MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-10-2002, 03:13 PM   #1
fiveohpatrol
I'd rather be basketweaving

Talking Frat boy with a Stealth wants some!

There's a frat guy at my school that has a twin turbo stealth. Supposedly he has a couple cheap upgrades but I think the turbo output is stock. He says his car runs high 12's, but the only reason he says this is because there's been "the same car" in rice magazines that run those times. I said ok, mine's a low 13 second car so maybe it would be a close race. He said, no I'll probably smoke you. I just laughed and said bring it on. His roommate is a pretty good friend of mine and says that this guy shifts extrememly slow and can't launch very hard, even with the AWD (these are AWD arent they?)

I don't have my drag radials on right now because it could snow anytime soon so I'd be racing him on some 215/65 Blizzaks
(suprisingly they aren't too horrible on dry pavement)

I told him that IF he beats me then I'd fill his car up with premium and if I win then he has to say that his car got whooped by mine in the middle of one of his frat meetings. Or I said we could race for money, either way I'm up for it.

I know that Blizzaks arent exactly a good high speed tire, but I won't get over like 90-100mph for a short time.

Think I should do it?
Old 01-10-2002, 04:47 PM   #2
89 Cobra LX
Don Corlione

Sounds like fun. Since there seems to be a little side action to the race, I don't know if I would chance it without the slicks.... but then again I'm thinking the Stealth can't be that fast.

1. It's a fairly old turbo-car. That's not always a good combination. Unless there's been a lot of up-keep or it has very low miles, I doubt it runs as strong as it once did.

2. It's a Dodge turbo-powered car. The Dodge turbo's weren't exactly known for holding up.

3. Appearantly the kid can't drive for crap.

I say kick his butt and be sure to tell us about it.
5 speed 302-Cobra Intake-GT40p heads-TFS stage 1 cam-FRPP 1.6 roller rockers-3:73 gears-KYB shocks and struts-Eibach Pro-kit-HPM Mega-bite upper and lower control arms-FRPP aluminum driveshaft-16x8 Chrome Cobra Rs

R.H.C. #14
89 Cobra LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2002, 04:59 PM   #3
6T9PONY
All about the Windsor.

I'm not sure about the tires, even though you say the Blizzaks aren't bad, I'd try to get some DRs or some slicks. You really gotta bust off a good launch, just to shove in his face how much faster your car is than his! Kick his butt!!!
6T9PONY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2002, 09:09 PM   #4
JRowlette
Registered Member

Thumbs down

This is slightly ironic, but one of my fraternity brothers has a Twin Turbo Stealth (I think it's a 93 or 94 model). Anyway, last season he ran his a couple of times at the track with just the air filter removed and didn't even get a 13 second slip. I think the best he got was a 14.2. He has recently gotten slightly bigger turbos and a bigger downpipe, but he hasn't ran it since then.
Yes they are AWD, but despite that, the guy I know was only getting 2.0x 60' times.
So, if I were you, I would strap on some decent tires and whip his a**. It shouldn't be a problem if you can run low 13's, especially if he has stock turbos, 'cause they suck. Good Luck
JRowlette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2002, 09:10 PM   #5
JRowlette
Registered Member

Thumbs up

Wrong Icon. Sorry
JRowlette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2002, 09:27 PM   #6
srv1
Get down.....

fiveoh. they are AWD for the turbos.
89cobralx. its actually a mitsubishi drivetrain. like that makes a difference!!! actually the turbos on the Jap cars are better than those found on our American 2.2/2.5 crap. i drove one. you wont beat him top end, but they do run high 13's. look for a boost controller. i have seen some with a boost controler and a homemade one.
Smoke the MF!! good luck!
Old 01-10-2002, 11:29 PM   #7
fiveohpatrol
I'd rather be basketweaving

Well I do have drag radials, but they're serving basement duty for the winter and arent mounted. But I do have a couple 10" slicks mounted on 10holes that I could bolt on but its gonna be a street race and I don't wanna use slicks on the street.

How do I tell if It's got a boost controller or not? I know that they are a cheap way of upping the boost but don't know what they look like.

I'll definately post when I end up racing him. Hopefully it'll be this weekend...
to be continued
Old 01-10-2002, 11:48 PM   #8
stanger8172
Registered Member

Cheap upgrades? I dunno man.

I wouldn't take this one lightly. Throw the dr's on spank the mofo!
'91 LX convertible , T-5, Centerforce Dual Friction, MSD Blaster Coil, FR 9MM wires, 13* timing, 1.6rr, ported/polished/milled stock heads, 1.94/1.60 stainless valves, March Performance Pulleys, K&N panel, 1"spacer, BBK shorties, 2 1/2" off road H, Summit 2 1/2" catback
stanger8172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2002, 12:08 AM   #9
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Wink

Some quick math can give you an idea on your competitors capabilities. The Dodge Stealth Twin Turbo made 300hp, but they weighed in at over 4000lbs. They are extremely heavy and were good for high 13's from the factory when launched well. To launch the car well it must be revved and dumped at redline to spool the turbo's. If the turbo's are not spooled, forget about it. It's such a tank the car will pull a crappy 60ft time. If launched properly they can pull 1.6's.

That is where the true ability of the car comes in. Even with a couple minor mods it will be hard to get that car to run with you. If he doesn't launch well, even with 100hp more than stock it would be close due to excessive drivetrain power loss related to the AWD system.

Blizzak's are crappy, and you know it, lol!
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2002, 02:15 AM   #10
69fastback
IRAQ VET

Just go race and see what happens. If u kick his butt go make fun of him in fornt of all his frat boys. NO offense to anyone on here but damn I hated those guys when i was in college.
91 GT
69fastback is offline   Reply With Quote