MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 08-30-2001, 01:18 AM   #1
zepherman
Registered Member

Question Good Buy or not, 90 gt $3000

Im thinking of buying a 90 GT for $3000. It has leather (front seats are screwed up but the back one is ok) moon roof, Saleen wing, new paint (3 months old, but not a very good job) exhaust, armrest delete(factory), has been wrecked(head on repaired so that no visible damage can be seen) interior in fair condition (except front seats) 120,000 miles, stock motor (seems slow for a stock 5.0 possibly blow by), cracked front facia, LX tail lights, no tread on tires, warped rotor on front passenger side.

I'm building a race motor for the car and will only have to drive the car with the stock motor until i finish the race motor in less than a year.

The car sounds like a fair deal to me, just wanted to run it buy you guys.

Thanks
zepherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2001, 04:05 AM   #2
84LX89GT
Mustangs

I think you shouldn't get it. If it's been in a wreck the body has been tweaked and if it's already been modified or driven hard that won't help. I got my GT for $1500, but i talked him down from $2500 and it has low mileage and has no signs of being in an accident. if you want it to serve as an actual race car (like mine will), get one with a straight frame that's less likely to be twisted (which will help load the tires unevenly on launch in conjunction with the engine torque) or have cracked torque boxes. That's just my opinion. A really good option would be a 5.0L LX notchback or even a hatchback would be good. They cost less than GT's and weigh less as well and you can probably pick up a very nice one for about $3000. Good luck, just remember, don't rush into buying you may not want, because theres almost always a better deal out there.

------------------
previous name: 84stangLX
'84 Mustang 5.0 LX
my LX
'89 Mustang GT
my GT

84LX89GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2001, 04:12 AM   #3
mustang marty gt

may not be such a good deal depened' on how much you want to sink into it. i sank about 4 grand into a 69 grande it's running gear was jam up 302 bored 30 over aluminum slugs headers 70 mach 1 4 speed & limeted slip rear end did a lot of body work & trim searching got tired & gave it to my son & bought a 2000 gt he's got tobuy me a set of bullit wheel's for it & give me my flow's but agreat bargain for him look around some unless you just really want that car it ain't a bad price really good luck that is a great body style

------------------
Old 08-30-2001, 09:20 AM   #4
LoneRanger
Registered Member

Thumbs down

Hey Zepherman:

I would hold out on that car. With $3000 to spend and considering you live in an area that doesn't use salt on the roads in the winter you ought to be able to pick up a 'stang with a real cherry body for about that price. If you are considering building a motor for it I would first consider the shape of the body over the mechanicals of the motor (that is unless you have to drive it 'til the new motor is done). You might even want to consider purchasing a 4-banger in excellent shape for that price and converting it with all the goodies. Just my 2 cents worth. Jeff
LoneRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2001, 10:24 AM   #5
lx mike
Undescribable

unless you know alot about body work and can make sure it is straight i'd say keep looking, since your going to be buidling a engine for it find some thing that look good but might not run great.

------------------
93-LX: 5 Speed, Flow's with H-Pipe, 3.73's, C&L 76MM Kit, Sub's and K&N.
14.722@ 98.24
lx mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2001, 07:52 PM   #6
1BAD89
Tubbed and Juiced

I personally wouldn't buy it. $3000 is alot of money. My friend got one with 164k for $2600 and it's pretty nice. Run's pretty good also.If your building a motor for it, I would try and find the nicest one you could get with maybe higher miles? Remember thouhg higher mileage probaly = new tranny, etc, etc....
1BAD89 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: