MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-11-2001, 06:51 PM   #21
zepherman
Registered Member

I forgot to include this in my other post. The amount for the offense isn't stated on the back of the ticket like the ones i have seen friends get here in the city. The 235 amount was just written on the top of the ticket by the cop. I guess he just gets to pick any amount he wants to write the ticket for. Thats kinda screwed up.
90 GT 25th Anni. Did the AOD to T-5 swap, SPEC clutch, Steeda Tri-Ax shifter, BBK 2½ inch off-road H pipe, Flows, BBK 70mm TB/EGR, Ford Racing aluminim driveshaft, 3.55's, welded subframes, Ram Air, 3 core radiator, NOS dry kit 75 shot, and a K&N filter.

12.9 @ 108
zepherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2001, 07:58 PM   #22
1BAD89
Tubbed and Juiced

$235 does seem high, but if you roasted them, smoke or not, you still broke the law.
Man WTF am I saying? I'm getting old.

I was just saying that because when people tell their stories they tend to clean everything up a little. Hope no offense was taken Zepherman, I didn't mean to call you a liar, just trying to get the whole story. Yeah, cops can be dicks, but they usually don't write you a ticket for absolutely nothing, and no, I don't want to hear anyone's storys about how they got a ticket for nothing, k?

Look at it this way, if someone roasted the tires and dumped the clutch at 5k, and was trying to find a way to get out of it, you think they would come on here, and say "Hey guys, this cop gave me a ticket because I dumped the clutch at 5k, and lit em up HARDCORE!" Hel! no, they are not going to say that, because everyone will be like "You dumba$$, you deserve it!", etc. Anyway, on to the advice. If it's such a little town like you described, chances are you ARE NOT going to get out of it. And then you'll just have court cost + your ticket, and that would just blow.
You could just pay the ticket, and it'll save you a lot of hassle and worry.

Here's another idea...you could go to court (still have to pay court cost, which can range from $20-$100+) and plead no contest, and talk to the prosecutor and maybe get some community service, defensive driving, and probation (maybe just one of those, or maybe all three) then get it reduced, or maybe even taken off your record.
But I'll tell you this, THAT STUFF SUCKS, and if you get probation, even a single little ticket your screwed.

My gut feeling tells me if you take it to court and try to fight it, your going to get bent over. Either way you decide they are still going to get the money out of you. You just really never know unless you go though, or you can play it safe and just pay it (just think of it as a stage in life)
and live and learn. But now my point of view has changed, because insurance has came to mind.

Have you checked the laws to see if this will add ANY points to your license? If it adds ANY, go to court and just see what happens. Worst case scenario: You go there and end up paying $300 (very unlikely) but at least you won't be kicking yourself in the a$$ for not going. Courts a big hassle though. Seriously, if you really are saying exactly what happend I'd be pissed too, if I were you.

Court tips: Dress nice; black slacks with a white shirt, tie and black shoes do nicely. I think what will happen then......(but by the time you bought all that, you'd been better off paying the ticket.....my point of view just keeps changing sorry.....

P.S. after a while you won't be so mad about it, and your wallet will be full again.
1BAD89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2001, 10:15 PM   #23
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Oklahoma is fucked up.

Driving in a manor not reasonable or proper. That sounds like a reckless or careless.

Guess what? It's not gonna hold up. The cop was way out of line, I'm sure the prosecutor will agree with that. Plead not guilty, talk to the arraignment officer, if he doesn't agree to drop it to unreasonable acceleration and take it off your record, fight it. A jury? WTF is that? On a petty misdemeanor? Not a chance. You'll have a judge, not a jury, and I'd choose a judge over a jury for a traffic offense anyway. There is no way you'll be convicted of what appears to be a reckless for squealing your tires.

Incidentally, if this all went down like you said, maybe the karma will come back around and the jerk cop will get hit by a car or something. I certainly wouldn't feel bad for him.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2001, 10:39 PM   #24
tireburner163
It's a lot like a race car

zepherman Going to court isn't that bad. I went to court to fight a careless driving charge and won. The judge said the cop was well within his rights to give me the ticket, but sense it was my first ticket that he would let me go.

1Bad89 court costs? What court costs? I didn't have to pay and court costs. And no way a petty crime like this would go before a jury.

1998 HD Electra Elide
tireburner163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2001, 11:02 PM   #25
1BAD89
Tubbed and Juiced

Yeah when you go to court(around here, don't know about mississippi?), you have to pay court cost no matter what, even if they dismiss it. I've sat in the courtroom, and watched many ,many cases, and you would really be shocked to see what goes before a jury.

Quote:
A jury? WTF is that?
1. Law. A body of persons sworn to judge and give a verdict on a given matter, especially a body of persons summoned by law and sworn to hear and hand down a verdict upon a case presented in court.
Old 12-12-2001, 01:58 AM   #26
zepherman
Registered Member

I actually think the cop was justified in goving me a ticket, because what I did was kinda stupid. My only problem is that it was for $235 instead of $50-90. If I were on the giving end i would have given a warning for what i did.
90 GT 25th Anni. Did the AOD to T-5 swap, SPEC clutch, Steeda Tri-Ax shifter, BBK 2½ inch off-road H pipe, Flows, BBK 70mm TB/EGR, Ford Racing aluminim driveshaft, 3.55's, welded subframes, Ram Air, 3 core radiator, NOS dry kit 75 shot, and a K&N filter.

12.9 @ 108
Old 12-12-2001, 04:39 PM   #27
Mustangbelle306
Yay for Chickys

OMG no offense but you are a smart *** and a half!!!!

I'm soooo sure he wasn't asking for the DEFINITION of a jury (for anyone that wants to verify 1BAD89's version, the site is www.websters.com )

Not only that, I can totally understand why most people are shocked...a jury for a tire ticket? Whoooweeee I'm sure glad I don't live where you do...a state that people get away with mail fraud, but get ticketed for chirping a tire
Mustangbelle306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2001, 05:24 PM   #28
silver_pilate
DURKA DURKA!!

Well, you did the crime, but like most everyone else here, I don't jive with the $235 fine. That seems a little excessive. If I were you, I'd talk with a lawyer about it...especially if you have a buddy who knows one who can maybe help you out. There are ways around getting points on your license and even ways around paying inflated fines.

Just to share....

I was driving home from work the other night about 10 pm and got pulled over. It is on the very edge of town, and the highway goes past a Sonic and a Wal Mart before hitting the 70/65 speed limit. Well, most of the time, I get get up to speed before I actually leave the posted 50. This night, I was tired, had a crappy last couple of days, and I wanted to get home. I pushed it just as I passed the Wal Mart and lights come on immediately coming the opposite direction. I immediately pull over, and tell myself that they busted me this time. The officer comes up and says he clocked me at 74mph in a posted 50! Now, I'm the first to admit that I was actually doing that fast, but I told the officer, "74....I thought I may have hit 65." He told me to get my speedo checked and took my license back with him. I thought for sure I was busted...24mph over the speed limit...no way they would let me take defensive driving for that one. Well, he comes back up to the car and hands me my drivers license and asked where I lived. I told him, and he told me to drive safely. He gave me a freaking courtesy stop!!! Not even a warning!! I couldn't believe it. I'll tell you this, though...I sure needed it that night. A ticket probably would have pushed me over the edge with the other stuff that was going on.

--nathan
'91 GT, Coast 347, 9.5:1 compression, full intake, Wolverine 1087 cam, exhaust, Keith Craft ported Windsor Jr. Irons (235 cfm intake, 195 cfm exhaust), AOD, PI 3500 converter, Lentech valve body, 3.73's (4.10's in the works), and Yokohama ES100's out back.

Daily Car: '04 Infiniti G35 Sedan 6MT
silver_pilate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2001, 07:46 PM   #29
1BAD89
Tubbed and Juiced

Quote:
(for anyone that wants to verify 1BAD89's version, the site is www.websters.com )
Actually.....it was off www.dictionary.com

Mustangbelle306, I used to talk to you on aol all the time....don't know if your remmber me or not? Mail fraud, what are you talking about? For a drag racing ticket if you plead not guilty you have a trial with a jury and everything. Reckless driving isn't too far off, it isn't as severe but if you fight it(but then again, you didn't even realy get reckless driving...), you have to fight it the same way. Do what you want though.

Last edited by 1BAD89; 12-12-2001 at 07:57 PM..
Old 12-12-2001, 08:09 PM   #30
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Like I said, Oklahoma is fucked up. Paying court costs for being found not guilty? LOL. Only a true idiot like Okieboy could have thought of a policy such as that.

In a real state, such as Minnesota, you don't have the right to a jury because a standard traffic citation is not considered a true "crime," it's instead referred to as a "petty misdemeanor." In a real state, a traffic citation is not admissible evidence in court, nor can you receive jail time for it, nor is the penalty as great as that for a misdemeanor. Since you cannot be convicted of a crime, or serve time in prison, you are not subject to the right to a jury trial.

Quote:
§47-11-807.

(a) In every charge of violation of any speed regulation in this article, the complaint, also the summons or notice to appear, shall specify the speed at which the defendant is alleged to have driven, also the maximum speed applicable within the district or at the location.

(b) The provision of this article declaring maximum speed limitations shall not be construed to relieve the plaintiff in any action from the burden of proving negligence on the part of the defendant as the proximate cause of an accident.

(c) Every person convicted of violating any Provision of Article VIII, Sections 11-801 to 11-807 inclusive, shall be guilty of a misdemeanor and upon conviction shall be fined in a sum of not less than Ten Dollars ($10.00) and not more than Two Hundred Dollars ($200.00), or shall be sentenced to serve a term of not less than five (5) days nor more than thirty (30) days in jail, or by both such fine and imprisonment.

What a backass state. I'm sorry for those of you who live there. I have relatives there as well, so don't think I'm insulting the people of OK. Since you can serve jail time for a speeding ticket in OK (what a crock of ****), and you are technically convicted of a crime you have the right to a jury trial.

Quote:
47-11-801v1/v2
A. Any person driving a vehicle on a highway shall drive the same at a
careful and prudent speed not greater than nor less than is reasonable
and proper, having due regard to the traffic, surface and width of the
highway and any other conditions then existing, and no person shall
drive any vehicle upon a highway at a speed greater than will permit
the driver to bring it to a stop within the assured clear distance
ahead.

B. Except when a special hazard exists that requires lower speed for
compliance with subsection A of this section, the limits specified in
this act or established as hereinafter authorized shall be maximum
lawful speeds, and no person shall drive a vehicle on a highway at a
speed in excess of such maximum limits:

1. Seventy-five (75) miles per hour in locations comprising:

a. the turnpike system, and
b. rural segments of the interstate highway system, as may be
designated by the Transportation Commission. Provided, however,
the Commission shall determine prior to the designation of such
segments that the public safety will not be jeopardized;

2. Seventy (70) miles per hour in locations which are:

a. four-lane divided highways including, but not limited to, the
interstate highway system, and
b. super two-lane highways. As used in this section, a super two-lane
highway shall mean any two-lane highway with designated passing
lanes, and consisting of paved shoulders not less than eight (8)
feet in width.

3. Sixty-five (65) miles per hour in other locations;

4. No person shall drive a school bus at a speed greater than a
maximum of fifty-five (55) miles per hour on paved two-lane highways
except on turnpikes and interstate highways where the maximum shall be
sixty-five (65) miles per hour;

5. On any highway outside of a municipality, the speed limit in a
properly marked school zone shall be a maximum of twenty-five (25)
miles per hour, provided the zone is marked with appropriate warning
signs placed in accordance with the latest edition of the Manual on
Uniform Traffic Control Devices. The Oklahoma Department of
Transportation may determine on the basis of an engineering and
traffic investigation that a speed limit higher than twenty-five (25)
miles per hour may be reasonable and safe under conditions as they
exist upon a highway, and post an alternative school zone speed limit.
The Department of Transportation shall mark such school zones, or
entrances and exits onto highways by buses or students, so that the
maximum speed provided by this section shall be established therein.
Exits and entrances to controlled-access highways which are within
such school zones shall be marked in the same manner as other
highways. The county commissioners shall mark such school zones along
the county roads so that the maximum speed provided by this section
shall be established therein. Said signs may be either permanent or
temporary. The Department of Transportation shall give priority over
all other signing projects to the foregoing duty to mark school zones.
The Department shall also provide other safety devices for school
zones which are needed in the opinion of the Department;

6. No person shall drive any vehicle at a greater maximum speed than
twenty-five (25) miles per hour or a posted alternative school zone
speed limit through state schools located on the state-owned land
adjoining or outside the limits of a corporate city or town where a
state educational institution is established;

7. No person shall drive any vehicle on a highway in any state park or
wildlife refuge at a rate of speed in excess of thirty-five (35) miles
per hour. Provided, however, that the provisions of this section shall
not include the State Capitol park area, and no person shall drive any
vehicle at a rate of speed in excess of forty-five (45) miles per hour
on any state or federal designated highway within such areas; and

8. No person shall drive any vehicle or combination of vehicles with
solid rubber or metal tires at a speed greater than the maximum of ten
(10) miles per hour.

The maximum speed limits set forth in this act may be altered as
authorized in Sections 11-802 and 11-803 of this title.

C. The Transportation Commission is hereby authorized to prescribe
maximum and minimum speeds for all vehicles and any combinations of
vehicles using controlled-access highways. Such regulations shall
become effective after signs have been posted on these highways giving
notice thereof. Such regulations may apply to an entirely
controlled-access highway or to selected sections thereof as may be
designated by the Transportation Commission. It shall be a violation
of this section to drive any vehicle at a faster rate of speed than
such prescribed maximum or at a slower rate of speed than such
prescribed minimum. However, all vehicles shall at all times conform
to subsection A of this section.

Copies of such regulations certified as in effect on any particular
date by the Secretary of the Transportation Commission shall be
accepted as evidence in any court in this state. Whenever changes have
been made in speed zones, copies of such regulations shall be filed
with the State Commissioner of Public Safety.

D. The driver of every vehicle shall, consistent with the requirements
of subsection A of this section, drive at an appropriate reduced speed
when approaching and crossing an intersection or railway grade
crossing, when approaching and going around a curve, when approaching
a hillcrest, when driving upon any narrow or winding roadway, and when
special hazard exists with respect to pedestrians or other traffic, or
by reason of weather or highway conditions.

E. 1. No person shall drive a vehicle on a county road at a speed in
excess of fifty-five (55) miles per hour unless posted otherwise by
the board of county commissioners, as provided in subparagraphs a
through c of this paragraph, as follows:

a. the board of county commissioners may determine, by resolution, a
maximum speed limit which shall apply to all county roads which
are not otherwise posted for speed,
b. the board of county commissioners shall provide public notice of
the speed limit on all nonposted roads by publication in a
newspaper of general circulation in the county. The notice shall
be published once weekly for a period of four (4) continuous
weeks, and
c. the board of county commissioners shall forward the resolution to
the Director of the Department of Transportation and to the
Commissioner of Public Safety.

2. The Department of Transportation shall post speed limit
information, as determined pursuant to the provisions of subparagraphs
a through c of paragraph 1 of this subsection, on the county line
marker where any state highway enters a county and at all off-ramps
where interstate highways or turnpikes enter a county. The signs shall
read as follows:

ENTERING ________ COUNTY

COUNTY ROAD SPEED LIMIT

____ MPH

UNLESS POSTED OTHERWISE

The appropriate board of county commissioners shall reimburse the
Department of Transportation the full cost of the signage required
herein.
I take it this is the law that is cited on your speeding ticket? It doesn't make any reference to you accelerating hard. The ticket has no merit unless it's speed related. Give me the number of the law broken.
Old 12-12-2001, 08:19 PM   #31
1BAD89
Tubbed and Juiced

Quote:
Like I said, Oklahoma is fucked up. Paying court costs for being found not guilty? LOL. Only a true idiot like Okieboy could have thought of a policy such as that.
You have to pay court costs no mater what LiL UNI.
Even if you get it dismised you still have to pay court costs. I got pulled over on my Motorcycle one time, I got a ticket because I didn't have my insurance card with me, and I took my insurance card to court, and got it dismissed, but I still had to pay like $20 in "court costs". They are going to get money out of you somehow..... Each ticket you get has a "SET" court cost. That's how it works around here. Yeah I'm an idiot for telling how it works.....
Old 12-12-2001, 08:32 PM   #32
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Hey Okieboy, read my post again... If it's too long for you, just read the parts not in quotes. I'm not arguing with your statement that you have to pay, just saying you are a moron, and it would take somebody as stupid as you to think of such a fee.

I don't have time to look into it to see if a jury trial is the only one that costs money. In a civil action here, a jury case does cost, where a standard case does not.
Old 12-12-2001, 08:43 PM   #33
1BAD89
Tubbed and Juiced

I'm the moron? Your the one that thinks your mustang will run low 13's with slicks....LOL, I never commented on that post, but I sure did make me laugh my *** off. Trial or not, you still have to pay a fee.
Old 12-12-2001, 09:53 PM   #34
Mustangbelle306
Yay for Chickys

Quote:
Originally posted by 1BAD89

Actually.....it was off www.dictionary.com

Mustangbelle306, I used to talk to you on aol all the time....don't know if your remmber me or not? Mail fraud, what are you talking about? For a drag racing ticket if you plead not guilty you have a trial with a jury and everything. Reckless driving isn't too far off, it isn't as severe but if you fight it(but then again, you didn't even realy get reckless driving...), you have to fight it the same way. Do what you want though.
we did? when? I was referring to some dickhead that scammed me out of $400, when he was supposed to send me an intake and TB, took my payment through Paypal, and vanished. But its cool, I already contacted my credit card, and they are reimbursing me, then going after him, since all his info is verified through Paypal. I love karma...btw he was from Tulsa, which is why I raged on about it.
Old 12-12-2001, 09:55 PM   #35
zepherman
Registered Member

"Can't we all just get along?"

In any case, my mom has a lawyer friend that is looking into it for me. Also, the back of my ticket only tells me that i have to plead guilty, not guilty, or no contest and lists the methods of payment if pleading anything but not guilty.

12.9 @ 108
Old 12-12-2001, 09:57 PM   #36
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Dude, just cause you can't drive a stick doesn't mean other people can't. Gears, suspension, stock engine and SD is a receipe for 12's. Read up on it. Oh... I'm sorry. Didn't mean to insult your lack of literacy with that.

Have somebody else read up on it for you and tell you about it later.

At least I would assume that you can't read, otherwise you would have figured out that I'm not arguing having to pay. Unlike you, I niether have unlimited time to contemplate whether the dirt on the ground outside my house is smarter than me, nor look up every Oklahoma law and post it for you.
Old 12-12-2001, 10:03 PM   #37
zepherman
Registered Member

Guess not.

Unit, you are so damn funny.

12.9 @ 108
Old 12-12-2001, 10:39 PM   #38
6T9PONY
All about the Windsor.

Man Unit.....you are MEAN!!!!! But I do have to agree with Zeph and say you're funny....although I feel sorry for 1Bad89 because you're so damn harsh!!!!!
6T9PONY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2001, 12:01 AM   #39
1BAD89
Tubbed and Juiced

Quote:
Dude, just cause you can't drive a stick doesn't mean other people can't. Gears, suspension, stock engine and SD is a receipe for 12's. Read up on it. Oh... I'm sorry. Didn't mean to insult your lack of literacy with that.
I can drive a stick, probaly better than you can, but no need to argue that. And you don't have gears, or suspension mod's. Second, you've NEVER been to a track before. It's pretty much this, your the LIL guy that always talks the talk, but can't walk the walk. You've never raced at a track, but yet you can run 13's??? Your just like all the other people that have never raced at the track, you "think" your fast, but your not..... You think your billy bad *** going on your beat up roads and max'ing out the G-Tech at a blistering 14.2! And then come on here and say you can pull off some low 13's w/ slicks? Your the biggest sh!t talker on here, but that is about it.

Quote:
Unlike you, I niether have unlimited time to contemplate whether the dirt on the ground outside my house is smarter than me, nor look up every Oklahoma law and post it for you.
Ok, I read what you saying and I wonder if your 8 years old? Yea that is it, your right, I sit here and contemplate whether the dirt on the ground outside my house is smarter than me...WTF, how old are you again? And didn't you look up the Oklahoma laws? LOL. Sounds like I'm not the one with unlimited time.
Old 12-13-2001, 12:03 AM   #40
Mustangbelle306
Yay for Chickys

Oh goody its day care time in the Blue Oval Lounge. Grow the **** up already. This is about a ticket, and its been over for a while. Someone PLEASE close this thread already.