MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-20-2002, 09:19 AM   #1
OnMy3rdStang
Registered Member

Exclamation Ford Cancels Terminator!???

Hey check this out guys!

Found it on BONforums.com

Terminator Mustang

I knew ford would have to hold up on the terminator but it still is comming out as a Cobra special

Theres pics on there too

Last edited by OnMy3rdStang; 01-20-2002 at 09:26 AM..
OnMy3rdStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2002, 09:40 AM   #2
srv1
Get down.....

Default Terminator...TERMINATED!

yeah the 4.6 DOHC is probably going too. hope not. but they said they would replace it with a 5.4 i dont see any harm in that. i wonder if 4.6 and 5.4 heads swap? i am not educated yet on the performacne of the mod motors. anyone know?
Old 01-20-2002, 09:49 AM   #3
tireburner163
It's a lot like a race car

Will it still have 400+ supercharged ponys like the terminator did??? "Cobra Special" , jezz could they think of a more dorky name.

1998 HD Electra Elide
tireburner163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2002, 09:52 AM   #4
Crazy Horse GT
Registered Member

srv1 dont know alot yet but my 4.6 is a fast little b---h for a stock engine, i raced my son in laws 5.4 triton but he was in a 4 door f-150 i beat him but i drove a van with the 5.4 that thing screamed it is one strong engine,imo i think it would smoke a 350 chebbie stock vs stock ,but you know what they say about opinions

04 sonic blue v - six my beater
89 rs camaro iroc turbo hood, other stuff, my wifes ride
84 lx stang cammed up 289 hi po, etc
65 falcon, maybe by the year 2020.

black 00gt, gone but never forgotten.

R H C- member # 1
o.b.c. da prez- member # 1 if your under 40 dont ask.
goodbye for now odie,r.i.p. 11-27-03
Crazy Horse GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2002, 09:54 AM   #5
1BAD89
Tubbed and Juiced

Thumbs down

I heard they are only going to make around 1000, and they said MSRP $35,000, so I say the price people will pay(that can actually get their hands on one) will be $40,000. Thumbs Down.
1BAD89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2002, 10:00 AM   #6
1BAD89
Tubbed and Juiced

Hey WTF Marty my post was sooo before yours!
J/k I'm not mad, but still....
1BAD89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2002, 10:03 AM   #7
OnMy3rdStang
Registered Member

Ford said that they thought the name Terminator was to violent so they changed it. I hope they dont stay with the name Cobra Special, Hehehe.
Old 01-21-2002, 01:17 AM   #8
stanger8172
Registered Member

The name Cobra Special does sound gay. It kinda sounds like something you might order at a Chilean diner..."I'll have the cobra special on rye please". I don't know, Ford seriously can't be letting THAT name stick!
'91 LX convertible , T-5, Centerforce Dual Friction, MSD Blaster Coil, FR 9MM wires, 13* timing, 1.6rr, ported/polished/milled stock heads, 1.94/1.60 stainless valves, March Performance Pulleys, K&N panel, 1"spacer, BBK shorties, 2 1/2" off road H, Summit 2 1/2" catback
stanger8172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2002, 03:20 AM   #9
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Thumbs down

Sounds like they may have finally seriously considered throwing project engine 199x into a car. It was originally toyed with for use in the King Cobra concept years ago.

As I've posted before, I have my doubts that the concept will even see production. Ford's current philosophy seems to be get rid of horsepower and non conforming automobiles.

One of Ford's executives said the high performance auto market wasn't part of Ford's plans because it hurt the brand names popularity with the mainstream public. The use of a V-8 in the Mustang was questioned because it was unnecessary under this idea. It was also said the name ZX2 was unfortunate, but a sporty name was necessary to sell that car. Ford has had a notorious late history of not backing their performance market cars.

Quite frankly, I'm not much of a Ford nut anymore. More like a Mustang nut. Some things that have me down are the Firestone tire incident, the Explorer assembly line deal, the recall's on the Focus, the reliability problems with the world "mondeo" platform cars, the Tempo, the poor backing of other cool cars they made, and the killing of performance oriented cars such as the SHO, Probe GT, and Thunderbird S/C etc. All in all, I'd have to say Ford has been a pretty shitty company to buy from in general for the last 10 years.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2002, 03:44 AM   #10
mustangman65_79
My poor 79 RIP

Boy oh boy are u asking for it Unit 5302! I think someone's going to get steamed at u. Me on the other hand, stay with the classics.
'94 Lightning
'96 Trans am
mustangman65_79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2002, 03:55 AM   #11
tireburner163
It's a lot like a race car

Quote:
Originally posted by mustangman65_79
Boy oh boy are u asking for it Unit 5302! I think someone's going to get steamed at u.
Why? I think he's right.

1998 HD Electra Elide
tireburner163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2002, 06:28 AM   #12
Unit 5302
Registered Member

If anybody wants to disagree with me thinking

Knowing the Firestone tires were delaminating for years and not forcing the recall to keep Firestone happy was a let down

Then releasing the new Explorer without the basic quality control to check the damn assembly lines for correct sizing so it wouldn't cut up the new tires

Having tons of recalls on the Focus has been depressing

The Tempo was a bad car

The Contour/Mystic's had reliability issues

The Probe GT, Thunderbird S/C, Taurus SHO were cool performance cars that Ford killed.

The Mark VIII, Cougar S, all the Mustang's, were just a couple more cars that Ford didn't invest any money into to change their reputation or add expected performance.

Adding in the fact that they knew about possible problems with the ignition modules, ignition switches, faulty fuel pump wiring, the recall of the Expeditions and F-150 for the faulty front end welding, the crank problems with the 5.4L, and other significant recalls/issues leads to painting a pretty shitty picture of a company as far as overall quality and care is concerned.

I for one, am ashamed of Ford's apparent inability to produce quality cars, instead focusing on providing mass sales to fleet rental services. I'm just glad I like the Mustang GT, one of the cars they seem to be able to produce with a little quality and performance.

That being said, Chrysler and GM are still worse. Honda's and the Toyota's have their issues big time as well, but you don't hear about them quite as much since the mainstream media doesn't go nuts on them. It's just old watching a company knowingly put out junk, like what Ford has done time and again over the last 10 years (when the domestics are supposed to be getting better).
Old 01-21-2002, 07:30 AM   #13
1969Mach1
HEY I CAN SET A NAME NOW!

Woh' Unit knows his stuff, but makes excellent points. I'm behind you 110%! I don't know what market Ford is trying to satisfy but I don't think it's working very well.

As for the 'Cobra Special' they are going to have to think of something better then that.

1979 Mustang Indianapolis 500 Pace Car **For Sale - Email me for Info**
302-2V, 3-Speed Auto
One of 2,106 made
One of 405 sent to Canada.
Yes those are caution lights, and No you can't pass me when there on.

Ricer Hater's Club - Member #4
1969Mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2002, 07:33 AM   #14
mustangman65_79
My poor 79 RIP

I was just saying that there are ppl here who like nothing but the new fords and I'm sure one of them will speak up. I agree with u. Thats why I only buy Fords under '90. The only new Ford I would ever own whould be the new superduty F-250 Diesel Supercab. I really want it. But it's a $40,000 truck.
'94 Lightning
'96 Trans am
mustangman65_79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2002, 03:00 PM   #15
StangFlyer
Founder

Nothing there was really any big news or earth shattering revolation. It's been floating around for a while within the Ford rumor mill that the "Terminator" name was in danger due to legal, social, and image considerations. Personally I think it's being a bit anal, even though I actually do understand why.

The Terminator name was great, and Mustang Special just sounds lame. If the original name had to go, at least they could have come up with something better than that. Oh well... If I had one I'd have a "Terminator" badge made and put it on there myself. Then I'd also have a Terminator front window decal made too and put it on. I'd just make it a terminator named Mustang still myself. :-p

As for the car actually being a 2003 model, that was the information I had always been given.
Media Center Gallery - View my member photos
StangFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2002, 03:09 PM   #16
ghostfacedriver
Registered Member

Default when this supposed to come out now

Anyone have any guesses when this "Cobra Special" will come out now? like around what month, year? I really think the Terminator was such a better name for the car.
ghostfacedriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2002, 03:30 PM   #17
Unit 5302
Registered Member

I wish to god it wasn't true. I have bled Ford blue since I was the littlist of kids.

I was hoping the world platform cars would give Ford the quality reputation that I held them to. I was hoping they would support the 350hp 4.6L SOHC 1994 Mustang GT that was inevitable as of 1992. I was also hoping that Ford would be exhonerated in the Firestone tire incident. Instead Ford definately shared in the responsibility. Knowing they were putting unsafe vehicles out on the roads, even under normal driving circumstances

There is only one name that I would like to see the Terminator replaced with for that car. King Cobra. It's a sweet name, and the Terminator is basically the King Cobra concept car of a few years back.
Old 01-22-2002, 12:58 AM   #18
Red514LX
Registered Member

Personally, I'm glad that Ford is changing the name. The word "terminator" does not exactly bring the best images to mind. It far too "crude" of a word if you will for the cobra's personality. "Cobra Special" is more along the lines with what the cobra is all about -- an evolutionary experiment to turn the standard mustang into a true sports car. Thus I think Ford/SVT made a good call here.

My Rant: It's been 16 years since the fuelie 5.0 was introduced and the best Ford can offer the public is a mustang that needs a blower to make 400hp?!?!?! (excluding the cobra R which, of course, was rediculously overpriced)

The Solution: More cubic inches. I feel that if the 5.4L DOHC is too big for the mustang engine bay then the engineers need to make the engine bay larger!
Red514LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2002, 08:05 AM   #19
OnMy3rdStang
Registered Member

Commenting on Unit's reply:I think that ford should bring a new version of the Taurus SHO using the new body style. With a spoiler, dual exhaust etc.

I love the SHO's Ford should bring them back
Old 01-22-2002, 08:21 AM   #20
Mustangbelle306
Yay for Chickys

A true Ford fan is not going to get all teary eyed because Unit (and rightfully so, like many of us) has a problem with the underpowered and unchecked new lineup. Take it from someone who spent 2 years of their life in Ford service shops...quality is down...WAY DOWN . Hello....its capitalism...if you can't produce a quality product, someone else will...we don't want to see Ford eventually go under THANKS TO MR. NASSER that bumbling idiot thank goodness he's history

What a retarded reason to change a car's name...like when they renamed the Washington Bullets...

Although I do understand the point that the name sounds a little harsh for a top o' the line Cobra, the people that buy the "special" probably ARE looking for that brute power edge, or they would just buy the regular Cobra with all the same amenities.
Mustangbelle306 is offline   Reply With Quote