MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 02-21-2004, 04:58 PM   #1
Jason1320
Registered Member

Default Fuel Filter Change

I looked all over the news groups and I couldn't find all this information in one place. Maybe I'm just the only guy who didn't know. Even so, my Haynes manual didn't mention the special tool you need to get the fuel lines off the filter.

First the fuel filter is located under the car just in front of the gas tank. Before you start you need to relieve the fuel pressure. Do this by unplugging the inertia switch. (It's in the trunk just in front of the driver’s side tail light.) Now start the car and let it run until it stops. (This could take anywhere from no time to 20 minutes. Mine took about 5.) Now crawl under the back of the car (or put it on a lift) and located the filter. Pull off the two plastic hose clips (careful not to break them, they will be reused.) Now loosen the hose clamp holding the filter in place and slide it out of the way. Separate the filter from its holding bracket. Here is where you need the special tool. (I wasted about 15 minutes before I figured this out).

It's called a fuel line disconnect tool and it can be purchased at any auto parts store for about $5. (Follow the link for a picture.)

http://www.thetoolwarehouse.net/shop/KD-3290.html

Use the tool to remove the fuel lines.(Some gas will spill, be careful!) Install the new filter and put everything back the way you found it. Don't forget to reconnect the inertia switch. Now, turn your ignition to on and wait about 5 seconds for the system to re-pressurize, check for leaks. If all is good start the car and let it idle for a minute, check for leaks. Give it some gas and take it for a spin. Check one last time for leaks.

If for some reason your check engine light should come on (Mine did.) Remove the battery cable wait a few seconds and replace it. This should take care of the problem. (I found this out by calling the ford shop and asking.)
Old 02-22-2004, 11:47 AM   #2
91LX2Bfast
Registered Member

Good write-up. I'm sure this will help a lot of members.
91LX2Bfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004, 02:47 AM   #3
runnr4liife
Registered Member

Arrow just a couple notes...

I wouldn't suggest running one of these mod motors out of fuel for fear of detonation/engine damage. there's a schrader valve on the fuel rails to release rail pressure, and to relieve line pressure, apply 15 lb (or is it 20?)of vacuum to the fuel pressure regulator vacuum fitting. it won't empty the lines, so
1. wrap a towel around the fitting before removing it and it will keep any fuel from spilling.
2. Make sure to have a dry-compound fire extinguisher handy just in case!
3. keep a hose handy in case you get any fuel in your eyes.
runnr4liife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004, 03:05 AM   #4
Snakeman
Registered Member

that's weird...
i posted that but it didn't post under my handle, somehow i got logged in as runnr4liife...
strange...
Old 02-23-2004, 04:20 AM   #5
Jason1320
Registered Member

That may very well be true, but I think the stock and mostly stock people will be fine. ( I even found that if your try this in the morning, or after the car has been off for a few hours), it won't even start in the first place. Regaudless, your suggestions about a towel, hose, and F.E. are a great safety addition that should be used with ether method.

I don't know how that could have happened. Some how you got a hold of that users cookie, which should only be possible if he logged in from your computer.