or not the play was actually advantageous to the dancing team.

Hockey: Cool stuff, and a blast to watch in person. No other sport is more fun to watch in the arena as far as I'm concerned. Action and excitement every minute or two. A game can leave your heart stopped for 30 seconds where the other sports can only do it for a couple.

NBA: Never liked it, never thought it was more entertaining than watching paint dry. Does the season EVER end? It fills up what could be worthwhile television (albeit I don't watch much) space.

Golf: Kinda neat to watch once in a while for short times. If nothing else than for the great scenery, and lack of a dance by some sawed off ex-gangsta every time a good shot is made.

NASCAR: If I wanted to see a bunch of rednecks race their 1960's engines around, I'd just go to a farm and watch Bubba chase after Ray-Bob when he finds Ray-Bob messing with his wife, Bobby Sue Ann Riley. Might be interesting if the cars were actually used to race each other instead of drivers.

Bowling: Ummm... Yeah. That's not a sport, it's a recreational hobby.

Soccer: Biggest sport in the entire world... I have yet to figure out why? Yeah, exciting watching 2 goals in 3 hours. Figure out a way to infuse action into the game.

Men's Tennis: Ho-hum.

Women's Tennis: HELL YEAH I wanna see Anna Kornikova and Jana Dokic play another match! LOL. Drawback? Serena and Venus Williams. No finesse, just brute force. Has anybody tested the neanderthal's for enhancement drugs?

Motocross: No speak.. me watching. Jaw drops.... I bet I could do that. HEHEHE.

Other forms of car racing: Cool when you have 3hrs of time to waste, hehe.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2002, 08:51 PM   #13
foxbodied
Registered Member

I am a motocrosser and trust me it is far more excitning then baseball. Motocross is getting more popular and baseball on strike? Hell yea in my opinion.
foxbodied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2002, 09:11 PM   #14
The Deuce
Registered Member

I have always thought that the value of MLB was more than entertainment or sport. Baseball is a beautiful metaphor for life. No other sport has the opprotunity for individual excellence, and team greatness.

Sure other sports keep individual stats. But would Jordan have been as good without Pippen? Kobe with no Shaq? Montana withougt Rice (or that O-line?) What if Tiger had to depend on 8 other people for the back nine?

You get the point. The fact that the game is spinning out of control and everyone is playing the victim, mirrors society today. If the people in the sport would wake up and agree that its a game, and it should be enjoyed, not worrying about every penny, things would get better.

You cannot buy loyalty, but you can buy a Pennant. Consider that NYY's have the highest payroll in the majors. The fact that my Angels can beat them ever is a good thing.

Sorry this is a rant, but they should start the negotiations by watching Field of Dreams. I used to tell the seasons by baseball, and now I wonder how much longer anyone will care at all.

Rice Haters Club Member #13
The Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2002, 09:26 PM   #15
bald guy 90gt
Registered Member

Default BASEBALL STRIKE

I REALLY DON'T GIVE A DAMN ABOUT BASEBALL, IWOULD RATHER WATCH DRAG RACING
Old 08-29-2002, 09:44 PM   #16
andy669
Registered Member

Just like everything else, if you dont understand it, youre probably not going to like it. I think I have a considerable amount of knowledge about baseball, and baseball history. I love the game.

The last MLB strike was in 1994. That year 'my team', the White Sox, were headed far in to the post season. (This year the Sox are 17 games back of the Twins, so as my luck would have it there will prolly be no strike...hehe...) The fans were slow to come back, but they did. The homerun race between Sosa and McGwire has been credited for "saving" baseball, and bringing it back to the fans.

If you turn on SportsCenter this week the sight of a sign in the stands saying, "If you strike we wont come back", is just as prevalent as a homerun highlight. I think the people who make these signs are ridiculous. All these people see are dollar signs. They think if a player makes millions of dollars then everything should be ok. It isnt, and it shouldnt be.

I dont see the players striking as being any different then when my dad (belonging to the UAW) would go on strike when I was a kid. All the UAW workers wanted was their fare share, and thats all the players want. It just so happens that a players fare share (determined by the market) just happens to be more money in a year than a UAW worker might make in his entire life.

I know there are people in the country working for minimum wage who criticize UAW workers for striking when they do. Their arguement is the same as everyones here: "These guys are making $40-60,000 a year with good benefits, what are they striking for?

Major League Baseball has been around for over one hundred years. It is not going anywhere in a hurry. MLB has some serious problems, but they are not the fault of any one group of people. Even if the players do go on strike, (which I dont think they will) all will be forgotten in the coming years when Barry Bonds is going after Aarons homerun record.

FWIW, it takes more than a pumped up body on steroids to hit homeruns. With that logic, Mr. Universe, or the winner of the Strongest man competitions, could walk on and hit a homerun in every at bat. It takes patience, and for some, years of experience to be able to hit a ball like that. Barry's dad was a major league player. His godfather is Willie Mays for cripes sake! Why does everyone think that steroids is solely responsible for his homerun hitting barrage? I dont think the 'formula' (if there was such a thing) for a good major league hitter gets any better than Barry, steroids, or no steroids.

Andy

91 LX NMRA Pure Street 5120
andy669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2002, 12:00 AM   #17
Mustangbelle306
Yay for Chickys

Quote:
Originally posted by andy669
All these people see are dollar signs. They think if a player makes millions of dollars then everything should be ok. It isnt, and it shouldnt be.

I dont see the players striking as being any different then when my dad (belonging to the UAW) would go on strike when I was a kid. All the UAW workers wanted was their fare share, and thats all the players want. It just so happens that a players fare share (determined by the market) just happens to be more money in a year than a UAW worker might make in his entire life.

I knew it was only a matter of time before someone said this, although the talk of only seeing "dollar signs" is truly more accurate for the players.

Your argument is a weak one, for the sole fact that "loving the game" IS part of their job...they are BALL PLAYERS...entertainers, heros to the little kids who play in the sandlot down the street...Do you see what I'm saying?

And yes, I think it's retarded to betray your followers for $1 million when you already make $5,000,000...Its NOT like a worker striking for fair treatment and wages in exchange for slaving in a factory all day long. When you get to the point that several million a year is not enough to sustain your lifestyle...well...although its their choice how to spend their earnings, you should really stop comparing them to a man who makes $60K to pay a mortgage and feed his wife and 3 kids...
Mustangbelle306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2002, 12:07 AM   #18
joe4speed
He said Member...heh, heh

Thumbs down

Let the greedy bastards strike again, and I hope baseball never returns, and those greedy clowns have a hard time finding a job making 10,000 a year coaching little league. Nothing makes me more mad. I haven't watched baseball hardly at all since their first strike.
Old 08-30-2002, 12:22 AM   #19
Crazy Horse GT
Registered Member

hockey rules, my red wing's took pay cut's to get hasek & brett hull just to win the big one, i still like football, but they cant stand any pain, oh i broke my thumb, i'll be back next year, while hockey player's get a 12 inch cut to the face, tape it up & go back on the ice for the next shift, baseball used to be cool, now it's, i want 2 million a year, for a game i used to play for fun, for nothing. spoiled baby's, nascar is starting to really suck, btw unit, most of the driver's are northerner's now, just a fact. so rocko & vinnie are the boy's now. lol. oh yea, anna k. yummy.

04 sonic blue v - six my beater
89 rs camaro iroc turbo hood, other stuff, my wifes ride
84 lx stang cammed up 289 hi po, etc
65 falcon, maybe by the year 2020.

black 00gt, gone but never forgotten.

R H C- member # 1
o.b.c. da prez- member # 1 if your under 40 dont ask.
goodbye for now odie,r.i.p. 11-27-03
Crazy Horse GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2002, 12:30 AM   #20
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Yeah, so when you go from a 20-25hr/yr guy to a 40-60hr/yr guy well after your prime that's normal right? If you think even for a second steriod use isn't extremely prevelent in baseball you need to up your medication. The idea that being stronger doesn't make for more home runs is absurd. Taking steroids increases a players strength, bat speed, and flexibility during swings. It takes a good player (like Bonds) to a new level without the effort his peers made for this great 100 year legacy for which you speak.

It took YEARS for the fans to come back last time, and that strike is still in the memory of fans this time. If you think baseball will somehow just be like nothing happend, you're crazy. You can kiss the sport goodbye. Take a look at the posts here. I think you'll get the feel for the general public. They're pissed, and I seriously doubt many care about baseball anymore.

I'm not complaining that players don't deserve fair market price, if you'll read my post, it's mostly the owners fault. They have the power to enforce their own salary cap. As for the NYY, compare their record, and their payroll to Minnesota. Excuse me if I disagree completely with buying a pennant. I think fans are sick and tired of paying out huge sums to watch a bunch of spoiled brats. You think it's ridiculous to not support an industry that doesn't cater to your needs, that overcharges you, and the employees strike every chance they get? Might want to take a look at real world results from striking. UPS went on strike a few years ago and lost dedicated customers by the thousands. Many never went back. Baseball should be prepared for that, and expect it in fact. Minnesotan's as a general rule could care less about the sport, and the last strike was a HUGE contributor to that. The sport just died here. Around the country it died, for fricken years. Look at the value of baseball cards. Baseballs popularity isn't as high as it was, and another strike is going to kill that popularity as well.

Duece, excuse me for being blunt, but football is every bit like your description of baseball. Teams are extremely important, and individual players can make huge differences on the team. Look at Barry Sanders. Soccer is the same way. Again, hockey is exactly the same. Baseball isn't special in the way it works.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote