MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 07-05-2005, 08:52 AM   #1
gt-hunter
Registered Member

Default Friend is looking for a late model GT - need advice on how to help him get one

A friend of mine is looking to get a late model GT (modular 4.6)...Unfortunately I don't know much about prices/reliability or best places to find good deals. We're in South Florida so if you guys know any good dealers (not crooks) or know of someone selling theirs please either PM or email me so I can help him...

He's internet savy just not car savy so he probabbly won't come on the site and since I've been here for a while I figured I could just be the middle man.

Any advice would be appreciated...

Thanks,
Mike

Gone:
-------------------------------------
2002 Millenium Yellow Z06 w/mod red
1999 Z28 M6 Arctic White,
gt-hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 06:55 PM   #2
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Default Re: Friend is looking for a late model GT - need advice on how to help him get one

I was super unimpressed with my '01 and '02 GT's. Both were big pieces of junk. The '02 had tons of problems, and I bought it brand new so I know nobody messed it up before I got it.

Random no-start condition.
Random chugging and smoking on start up.
Mach 460 stereo failure.
TR-3650 manual piece of shit failure at 17k the 3rd gear syncros were fried!!!!! (keep in mind, I had two 5.0GTs that I beat the hell out of that never gave me this many problems, and each had over 130k on them, the '01 and '02 I absolutely babied because I had no faith in them)
Power window motor failure.

BTW, I sold the car with 18k on it. Lost my ass on the car, but considering how many problems I was having with it, and how much money it was costing me, I never really had any regrets.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 10:15 AM   #3
gt-hunter
Registered Member

Default Re: Friend is looking for a late model GT - need advice on how to help him get one

So what year would you recommend he get?

He's the type of person that will not mod the vehicle from it's stock condition (except for maybe an air filter and such...you know...the easiest mods)...

He just likes the look and sound of the Mustang...

Given the purpose for getting it I recommended that he get an Ext-Warranty on whichever one he gets (if It's out of the Manufacturer's warranty) but I'm afraid to tell him to get an older one because he may not be able to get an Ext-Warr on it.

Thanks,
Mike

Gone:
2002 Millenium Yellow Z06 w/mod red
1999 Z28 M6 Arctic White,
gt-hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 11:49 AM   #4
danistanggt
Registered Member

if it were me, i'd go for 94-95 5.0. but then he's not me. i used to sell car parts, and believe me the 4.6 is decent...if you can keep the intake from cracking.. but he should do some serious soul searching b-4 he gets a 4.6. i hope i didn't offend anyone criticizing the 4.6, but 5.0 is a much more reliable motor and parts are plentiful.:
danistanggt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 05:39 PM   #5
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Mach 1 with the auto tranny. Way more performance, better sound, nicer car, better engine, and a better tranny.

Since he's not going to mod it, he might be disappointed with the 94-98 GT performance, especially the 96-98s, which are 15 sec cars from the factory. Extended warranties are also not really an option on these older cars.

Also, I thought my 01-02 GTs sounded more like a school bus at lower rpms, finally really making sweet music right at redline.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 10:53 PM   #6
chevyboy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by danistanggt
if it were me, i'd go for 94-95 5.0. but then he's not me. i used to sell car parts, and believe me the 4.6 is decent...if you can keep the intake from cracking.. but he should do some serious soul searching b-4 he gets a 4.6. i hope i didn't offend anyone criticizing the 4.6, but 5.0 is a much more reliable motor and parts are plentiful.:
all ford motors are junk 5.$hit and 4.trash can't hold a monkeys nut to the chevy LS1
chevyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 10:58 PM   #7
chevyboy
Banned

[QUOTE=danistanggt]if it were me, i'd go for 94-95 5.0. but then he's not me. i used to sell car parts, and believe me the 4.6 is decent...if you can keep the intake from cracking.. but he should do some serious soul searching b-4 he gets a 4.6. i hope i didn't offend anyone criticizing the 4.6, but 5.0 is a much more reliable motor and parts are plentiful.:[/Qghff]
gm parts are far more reliable than that Furd $hit, ive never heard of an intake cracking....... but then again i am not an expert on ford trash
chevyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 12:31 AM   #8
Orange97GTVert
Mustang Fanatic

I have a 97 GT which I bought in 98 with 8400 miles on it. It now has 68K. The ONLY problem I have ever encountered was the intake cracked. I bought an intake from Ford and repaired it in an afternoon. Ford has now agreed to reimburse owners for this repair, too bad I don't have the receipt for the intake. Oh well.

We have an 03 GT with 34K miles, no problems yet. Also have an 02 V6 Coupe, but your friend is looking for a GT. I would buy another Mustang GT before I would buy any other car.

For any car out there there are some problems, but I have been extremely impressed with the Mustangs. For the money, there is no other car that is as dependable or has the performance potential out ther, foreign or domestic.

1997 Mustang GT Convertible, 4.6L Auto, Autumn Orange w/Saddle Tan Top & Leather Interior, Styling Bar, 17 X 9 Polished Cobra R's on Nitto NT 555's, Ford Racing Bullitt Suspension package, Mac CAI, Steeda UDP's, Flowmaster 40 Series Catback, SCT X-Calibrator II, Zaino Shine, 7 time Show Winner, driven daily
Orange97GTVert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 07:21 AM   #9
danistanggt
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyboy
all ford motors are junk 5.$hit and 4.trash can't hold a monkeys nut to the chevy LS1

yeah i am a chevy nut...but i wouldn't have the gen 2 or 3... 5.7.... when your water pump goes out you re out about 650. for a new distributor, cause it will go every time the water pump goes out.
danistanggt is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: