MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-03-2002, 01:34 PM   #1
78stangII
Registered Member

Question Ford Parts

Hello,

Does anyone know where or how to find codes for FORD PARTS? Like engine codes or transmission codes? I have a transmission code ( FORD E0AP-7006-CA )

Manifold number D9DE-8245-CB, and under my valve cover on the heads 3 WC FORD 78 8B21
P

Also on the manifold we know it's a windsor but not sure what year or what car it's from? What we want to find out is what year and car the transmission and engine is from? Please HELP!!! Thanx!!

Shelly
78stangII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2002, 03:21 PM   #2
pntrbil
Registered Member

It's not perfect but you can get an idea from the part numbers. The 1st letter indicates the decade. C is 60's, D is 70's, and so on. The 2nd number is the year. D9 for instance is 79. E0 is 1980. But the kicker is that only tells you when the part was relaesed to production. The same parts can appear in later years and they sure didn't give everything a new part number every year!

Gets ya in the neighborhood tho.
pntrbil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2002, 09:55 PM   #3
78stangII
Registered Member

Default thanx!

Thanx for the help! We also need help to find out what car this transmission came out of? Any info. Or what cars had these engines or transmissions? We are trying to put ours into a 78 mustang II, making process but still need a little help!
Old 01-10-2002, 10:29 PM   #4
CobraII76
Registered Member

The intake is 69 302. I can't seem to find the trans number anywhere. Can you tell me if it's stick or auto it is however 1980. in either case you will need the flexplate or flywheel from said trans.Being an 80 if auto it's a C-4 or C-5 if stick it's an SROD if it's stick check to see if it's aluminum case or iron. Iron would be a truck alum would be capri mustang etc.
Installing into the II. the auto is pretty straight forward bolt it in and add the Mustang II kick down the only problem you could run into is header the Mustang II used a smal bellhousing where everything else used a bigger bell. the auto shifter from the II will hook to either trans. If it's SROD 4 speed you will need the block plate the trans mount and your stock driveshaft. you will have to notch the floor for shifter clearnce and bend the top of the shifter backwards so you don't hit the dash when shiting 1st 4th. or find the Mustang II shifter it will swap into the SROD. Using headers will also cause an interence problem around the bellhousing nothing a hammer and big socket won't fix. The clutch cable to the relase bar will need to be modified to fit the II cable. I welded mine shut and redrilled it the right size. It uses a ball end. If the car was auto and your going stick you will of course need the clutch pedal and adjustment sleeve from the firewall. there is a punch plug there.
Dave
Old 01-11-2002, 11:21 PM   #5
78stangII
Registered Member

Smile ford parts

This transmission is an automatic, and I bought the engine and transmission as they were connected already. The engine has 5,000 miles on it, it was a rebuild. Paid 400.00 for everything was that a good buy?

Shell
Old 01-12-2002, 01:42 AM   #6
CobraII76
Registered Member

Depends on what engine it is? V6 V8 and if V8 is a damn 255? I would say 400 for engine trans and the engine has low miles and is fresh it's a good deal. I would put it all in as a unit. Some more info on the car would be great so I could steer you the right way.
as in 78 hatch or notch what engine was in it and what your putting into it.
Old 01-12-2002, 11:27 PM   #7
78stangII
Registered Member

I have a 78 mustang II coupe. It has a 4 cyl. in it right now but I'm gonna pull that engine out and drop a 351 windsor in it. That's the engine I'm asking about the 351. The transmission with this engine is OD. I wanted to see if I could find out what car this 351 came from......but so far no luck. Although you were very helpful in helping me fuigure out that this is a 1980!! Thanx! I have 302 motor mounts for it and got heavier springs. Also got a front end suspension from a 77 cobra II. It has a 3:18 rearend in it........do you think that will hold up? If you think of anything else you'd like to know please ask!

Shelly
Old 01-12-2002, 11:50 PM   #8
CobraII76
Registered Member

Ok it's a 351 you will need the mustang II specific exhaust manifolds or the 351 Hooker swap header 300.00, The trans is an overdrive unit that's why I could find no info on it I'll take another look. You will have to fabricate a plate to accept the trans mount in the right position I used a 1/4 inch plate 4 inches long bolted it back into the crossmember then drilled for the trans mount on my first AOD car. Now I have custom tubular crossmembers. Your going to have a header clearnce problem with the AOD, You won't be able to get the swap headers past the bell housing. And being a Mustang II here a few major items that were only found in the MII and thats what you have to have. Exhaust Manifolds or Headers and the Small Bellhousing it's about 2 inches narrower then standard C-4 and about 4 inches narrower then an AOD. Don't get discouraged at this point. MII 302 exhaust manifolds are cast Iron not real great for the horsepower but thats what fit. I've tried the 289 HiPo fox body shortys etc it's either Mustang II specific or custom built the engine sits to close to the frame rails. If you need the Mustang II cast iron exhaust manifolds E-Mail I have a good set that I would let go cheap if you need them. Find the rear end out of that cobra you got the front end from the 78 4 cyl had the 6.75 rear in it ingeral carrier kind weak and no gear options for it at all, You will need the 8 inch rear which I have if your ever in Michigan stop by and take one home. You will run into an air cleaner clearance problem the 351 is taller then the 302 you will have run a lower profile air cleaner or swap frame to engine mounts to 68 Falcon 302 mounts they require a 1/4 inch spacer. So other then a few MII only parts and rear end swap you have a real good combo going. That rearend will not hold up everything else will.
Old 01-13-2002, 09:15 AM   #9
Gearhead999
Registered Member

Correct me if I'm wrong. In your first post you said the intake was a 302 and the heads were 351. If that is what you have. Then the engine can't be a 351W with a 302 intake unless it has adaptor plates to allow it to fit.

1980 351W with AOD were in Lincoln T/C, Crown Vic's and Marquis. Some trucks too.

The 302 with AOD was also in same vehicles.

There is also a casting number on the block down near the starter that may help with the block ID. You can tell a 351W block from 302 by the width of the intake. Also, where the dist. goes in block is the same height as the top of the block where the front of the intake goes on the 302 and on the 351W there is about 1" difference, taller block.

Dave
1968 Cougar
2004 Thunderbird
2007 F150 Harley-Davidson, SuperCrew
1986 LTD
1997 Ranger
1992 Honda Civic
Gearhead999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2002, 08:45 PM   #10
PKRWUD

The manifold date code is 1979, not 1969. BUT, that being said, I can't find it in my books, as they list only those with the same "basic part number" (the basic part number is the 4 numbers in the middle) Ford uses for their intake manifolds: 9424. I can't find anything by Ford with the basic part number 8245.

The date code you found under the valve cover says that head was cast on February 21, 1978.

Gathering the numbers cast into the block, just above the starter would help a great deal.

Take care,
-Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2002, 12:11 PM   #11
78stangII
Registered Member

I can find the numbers when I take it apart. But there not visual without doing that. This part of the message goes to: Gearhead999.....I never said the heads were 302 and the intake was 351. The engine is clearly a 351W nothing else. I am just trying to find out the years of my parts. For eveyone Thanx for the help we have a good idea what year engine and trans. we have ....about a 79 engine and an 80 trans. and it looks like there probably out of a lincoln. We got hugger headers which will help in the fit. Does anyone have any ideas about exhaust to meet up with the headers now? Thanx!

Shell
Old 01-22-2002, 03:46 PM   #12
CobraII76
Registered Member

I'm afraid you will not get the block hugger headers into the car. The clearance issue is going to make that a hard fit you have a 1 1/2 inch space between the block and frame rail a motor mount a crossmember and a starter on the passenger side. the driver side has about 2 inches between the block and rail with a motor mount a crossmember again and the steering shaft. My Mustang II headers in with a 302 barely fit in. Good luck can't wait to hear how it goes.
Old 01-25-2002, 07:21 AM   #13
KULTULZ
Registered Member

Quote:
Does anyone know where or how to find codes for FORD PARTS?

Like engine codes or transmission codes? I have a transmission code ( FORD E0AP-7006-CA )
Where did you find this I.D. no? On a tag or the main case?

There should be an I.D. tag located on the servo (left side of case) that will give you the needed info for conversion.

Basic no. 9424 is the basic number for FORD Service Parts (Intake Manifold), while 9425 (Intake Manifold) is the basic part number for engineering and/or casting numbers.

The consumption of alcohol may make you think you have mystical Kung-** powers, resulting in getting your butt kicked...
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2002, 09:11 PM   #14
78stangII
Registered Member

I found this ID number on the main case. The headers aren't hugger headers they're shorty headers my mistake. What kind of exhaust can I use in the mustang II with that 351 engine? I'd like to go dual. Any suggestions??

Shell
Old 01-26-2002, 01:36 AM   #15
KULTULZ
Registered Member

Quote:
I found this ID number on the main case.
The number is the engineering number of the main case. The assembly part number will be on an attached metal tag.
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote