MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 09-07-2001, 12:53 PM   #1
McKVette
Registered Member

Post My Buddy Just Bought A 97 Cobra...Needs some advice

Hey everyone,

New to your forum...as you can see im a vette guy...I had a few 5.0's before i switched over but thats another story

Anyway a buddy of mine just bought a 97 cobra and asked me if i could get some info..

Any advice on some mods would be great

I figured best thing to do would be to start out with an off road h pipe, and some decent exhaust (Borla or Flows) and then go from there...

Is there any "free" horsepower that can be free'd up ? I remember the 5.0's had the air intake silencer that could be yanked out..

Thanks again
And save your chevy flames :P j/k

-jon

------------------
1994 Black/Black 6speed, PowerEffects Exhaust, K&N OpenAir, AirFoil more to come...
13.037 @ 109.16 sooo close to 12's
13.055 @ 109.64 w/2.153 60foot best mph run..
McKVette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2001, 06:52 PM   #2
todd95GT
Registered Member

Thumbs up

No flames will be coming from me-I'm a former Chevelle and Camaro owner and come from a family of Corvette owners. I love them all. Great picture of your car with the flames in the tire tracks, what did you use to make that picture?
Your buddy's car needs gears, headers-H or X pipe-cat-back system, pulleys. Those I think are the best starters. I just did the full exhaust (sans headers for now), pulleys, throttle body swap-gears are in two weeks. I think these would be the best immediate improvement until he decides to get into swapping intakes and so forth.

------------------
Todd
1995GT Cobra look-alike
pulleys; Flowmaster cat-back; 65mm TB; Cobra R's, front, and wing; FMS aluminum driveshaft, Mac off-road H pipe
e-mail: todd5874@bellsouth.net
todd95GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2001, 10:48 PM   #3
98SNAKE
Registered Member

Wink

The exhaust is a good place to start, I prefer the X pipe over the H pipe simply because with the X pipe you make more horsepower at the top end. With the H pipe you gain more tourqe at the low end. And with the Cobras you can put a 4.10 or even better a 4.30 rear end gear to make up for the less amount of tourqe you get from the X.

I suggest a cold air kit with a k&n air filter, along with the steeda timing adjuster, pulleys, many people use the steeda pulleys because the crank pulley uses it's own dampner for saftey reasons.

Hope I helped, Will

------------------
98Cobra-3.73,Offroad
Xpipe,Flowmasters,Mac Cold air,SteedaTiming Adjuster17deg,Autometer Shiftlight,NittoDragRadials
98SNAKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2001, 03:50 PM   #4
McKVette
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by todd95GT:
No flames will be coming from me-I'm a former Chevelle and Camaro owner and come from a family of Corvette owners. I love them all. Great picture of your car with the flames in the tire tracks, what did you use to make that picture?
Your buddy's car needs gears, headers-H or X pipe-cat-back system, pulleys. Those I think are the best starters. I just did the full exhaust (sans headers for now), pulleys, throttle body swap-gears are in two weeks. I think these would be the best immediate improvement until he decides to get into swapping intakes and so forth.

Thanks i used Photoshop 6.0

I will pass the info along

Also..i found another cool forum www.corral.net
McKVette is offline   Reply With Quote