MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 05-04-2001, 03:24 PM   #1
exgmguy
Registered Member

Post A good tip to keep your car from being stolen.

I was reading Sminemup's thread and I really feel for him.
Here is a little trick that I do. I simply remove the fuel pump relay from beneath the drivers seat and take it with me. I have JAZ seats which give you a little more reach under there, but if you remove the flimsy bracket that hold the relay you can pull the relay and pigtail close to the front where you can easily unplug it.

A lot easier than removing your cap and rotor too.
exgmguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2001, 03:35 PM   #2
SmokeyDP
Registered Member

I came up with some idea that you can maybe wire one of your horn buttons so the car will only start if you are holding in one of the horn buttons while starting it. Just make sure you dont wire the horn to that button, or u can find somewhere to put a button. What do you guys think? Could this be a good idea?

------------------
1992 GT 5.0L Convertible
BBK Shorties, Flowmasters, Super Chip, Mass Air, Under Drive Pullies, Hurst Shifter, Duck Tape
AIM: SmokeyDP
SmokeyDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2001, 03:41 PM   #3
Rick 91GT
Procharged!

Pulling the relay or even the multiple kill switches I installed are great for someone starting your car and driving it away but if they really want it, they will hok it up to a trailer or dolly and drive it away. Pretty scary there are people out there like that, more in some area then others. My kill switches have to be in a certain patternt for my car to start, I taped into the fuel pump relay, and unless you have a 20ft piece of wire with you you can't jump it, plus I have added other security items. The post was depressing but hopefully eye opening to a lot of us.

------------------
Check Out My Site 91GT,Holley SysteMAX II Kit-Heads 2.02" x 1.60" port matched to a 1262,Anderson N-61,24#,76mm C&L,Full MAC exhaust 1-5/8" Long tubes,2-1/2" O.R H-Pipe,2 1/2" cat back, No A/C or PS or emissions, 12" K&N Filter,RNH PERFORMANCE Ram Air,Ron Davis Radiator,Full Suspension,S&W 8pt "X" brace,JAZ seats,3:73's,Welds..etc,4:30's and 31 splines coming very soon!
Rick 91GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2001, 05:26 PM   #4
Rev
Registered Member

I have a club on my '66. That can easily be defeated by simply bolt cutting a little section out of the steering wheel and hot wiring the car in about 10 seconds. Since I have an electric fuel pump on a carbureted engine, there's always fuel in the float bowl. I have a "kill switch" going to the fuel pump. If someone cuts the steering wheel, then hot wires it, the car will go about 1/2 block and the gas in the float bowl will be gone. I figure the theif will be scared then (1/2 block from the theft) when the engine dies and will abandon the car. That's my premise anyway. Hope it works if it ever happens.

Rev

------------------
'66 Coupe, 306, 300 HP, C-4, 13.97 e.t., 100.3 mph
1/4 mi.
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2001, 07:09 PM   #5
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Yes, it they really want your car they can get it, but Mustangs are not prime cantidates for the kind of car thief who's the serious professional. They really aren't worth much, comparitively, and unless they know what you have, it's probably not worth the risk.

An alarm is a pretty good deterrent, it's not that you can't get around them, it's just one more thing that needs to be dealt with. If you have an alarm, a fuel pump cutoff switch, and you don't keep a lot of valuable stuff in your car, it makes it much less likely to disappear.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2001, 10:20 PM   #6
PGkelly
Registered Member

Most stolen cars 2000:
1. 1989 Toyota camry
2. 1990 Toyota camry
3. 1991 Toyota camry
4. 1988 Toyota camry
5. 1994 Honda accord EX
6. 1996 Honda accord LX
7. 1994 Chevrolet C1500 4x2
8. 1990 Honda accord EX
9. 1997 Ford F150 4x2
10. 1995 Honda accord EX

'nuff said. BTW, most modded 'stangs that are stolen are probably done so strictly for joyriding.

------------------
If it ain't broke, make it go faster

AOL: MCVillain45
PGkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2001, 12:33 AM   #7
bigwhitecobra
Huh? Whatcha said?

Most Mustangs that are stolen, are done so by someone that the owner knows, or has met. Or atleast knows you. They usually want your engine, or what not, for themselves. It sux that this is where society has come to, but what can you do? Legally, that is.
bigwhitecobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2001, 02:11 AM   #8
Mercury
The Redneck James Bond

Unhappy

This happened back in 1998 here in Fayetteville. Its sad.

There was a 18 year old boy that had worked his butt off since he turned 15 at one of the Foodlions in town, and had saved all his money from his Birthdays to get his Dream Car, A Ford Mustang GT. Well he had enough money and bought a nice Shiny black 98 GT.

3 days later he went to meet someone he heard had some Rims for his car that they were going to sell cheap. He went to check them out. He got there and the people (two mid 20's guys) told him they were inside. When he got inside, they shot and killed him. He was a good kid.

They were caught 2 weeks later while driving the poor kids car. They ragged it pretty bad, and when asked why they did it they said because they thought his car was "phat".

That saddens me everytime I think of that incident. Oh well (not to sound religous) but I like to think that kid is up in heaven enjoying his GT now. Maybe God gave him a Novi 2000, and some 4.10's and hes up there dusting Camaros. I still have the article that was in the paper.

[This message has been edited by Mercury (edited 05-05-2001).]
Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2001, 07:09 AM   #9
exgmguy
Registered Member

Here around Detroit you can find a lot of deals that are "too good to be true" and are obviously parts from a stolen car. I was even asked by my stepbrothers 17 year old friend if I wanted a good deal on a hot supercharger for a Mustang.

'Freakin idiot. He was probably looking at mine with his mouth watering.

Basically I believe Mustangs are mainly stolen by young punks looking for free parts. Those imports listed earlier are stolen because of their expensive import replacement parts. Not because they have a set of Welds on them, aluminum heads, and an S-trim.
exgmguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2001, 08:46 AM   #10
tireburner163
It's a lot like a race car

Mercury whats wrong with sounding religous. I know he's in heaven (if he was saved). And this is heaven so he's dusting Vipers.
tireburner163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2001, 11:54 AM   #11
Mercury
The Redneck James Bond

Smile

I dont think anythings wrong with bieng a religous person. I believe in God, and I pray to him everynight. I especially give thanks to him for watching over me and the luck I have while Driving If it wasnt for him, I would of been dead several times over, and probably killed myself about 7 years back because of something that happened to me.

I just didnt know if that would be considered pushing religion on anybody.

On a diffrent subject, another good tip to keep your car from getting stolen, well on an carberated car, is a manual choke. Most crackheads and joy riders wouldnt think of it. At one of the classic cars shows I attended a guy had a MG with a 289 in it. Oh man it was sweet, anyway, he said one night some theives tried to take his car but couldnt get it cranked.

------------------
64 1/2 "D" code Red Mustang Coupe. 289, C4, 3:1 rear gear. Mallory duel point. Ported & Polished 65 heads shaved .01 with 351 windsor valves, high side of 10.5:1 comp, 1.7:1 sled rockers, blue wolverine lumpy cam, autolite 4100 Hipo 4 barrel. And to many others to list

2000 Perf Red Mustang GT. 5spd. BBK Underdrive pulleys, Flotech off-road H pipe. Hurst T-Handle

64 1/2 red 6cyl coupe. Auto. project car.
Old 05-05-2001, 02:59 PM   #12
smooth
Registered Member

Thumbs down

mercury, god stuff like that pisses me off. what kind of losers KILL someone to go tool around in a 15 second car? what ever happened to them? life w/o parole i hope.
smooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2001, 12:48 AM   #13
Mercury
The Redneck James Bond

Thumbs down

Smooth, sorry to hear god stuff like that pisses you off, BUT OH WELL. WHy would one get so angered by that? Now if it was Human sacrifices or something as such, then I could see that. But hey this isnt a religouis discusion board, nor is it a state or gov. owned board, so there is no seperation of Church and Mustang Works. I didnt push any religion on anyone.

As for the losers that stole the car, Do you honestly think they were concerned with speed! NO!!!!

Believe it or not, people dont like cars just for there speed! Thats one of the main reasons I like a car, but Styling also has to do with it. For example I love old Plymouth Furys, and 59 Cadillacs. There not fast (although plymouth did have a dual quad 318 Fury) but to me the have style.

My guess is they thought the car was "Phat" because.
1. It was Brand spankin NEW.
2. It was Shiny
3. They thought Pimpin in it would score them "G Money" points or something.

As for there sentence, it wasnt made public knowledge, but NC has the death penalty, and they like to give it out. I hope they also Tap to the tune of 220, and go to hell.

I know that sounds mean, but hey thats how I feel.

------------------
64 1/2 "D" code Red Mustang Coupe. 289, C4, 3:1 rear gear. Mallory duel point. Ported & Polished 65 heads shaved .01 with 351 windsor valves, high side of 10.5:1 comp, 1.7:1 sled rockers, blue wolverine lumpy cam, autolite 4100 Hipo 4 barrel. And to many others to list

2000 Perf Red Mustang GT. 5spd. BBK Underdrive pulleys, Flotech off-road H pipe. Hurst T-Handle

64 1/2 red 6cyl coupe. Auto. project car.
Old 05-06-2001, 02:25 AM   #14
Power
Registered Member

A good way to keep your car from being stolen is just to chain a 170lbs Pitbull or Rottwieller inside the ******* car. Just make sure you clean up the mess each morning.
Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2001, 01:43 PM   #15
smooth
Registered Member

mercury what i said has nothing to do with religion. a comma should have been placed in between god, stuff.

how was the sentence not made public knowledge? i don't think that is possible. who knows?
smooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2001, 03:21 PM   #16
Mercury
The Redneck James Bond

I'm sorry Smooth. I asumed you were getting on my case about posting Gods name. I Didnt mean to sound like such an A$$.

Once again I apologize. And yeah, those guys obvilisouly dont apreciate Muscle cars for the reasons we do.
Old 05-06-2001, 10:10 PM   #17
jimberg
Registered Member

Mercury, the only thing wrong with your message is that we all know that Camaro drivers go to hell. How could he possibly be racing them?

------------------
351W 89 Mustang GT Convertible
jimberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2001, 11:58 PM   #18
84_GT350
Registered Member

Note to exgmguy:

The reason many imports are so easy to steal is in part because of their parts value, mostly because of their keys. Notice how Camrys are on there so much? Here's why. Camrys keys are interchangeable. My aunt had an '87 Camry that was stolen a few years ago right outside of DC (on the day of the million man march actually...apparently one of them was driving). So she goes to the parking lot where her car was and finds this car exactly like it...same model year, color, everything, gets in and starts it then realizes it's not hers! What they'd done is gotten a set of keys to a Camry, stolen one in Maryland, and dropped it off when they stole hers. The keys from one will fit another and you can take the keys out while the engine's running. So much for Japanese superior mechanics.

------------------
1984 1/2 GT350 (#842 Hatchback w/ T-tops), 302HO, Comp cams Xtreme Energy cam, Carter 625cfm carb, Weiand Stealth intake, MSD distributor, MSD coil, FMS 9mm wires, 1 5/8" MAC unequal shorties, 2 1/2" MAC Prochamber H-pipe, Flowmaster 2 chambers, KYBs, 16"x8" 4 lug Cobra Rs, Falken 245/45ZR16s
84_GT350 is offline   Reply With Quote