View Single Post
Old 05-25-2003, 04:57 PM   #1
silver_pilate
DURKA DURKA!!

Default Fuel Problems...I think

I've been having an intermittant dying problem with my 91 GT, and I just pulled the codes on my car. Here's what I came up with:

Hard codes: -85 : canister purge solenoid circuit failure (had that
one for a while)

Stored codes: -87 : fuel pump primary circuit fault
-96 : fuel pump secondary circuit fault / high speed
fuel pump relay open

Anyone have an idea what this translates to? A buddy had the same codes come up and said that his EFI book talked about the code 96 referring to a secondary relay which increases voltage to the pump under loads. Mustangs only have one relay (under the seat) and don't use a secondary relay.

Could the relay cutting out when it gets hot cause both of the stored codes?

Here's the history:

It's happened 4 times both before and after I changed fuel pumps (from stock to a 190lph). It happens after extended drives, usually at least 60 minutes or so. Amount of fuel in the tank doesn't make a difference that I can tell.

I will drive the car for a while on the highway (as I said, usually about an hour) and then the car will stumble very briefly and/or just cut off (has always happend after I slow down and come to idle speeds or get in traffic). Usually, you can then start it and make it run for a block or two, the engine stumbling the whole while. Then it dies for good. It will usually start, but won't stay running more than 5-10 seconds. After letting the car cool off for 45 minutes to a couple of hours, it will start right up and run just fine.

So, here's what I was thinking:

-Possibly the TFI module is crapping out on me. It's the original unit with 140,000 or so miles on it.

-Also, could possibly be the fuel pump relay getting hot and flickering out on me (possibly confirmed with the above codes)

-Also could be the fuel pump overheating and crapping out on me.

I've hooked up a fuel pressure guage to see what the pressure's doing when it cuts out. Fuel pressure looks fine at 37-38 psi, dorpping a little with light throttle blips. So far, after dogging the crap out of my car, I haven't been able to make the thing die. I figgured if fuel pressure looked ok, I would just replace the module, and if fuel pressure dropped, I would replace the relay and see if it cured the problem. I've got both parts in the tool box in my car so I can do the repair immediately.

Anyway, does anyone have any thoughts? I'm going to go ahead and replace the TFI module and keep the original as a spare, but I don't want to replace the module until I'm sure it's the problem (i.e. it dies, I repalce the module immediately and it runs fine). I just want to narrow it down and make sure I have the right problem.

Thanks for any ideas!

--nathan
'91 GT, Coast 347, 9.5:1 compression, full intake, Wolverine 1087 cam, exhaust, Keith Craft ported Windsor Jr. Irons (235 cfm intake, 195 cfm exhaust), AOD, PI 3500 converter, Lentech valve body, 3.73's (4.10's in the works), and Yokohama ES100's out back.

Daily Car: '04 Infiniti G35 Sedan 6MT
silver_pilate is offline   Reply With Quote