MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 05-20-2005, 10:04 PM   #1
z3beemer
Registered Member

Angry Flaming River is Anti Gun

In addition to my passion for Mustangs, my other passion is for firearms. I had been planning on purchasing a rack and pinion kit for my 69 Mustang and had planned on buying one from Flaming River. But before I laid out nearly $2000 for one I want to see more than a picture. I visted their store in Berea, Ohio. You can imagin my surprise when I saw they had a sign posted on the front door prohibiting legally "licensed to carry" individuals from the store. Most people in Ohio displaying this sign are anti gun and are trying to prevent individual legally "licensed to carry" a concealed firearm from exercising their rights. With this in mind I will not be purchasing their products and hope many other car / gun owners will do the same. Write them and tell your friends about this ... maybe we can change their minds. I won't buy my car parts from anti gun manufactures and I would't buy my guns from any anti muscle car (too much pollution, too much fuel, too much power, etc) gun manufacturer. Please pass this on!:
z3beemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 10:12 PM   #2
RBatson
Registered Member

Default Re: Flaming River is Anti Gun

Idiots! That's just bad business.
Old 05-21-2005, 03:25 AM   #3
Capri306

Just to play devil's advocate, let me ask this: is it possible their insurance company requires them to display the sign? Just a thought.

Other than that, how can you be a liberal tree-huggin' anti-gun hippie, and still make products for high performance cars? That's like owning Exxon-Mobil stock and being an activist in GreenPeace.

What I would personally like to see is a picture of the place, with the sign clearly shown. It's not that I don't believe you, but I want to see it for myself (where it is, etc.).

1979 Mercury Capri
1987 5.0L Mustang LX Notchback
1993 5.8L Eddie Bauer Bronco

Last edited by Capri306; 05-21-2005 at 03:45 AM..
Capri306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005, 10:44 AM   #4
Unit 5302
Registered Member

It's a standard practice in Minnesota where we recently had an updated law that allows businesses to display a sign to prevent people from carrying concealed weapons into their establishments. There are several at the entrances to my work.

It's pretty simple. Do you want people toting concealed weapons in your store? As Capri pointed out, definitely an insurance risk.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005, 01:39 PM   #5
Ieatcamaros
Domestic Rice really sucks!

I am with Unit and Capri on this one. I think it's more of an insurance thing. I am a gun owner and lover myself and I understand your point. I also know of some individuals in KY who have their license to carry a concealed weapon that do not need those licenses. This isn't going to stop me from buying from flaming river.
Old 05-21-2005, 08:31 PM   #6
CSJ3 notchback
Tzreikno

Rather than worry about a companies opinion on something that has nothing to do with their product or just the fact that they don't want people carrying guns into their store for liability(what reason would you need to anyway??? Your going in to buy a car part and I doubt you'd get into a situation where you would NEED to pull a gun on someone), just think about wether or not they're making the best part for your application and if they are then buy it and quit looking to start a problem over nothing. While your at it you better ask anyone your possibly thinking buying something from or visiting in the future if they will allow you to carry a gun into their residence, wether it be a grocery store, doctors office, perhaps even a school if you have any kids, you never know what kind of problems you'll run into picking them up, you may need to shoot someone. I don't see anything wrong with concealed carry permits, actually I plan applying for one in the near future for hunting however I wouldn't cry like a little girl if someone told me I couln't carry a gun at their store/house.
CSJ3 notchback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 04:41 PM   #7
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

Smile Re: Flaming River is Anti Gun

This thread demonstrates that we can all take our personal political and cultural positions and apply them to any situation as some sort of litmus test as to whether or not we should be offended about something or other, even if it has no actual relevance to anything.

I am not a gun owner but I am a firm believer in the Second Amendment and oppose any weakening of that constitutional right. However, a place of buiness requesting that it's customers not carry firearms - concealed or otherwise, I would think - into it's establishment hardly morphs the owners of the business into anti-gun zealots clamoring to strip us of our constitutional right to own and bear arms. That's an over-reaction - and quite unconvincing.

I am a political conservative who realizes that many of the owners of the places I do business with are often likely to be 180 degrees opposite of my political beliefs and some no doubt hate President Bush's guts. So what? If some CEO or corporation owner or even the guy who runs the local pizza place I eat at happens to be a political liberal who thinks Hillary Clinton should be granted the presidency by acclamation in 2008....I don't care! Yes, I would strongly disagree with them and I wish they were all hardcore political conservatives but I cannot run my economic life based on what other people's politics may be - and I have no intention of trying.

We are all free to spend our hard-earned money where we wish and if someone wants to 'boycott' a parts dealer because he asks that you not carry a weapon into his store, well, that is your choice to make but I see it as an absurd overreaction. The company won't know you didn't buy their product(s) and even if they did, won't care much, I can assure you.

Frankly, if this really was an insurance issue, your refusal to do business with Flaming River is akin to refusing to do business with a gas station that won't let you smoke while filling your tank with high-test. In short: ridiculous and short-sighted.
Old 05-22-2005, 05:04 PM   #8
RBatson
Registered Member

Maybe I'm the only one reading this right or maybe I'm the only one reading this wrong but, the way I read it, the sign says "licensed to carry" individuals are prohibited from the store. The sign doesn't say "Weapons prohibited" which is something entirely different. Prohibiting "licensed to carry" individuals from the store sounds like a political statement to me, which is just bad business.

Now if someone doesn't want me to carry a gun in their home/business, which is understandable, I don't have a problem with that. If they don't want me there because I exercise my constitutional rights, they won't be getting my business.
Old 05-25-2005, 11:46 AM   #9
USMC302
Registered Member

I don't think it's an over reaction, in fact I'm going to set fire to my stang tonight and and shoot the FR Rack and pinion on it with my M-16.
Old 05-25-2005, 07:15 PM   #10
HotRoddin
cranky old man

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC302
I don't think it's an over reaction, in fact I'm going to set fire to my stang tonight and and shoot the FR Rack and pinion on it with my M-16.
Jarheads, geeeze ... just put about 3 lbs of C4 on the hood and be done with it .... you know how far an M16 carries !! you could freekin hurt somebody !!

Rod
Under Construction: 64 Falcon 372 cu in. stroker 1:72 rod ratio 6.250" rods (long rod), Comp Cams XE274 230/236 520/526 @ .050, Scorpion Rollers, Roush 200 irons, 10:1 Keith Blacks, Hedman long tubes, 750 Holley DP, Edelbrock Victor Jr., C4 3500 stall, gears and tires to be anounced.
HotRoddin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 08:24 PM   #11
Rev
Registered Member

M-16's are just .223 Remingtons, not exactly power houses in the realm of riflery, but they do OK in military functions because they are controlable in a short range, rapid fire situation. Power is not their forte.

As for the idea of boycotting anti gun establishments: If I did that, I could never set foot in another movie theater.

Rev

O.B.C. #2

'66 coupe
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 09:06 PM   #12
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBatson
Maybe I'm the only one reading this right or maybe I'm the only one reading this wrong but, the way I read it, the sign says "licensed to carry" individuals are prohibited from the store. The sign doesn't say "Weapons prohibited" which is something entirely different. Prohibiting "licensed to carry" individuals from the store sounds like a political statement to me, which is just bad business.

Now if someone doesn't want me to carry a gun in their home/business, which is understandable, I don't have a problem with that. If they don't want me there because I exercise my constitutional rights, they won't be getting my business.
Well, let me look at that for a second. If you're not licensed to carry, you can't legally carry a weapon so you're breaking the law before you even get to the store's parking lot. I guess technically, they should indicate they ban all firearms from their store, but if the person is already breaking the law by carrying in the first place, I'm not sure they're going to follow the store's personal request.

If this is an instance of the store enforcing their right to refuse customers simply based on if they are licensed to carry, then yes, I would quit doing business with them as it's a ridiculous overextension of their personal political beliefs hollywood style.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 06:22 AM   #13
USMC302
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev
M-16's are just .223 Remingtons, not exactly power houses in the realm of riflery, but they do OK in military functions because they are controlable in a short range, rapid fire situation. Power is not their forte.
Rev
What was I thinking. I'll go get the .50cal.
The rifle (M16A2) has a maximum effective range of 880m against area targets and maximum range of 3600m, not too short ranged in my opinion. Especially if we are fighting against Talaban with AK47's. (150-200m)

On second thought, I'll go get the stinger. Thanks REV.
Old 05-27-2005, 12:34 PM   #14
Rev
Registered Member

If one gets hit with a 55 gr. .223 fmj at 880M, he might say ouch, but not too much more, unless he got it in the eye. I could look up the kinetic energy at that that range, but it wouldn't be much. The mid range trajectory for that round at that range would be at least several feet.

Rev

O.B.C. #2

'66 coupe
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2005, 08:40 AM   #15
RBatson
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev
As for the idea of boycotting anti gun establishments: If I did that, I could never set foot in another movie theater.

Rev
WOW! Remarkable comment! Yet there are folks that won't listen to or buy a cd by the Dixie Chicks because of them making a political comment. This gives me something to think about.
RBatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 12:53 PM   #16
USMC302
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev
If one gets hit with a 55 gr. .223 fmj at 880M, he might say ouch, but not too much more, unless he got it in the eye. I could look up the kinetic energy at that that range, but it wouldn't be much. The mid range trajectory for that round at that range would be at least several feet.

Rev
Your right, we should just stop using the weapons period and go home. They would probably be in more danger from a swarm of honey bees. What was I thinking?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: