MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-06-2001, 09:27 PM   #1
crewzin
Registered Member

Angry Flaming river( Flaming temper)

I'm putting in a new 347 and k-member front end and having trouble with the Flaming River steering shaft against the headers. The headers are 1 3/4 long tubes and the shaft is hitting one of the tubes just enough for it not to be acceptable. Ive tried moving the motor left and right and up/down. Has anyone had this trouble and how to fix. Thanks!!
crewzin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2001, 11:14 PM   #2
Stang Runner
Registered Member

NO I did not have that but I dont have long tubes. But the shaft works Like crap. A bit lose no matter what I do.

------------------
1988 LX 5.0
Drivetrain: 2.73 Stock Gears, World Class T-5, Lakewood Bellhousing, Summit Adjustable Cluch Quadrant & Cable, Alumminum Driveshaft, Flaming River Manual Steering Rack
Suspension: MAC Control Arms,Maximum Motorsports Front Grip Package, H&R Sport Spings, Bilstein Shocks
Engine: Steal Mounts, Ram air, K&N, Under Drive Pulles
Exhaust: 1 5/8 Un-Equal Length Mac Headers, X-pipe W\cats, Edelbrock cat\back

Stang Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2001, 03:37 AM   #3
84stangLX

I was considering getting the flaming river manual rack. I guess i'm guessing again on this one. Would you guys recommend just getting a stock manual rack from an earlier mustang? Sorry i don't have a response for you crewzin, all i can say is I've heard of people taking long sockets and putting smooth dimples in headers for clearance before by smacking the side of the socket with a hammer and putting a relatively smooth dimple in the pipe...but that's a last resort kinda thing.

------------------
'84 Mustang 5.0 LX
My car
Old 06-07-2001, 05:14 AM   #4
WADS56
gear banger

I got the flaming river shaft a couple of years ago when I bought there steering shaft. It would not even come close to working. I bought the JRB steering shaft from "modern mustang.com" and it fits with my 1 3/4 long tubes.

------------------
347 W/ A-trim 6#'s, Canfield heads, out of the box Systemax II intake, solid roller cam. 11.1 @123mph 1.46 60FT

93lx 5.0 daily driver
MY CAR http://www.mustangworks.com/cgi-bin/...splay.cgi?1288
WADS56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2001, 08:47 PM   #5
crewzin
Registered Member

Well thank god for my pops. My old man is a machinist with a McGyver mind for fixin my screw ups. He's also responsible for me being a nut for anything with a motor. I figured out that if I had a longer shaft (steering that is) it would work just right. The Flaming River unit is too short. So my old man made me a new one thats longer and slimmer. Mucho betta!
crewzin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2001, 02:33 PM   #6
84stangLX

I just saw a Granatelli steering shaft that is supposed to clear long tube headers, i think it is a solid steering shaft for manual racks and there's also one for power steering racks...I saw it in my next generation mustangs catalog. If you have adobe acrobat, you can read it here: http://www.nextgenparts.com/mustangc...spension_a.pdf and it's on the top left of page 8. you can also go to: http://www.nextgenparts.com/mustangc...tangdirect.htm and they have a download of acrobat for free.
It's part #MSS79 and it's $140

------------------
'84 Mustang 5.0 LX
My car
Old 06-11-2001, 06:42 PM   #7
DirtKing
Registered Member

i bought one years ago and it works awesome. nice clearance too.

------------------
88LX notch, Speedpro EFI Procharged!
DirtKing is offline   Reply With Quote