MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 08-22-2002, 07:27 AM   #1
rppngears
Registered Member

Default Loud!!!

I used to have the dynomax ultraflow exhaust system, which sounded really nice, but wasn't loud enough for me. I just stuck some flowmaster 40 series originals on there last night and boy is it loud!! At first I was thrilled, but after driving for like 15 minutes I started developing a headache. It is loud enough that it's difficult to have a conversation in the car. My question is, I don't have tail pipes on yet, my old ones wouldn't work with the flow mufflers so I have to order some new ones.

Once I put these on will it make it significantly quieter inside the car or are flowmasters just meant to be this loud?? Also, untill I get my new pipes, will it help if I just clamp on a 12" or so piece of straight pipe to the muffler outlet?
Old 08-22-2002, 08:04 AM   #2
SlowGT
Registered Member

It should be signigicantly quieter with tailpipes. I've got the 2-chambers with tailpipes and it's still loud enough in the car that normal conversation is impossible.

New Slow GT--> under construction

Latest Addition: 95 Cobra R, #73, bone stock, ~6100 miles.
SlowGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2002, 10:08 AM   #3
Eric4Nitrous
Registered Member

Flowmasters without any tailpipe or turndown gets on your nerves real quick!! My dad has the 4 inch flowmaster 1 chambers on his chevelle and he put them right before the axle. No turndown or tailpipe and it rattles your whole insides and kills your ears. Put some tailpipes on it and you'd like it alot more.
Eric4Nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2002, 10:22 AM   #4
929PhoenixSquid
Registered Member

OMG, tailpipes amke all the differenc ein the WOLRD!

Let me tell you.....about 2 months ago, the tailpipe fell off (yes FELL OFF) my Beretta.... Since then, it sounds like I am driving a Tug Boat on the Roads of NJ.

SN95 block front and rear seats, Mac catback, BBK off-road H-pipe, Steeda castor camber plates, Steeda lowering springs, Tokico shocks/struts, Alpine/MBQuart/PPI audio mods...
929PhoenixSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2002, 11:48 AM   #5
joe4speed
He said Member...heh, heh

Yeah, even if you have turndowns, it's still way louder than tailpipes going out the back!
Old 08-22-2002, 01:40 PM   #6
rppngears
Registered Member

Default Loud!

Until I order and install some tail pipes should I put some turn downs on? There's a store not to far that sells them. Will they significatnly quiet things down?

Also, does anyone know where I can order some stainless steel tail pipes. Everyplace I've called only sells them in a kit.
Old 08-22-2002, 01:48 PM   #7
briand
Registered Member

yeah i would just clamp some turndowns on them, this way it would direct the sound towards the ground instead of just coming out of the muffler. i had turndowns for awhile and got tired of the noise, so i put 2.5" tailpipes on and it made it much more quiet. try brothers performance warehouse, i know awhile back they use to sell tailpipe kits from i believe dynomax. good luck man
GT-40X heads(58cc), Cobra upper and lower, 75 mm Bullet, Moroso fenderwell induction, FRPP 65mm TB, 24# injectors, black magic electric fan, phenolic spacer, 1.7 crane cobra roller rockers, crane 2031, BBK 1 5/8 equal length hearders, 2.5 inch off road pipe, 2.5 flowmaster catback, FMS 3.55 gears, T5-Z transmission, FRPP aluminum driveshaft, svo heavy duty clutch, mcleod bullet proff bellhousing, BBK adjustable cluth quadrant, hurst billet shifter, lakewood subframes, BBK strut tower brace, BBK 2pt lower cross bar, FMS 190 lph fuel pump, crane ps91 coil, FMS street pulleys, and 300+ race wires. All thanks goes to my wife sheri, jason, jeff, robby, my dad and all others you helped contribute. most importantly GOD!!!
briand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2002, 02:05 PM   #8
Lethal5Oh
Registered Member

Check Ebay. Theres always someone selling stock pipes from there cars.
'95 GT convert. K&N, C&L mass air meter, Performance distributors sreamin demon coil, dyna mod, live wires, king cobra clutch, flowmaster american thunder exhaust, UPR billet adjustable shift handle, Crane Cams Fireball HI-6 box,underdrive pullies, 255lph fuel pump, UPr short throw shifter, caster camber plates, 03 cobra lower A arms, bullit suspension, cobra front brakes
Lethal5Oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2002, 06:15 PM   #9
Agent_4573
Registered Member

If its still to loud after some tailpipes, you could always go up a chamber in your flowmasters. Like, if you running single chamber go to 2 chamber... it should quiet it down quite a bit.
'89 LX 5.0, off-road h pipe, flowmaster muffs, underdrive pulleys, rebuilt WC T-5, King Cobra Clutch, 65mm throttle body, Explorer Upper/GT40 lower, Lakewood Rear Lift Bars. 76mm C&L Mass air w/ inlet pipe, Twisted wedge heads w/ stage 2 port,polish, MAC equal length shorties, Billet AFPR, 255LPH fuel pump, fresh low end w/ 10.5:1 compression.

If anyone ever wants to go to Raceway Park in Englishtown New Jersey, give me a shout.

RICER HATERS CLUB MEMBER 87!
www.ricehatersclub.com
Agent_4573 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2002, 12:24 PM   #10
5000Man

I have 3 chamber Flowmasters with full 2 1/2 inch tail pipes. Sounds great at idle and punching around town. The resonating gets very old on the hghway around 2000 to 2500 RPM. I will probably upgrade to Magnaflow with X-pipes to quiet it down.
Old 08-23-2002, 12:40 PM   #11
rppngears
Registered Member

Default resonating

I've heard installing an h or x-pipe usually gets rid of the 2000rpm drone. Is this true?
Old 08-23-2002, 01:00 PM   #12
briand
Registered Member

your car should have one on stock
GT-40X heads(58cc), Cobra upper and lower, 75 mm Bullet, Moroso fenderwell induction, FRPP 65mm TB, 24# injectors, black magic electric fan, phenolic spacer, 1.7 crane cobra roller rockers, crane 2031, BBK 1 5/8 equal length hearders, 2.5 inch off road pipe, 2.5 flowmaster catback, FMS 3.55 gears, T5-Z transmission, FRPP aluminum driveshaft, svo heavy duty clutch, mcleod bullet proff bellhousing, BBK adjustable cluth quadrant, hurst billet shifter, lakewood subframes, BBK strut tower brace, BBK 2pt lower cross bar, FMS 190 lph fuel pump, crane ps91 coil, FMS street pulleys, and 300+ race wires. All thanks goes to my wife sheri, jason, jeff, robby, my dad and all others you helped contribute. most importantly GOD!!!
briand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2002, 01:46 PM   #13
Lethal5Oh
Registered Member

If you dont want to buy new mufflers you could always get resonated tips. Pacesetter and Hooker Headers make some nice one for like $30 a peice.
'95 GT convert. K&N, C&L mass air meter, Performance distributors sreamin demon coil, dyna mod, live wires, king cobra clutch, flowmaster american thunder exhaust, UPR billet adjustable shift handle, Crane Cams Fireball HI-6 box,underdrive pullies, 255lph fuel pump, UPr short throw shifter, caster camber plates, 03 cobra lower A arms, bullit suspension, cobra front brakes
Lethal5Oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2002, 02:50 PM   #14
1969Mach1
HEY I CAN SET A NAME NOW!

Quote:
Originally posted by 929PhoenixSquid
OMG, tailpipes amke all the differenc ein the WOLRD!

Let me tell you.....about 2 months ago, the tailpipe fell off (yes FELL OFF) my Beretta.... Since then, it sounds like I am driving a Tug Boat on the Roads of NJ.
lol I picture alot of NJ cars like that. My mom used to have a 90 Beretta before she got the van. Wish she kept it, I could put myself under it's unsurance so it'd be alot lower. Thing was 10 years old when we sold it and only had 80,000km which converts to like 50,000 miles. She hardly ever drove it. And it was sold for like $3000cdn. Ohh... well, can't worry to much, after all it was a chevy.

§am.

1979 Mustang Indianapolis 500 Pace Car **For Sale - Email me for Info**
302-2V, 3-Speed Auto
One of 2,106 made
One of 405 sent to Canada.
Yes those are caution lights, and No you can't pass me when there on.

Ricer Hater's Club - Member #4
1969Mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote