MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-21-2001, 02:06 AM   #1
84stangLX

Post Friend bought a Jetta.....girl's car???

I have a guy friend who was looking at hondas and acuras (yuck), but decided to get a '96 Volkswagen Jetta 2.0L. It's black with black interior....but i think it's a girls car, so do most of my friends. Don't get me wrong, it's a very nice vehicle and should be dependable at least for awhile. In fact a friend's mom called it "cute". Am i wrong here, or is this a "girls car"? Just interested in what you guys/gals think.

------------------
'84 Mustang 5.0 LX
My car
Old 06-21-2001, 02:11 AM   #2
inferno
The Instigator

I agree...if he was going to get a used Jetta, he should have been sure to get the VR6. I haven't seen any fast 2.0 Jetta's.

------------------
90 Honda CRX aka Project Mongoose
Estimated Completion: ON STANDBY

84 Toyota Supra:
Japanese 6mge installed within two weeks.....
High flow cat, two chamber flowmaster, custom 2.5" piping, msd 8.5mm wires. Will have boost before 2002.
Have HKS turbo manifold for it.....

inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2001, 02:41 AM   #3
84stangLX

yeah, he says it "hauls so much @ss..." i rode in it and it was a slug, but to each his own. He owned a mid 90's civic before (4 door as well) and he started "ricing" that one out and he wants to put a big wing, clear corners, and "exhaust" (basically just a huge tip) on this. Hence the "yuck". There's nothing wrong with a nice car, but he wants to modify it CHEAPLY, which always looks like crap. I told him to leave it stock, except for maybe tinting the windows and having a nice system, maybe some tasteful rims, but he's hell bent on making it ugly...some people i don't understand.
-inferno- you're supra project looks like it's pretty cool, do you have a website or anything??

------------------
'84 Mustang 5.0 LX
My car
Old 06-21-2001, 02:12 PM   #4
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

Exclamation

In answer to your question;
yeah, I think a VW Jetta (and a VW Bug) is primarily a 'girl's car' but - so what?
If your friend likes it, let him enjoy it and if he insists on ricing it out, again, so what?
He'll have a slow, dumb-looking German car and you'll still have a fast, cool-looking American muscle car. You win.
Mr 5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2001, 02:22 PM   #5
oldman
Registered Member

My wife bought a Saturn last winter after her Explorer died a horrible death and the boys thought this was the ultimate insult. They would never be seen in that thing.

THey sure looked cute in it while their mustangs were broke down.

I've owned more Fords than I care to count and I've had my share of trouble with them but usually not until they were well over the 130,000 mile mark. THe Saturn is a nice little car and gets 37 mpg but at 20,000 miles the entire transmission/third member had to be replaced after it blew a hole in the side of the case. All under warranty but this is rediculous. We're looking for another car for her now.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2001, 05:08 PM   #6
dinomite
The Dude

VW's in general are girls cars, good thing he didn't get a "cabriolet".

As the cartalk website said "VW joined up with another company to make men's cars. That company is called Porsche."
dinomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2001, 05:39 PM   #7
Stang Runner
Registered Member

SOME OF THOSE Gulf-R are some what cool and fast. Not a girl car comes with a cool roll cage.

------------------
1988 LX 5.0 3060lbs (full Tank) 14.90@100.2 On a Gtech
Drivetrain: 2.73 Stock Gears (New Gears coming in a week), World Class T-5, Lakewood Bellhousing, Summit Adjustable Cluch Quadrant & Cable, Alumminum Driveshaft, Flaming River Manual Steering Rack
Suspension: MAC Control Arms,Maximum Motorsports Front Grip Package, H&R Sport Spings, Bilstein Shocks
Engine: Steal Mounts, Ram air, K&N, Under Drive Pulles
Exhaust: 1 5/8 Un-Equal Length Mac Headers, X-pipe W\cats, Edelbrock cat\bac

Stang Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2001, 07:55 PM   #8
Mustangbelle306
Yay for Chickys

most def a CHICK RIDE!!! bwahahahaha

I also laugh when I see "men" in girly colored neons. My buddy calls them fruits on wheels, but Mr 5.0 is right. To each his own (i.e. if a guy wants to look like a fairy let 'em HAR HAR HAR)

------------------
Elisha~5.0 HO Racing (ahem HIGH OUTPUT!)
1994 GT: Under top secret construction
Email: Belle@Mustangworks.com
AOL name: CBRBelle306
Mustangbelle306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2001, 11:50 PM   #9
Unit 5302
Registered Member

I'd roll in a Jetta. The Wolfsburg edition, or the TDI. The gearboxes are smooth, and I think they are decent looking.

I like the idea of getting 50mpg with the TDI, or some decent performance from a car that can actually haul a couple friend in the Wolfsburg edition.

Brand new they are usually under 20k.

That being said, why on Earth would you get a '96? The cars hold resale very well.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2001, 10:52 PM   #10
slider
Registered Member

I own a 94 Jetta GLS and always get compliments from girls ;p

I believe it gives me 26-28 miles per gallon and easily takes 5 ppl to an uphill.

slider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2001, 12:27 AM   #11
inferno
The Instigator

Quote:
Originally posted by 84stangLX:

-inferno- you're supra project looks like it's pretty cool, do you have a website or anything??

Nah...but it is looking like the Supra is going to be my only vehicle as I am planning on getting rid of the CRX. I have big plans for the Supra since I will no longer have the CRX.....somewhere in the 400whp range.

------------------
90 Honda CRX aka Project Mongoose
Estimated Completion: ON STANDBY

84 Toyota Supra:
Japanese 6mge installed within two weeks.....
High flow cat, two chamber flowmaster, custom 2.5" piping, msd 8.5mm wires. Will have boost before 2002.
Have HKS turbo manifold for it.....

inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2001, 02:39 AM   #12
84stangLX

lol....dinomite, i talked to him the other day (before reading your post) and he asked me what i honestly thought about his car, on it being a girls car or not. I told him that it was not particularly girly, but that at least he didn't buy a beetle or Cabriolet....man did i Laugh my @ss off when i read your post.
Mr 5 0, that's a good point as well. Taste is in the eye of the beholder i guess. If it makes him happy i guess it's tolerable as long as he doesn't start boasting he can take me with his car .
Another thing that put this car in perspective is that he's already had to take it into a shop because a few things aren't working anymore since he bought it and he had a loaner Suzuki Sidekick.....man, that Jetta is manlier than hell compared to that thing.

------------------
'84 Mustang 5.0 LX
My car
Old 07-06-2001, 03:11 AM   #13
Mach 1
Registered Member

What exactly is a "girls car" anyway? Some wimpy looking, ugly neon like thing? If so, I would say no, the Jetta isnt a bad looking car in my opinion. There are a lot more "girly" cars running around than the Jetta.

On a side note, for those who might not know or might be interested, "Cabrio" means "convertible".

------------------
1993 GT/AOD
'93 Mustang GT
Mach 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2001, 04:21 AM   #14
84stangLX

My definition of a girls car is a car that (even if nothing is inherintly wrong with it) is primarily driven by girls. The only reason i mentioned a Cabriolet is because i've never seen a guy driving one. Since my friend has bought this car i have noticed about 10 girls driving jettas and one guy (it was a VR6). Not that there's anything very wrong with these vehicles, it's just that primarily girls drive them. Most cars that can be described as "cute" by women are usually "girl's cars", this is a stereotype but for the most part it's something that most people hold against guys. He wants to "pimp it out" and likes to drive aggressively which i believe is kind of an oxymoron since it is a family oriented car, but that's just my opinion.
-on a side note-
My friend has already had problems with the tail lights failing and the right side blinker staying on, and the door locks not working.

------------------
'84 Mustang 5.0 LX
My car
Old 07-06-2001, 08:15 AM   #15
Stang Runner
Registered Member

My borther went to school with a kid that said he could wip me with his VR6. I now want to race him but I want to get a bit more power so I dont lose The kid Is VERY RICH has the loudest stereo in the city he lives by a High School and had it turned way up during a foot ball game and the Police came over a told him they were getting complants form the FootbALL Game saying they could not hear any thing but him!!!!!!! That Is loud Well He RACES on the STREET alot and Wins $$$ I dont know it what he has done to his car but it is not stock at all!!!! The Kid is LIkE Rich and HE has the house to him self alot Parents are out of the USA Most of the time.. I am trying to get his E-mail so I can Talk to him OOO He HATES MUSTANGS so I want to kill him if we Race

------------------
1988 LX 5.0 3060lbs (full Tank) 14.90@100.2 On a Gtech Drivetrain: 2.73 Stock Gears (New Gears Monday 3.55), World Class T-5, Lakewood Bellhousing, Summit Adjustable Cluch Quadrant & Cable, Alumminum Driveshaft, Flaming River Manual Steering Rack Suspension: MAC Control Arms,Maximum Motorsports Front Grip Package, H&R Sport Spings, Bilstein Shocks
Engine: Steal Mounts, Ram air, K&N, Under Drive Pulles
Exhaust: 1 5/8 Un-Equal Length Mac Headers, X-pipe W\cats, Edelbrock cat\back
Co
Stang Runner is offline   Reply With Quote