MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 08-10-2001, 02:01 PM   #1
LX XLR8R
Dirk Diggler

Post im pissed..i think i got ripped off..am I???

i gave a local guy a rear to make for me...i gave him gears, 31 spline axels, 31 spline diff, Mac girdle and a stock complete rear to use the houseing from..

so basically he just needed bearings, seals and crush colars and labor..what bill do i get $745!!!

when i got my gears done b4 it costed $380 and that included gears from a reputal shop that was used in MM&FF

------------------
1987 black notch(ex 4 banger)
DSS 306 w/ main support...Elderbrock 6028 heads..gt-40 intake..24# injectors...70 mm tb..77 pro-m...accel 300+..mac full legnth..tremec w/ pro5oh...full MAC exhaust,off road h-pipe,long tubes, catback...ron davis radiator..subframes, control arms...CFDF II..o yea holley FPR sucks..dont buy one..
AIM=onesillynotch
LX XLR8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2001, 02:05 PM   #2
bada$$lx

Cool

Yeah, I think you did. It's probably a good $300 more than it should've cost you. If I were you, I'd take those new gears and put them to work, doing donuts al over his front lawn!

------------------
'90 LX 5.0;12K original miles (no sh*&);3.55 gears; March pulleys;Edelbrock Performer Heads;BBK 1 5/8" equal length shorties;MSD 6AL ignition w/ blaster 2 coil;FMS E303 cam;Pro-M 75mm MAF;BBK 70mm TB; Eibach drag-launch spring kit;Southside welded subs;9" K&N cone filter charger;Hurst shifter;Cervini's 3" turbo hood;A/C delete; gutted cats;2 chamber Flomasters;Corbeau racing seats;FMS 30# injectors;JMS chip; Holley 190lb fp;TFS track heat Intake (12.299 @ 113 - 1.78 60')
Old 08-10-2001, 02:05 PM   #3
Stang Runner
Registered Member

I payed 300 for a gear install that was the labor only.
Stang Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2001, 02:13 PM   #4
PKRWUD

Break down the bill for us. Include each item on the reciept, and how much they charged for it. Also, what was the amount written on the estimate you signed?

Take care
~Chris

------------------
Retired Moderator
MustangNet

My site: JimPorterRacing

RACECAR spelled backwards is RACECAR

HEY !!! Are you ASE Certified ??? If you are, ask me about iATN. The best tool you'll ever have, and it's free !!!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2001, 02:34 PM   #5
exgmguy
Registered Member

Yeah, Do that. I'd love to see an itemized bill for that much labor and 20 bucks in parts.

------------------
1988 Mustang GT
11.8 @ 123 (7/14/01)
1992 BadAzz Wrangler
1993 Explorer
exgmguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2001, 02:35 PM   #6
LX XLR8R
Dirk Diggler

it was 6 hours in labor for about 380 and 350 about in parts?????for crush colar and bearings/seals

the only thing extra they did but i dont see how it could be that much was weld a bead around the axel tubes and they painted the entire thing

------------------
DSS 306 w/ main support...Elderbrock 6028 heads..gt-40 intake..24# injectors...70 mm tb..77 pro-m...accel 300+..mac full legnth..tremec w/ pro5oh...full MAC exhaust,off road h-pipe,long tubes, catback...ron davis radiator..subframes, control arms...CFDF II..o yea holley FPR sucks..dont buy one..
AIM=onesillynotch
Old 08-10-2001, 02:40 PM   #7
LX XLR8R
Dirk Diggler

he wouldnt give me a estidmate..he said he had no idea

------------------
AIM=onesillynotch
Old 08-10-2001, 02:41 PM   #8
LX XLR8R
Dirk Diggler

i could of gotten a bolt in 9" for 2k new???i dont get it

------------------
AIM=onesillynotch
Old 08-10-2001, 03:24 PM   #9
Stang Runner
Registered Member

Red face

I would call the parts store and find out how much they the parts would cost? $350 sounds like alot.
Old 08-10-2001, 03:25 PM   #10
Rick 91GT
Procharged!

If the axles tubes have been welded then they have been alinged, straightened and welded that will cost extra and really is a great thing to do. I have seen local Peformance shops charge $60/hour and the bearing kit can be had for about $85.

Rick

------------------
Check Out My Site 91GT,Holley SysteMAX II Kit-Heads 2.02" x 1.60" port matched to a 1262,Anderson N-61,24#,76mm C&L,Full MAC exhaust 1-5/8" Long tubes,2-1/2" O.R H-Pipe,2 1/2" cat back, No A/C or PS or emissions, 12" K&N Filter,RNH PERFORMANCE Ram Air,Ron Davis Radiator,Full Suspension, SPEC stage III clutch, Lakewood SFI bell, S&W 8pt "X" brace,JAZ seats,3:73's,Welds..etc,4:30's and 31 splines coming very soon! <B
Rick 91GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2001, 04:02 PM   #11
PKRWUD

Good point! Also, and this is for everyone, you must understand that every successful automotive repair business in the free world makes money on parts. They have to in order to survive. It's sometimes as much as 4 or 5 times what they were charged, but most reputable shops have a set percentage they apply to all parts, usually between 185% and 275%. This is a simple fact, and has been since repair shops began. They get a significant discount because they order so many parts from a supplier, and why should they not profit from that. They're the ones moving the parts, not the customers. When all is said and done, it usually averages out to about 1.5 times what a similar part would have cost you at a discount parts store, but the parts the shop used would have cost you close to the same amount if you had bought them elsewhere, usually. This is important to understand. Owning and operating a repair facility is a very expensive undertaking, and if they didn't make money on parts, they would have to charge a minimum of $100 an hour. Don't try to supply your own parts, either. No reputable shop will let you. I won't warranty someone elses parts, would you? Plus, you are defeating them making that extra amount they get from parts, and they can't stay in business that way.

I'm not saying his charges were justified, but I get so sick and tired of hearing people say that they got ripped off because the parts could have been purchased elsewhere for less.

Anyway, please get the receipt and sit down at your computer and write down everything it says. Specifically. Then we can tell you if you got ripped off.

By the way, it's a law that no repair work can be charged for without a signed estimate, and it can't exceed that estimate without the owners authorization.

Take care
~Chris

------------------
Retired Moderator
MustangNet

HEY !!! Are you ASE Certified ??? If you are, ask me about iATN. The best tool you'll ever have, and it's free !!!
Old 08-10-2001, 04:36 PM   #12
Stang Runner
Registered Member

Hey PKRWUD The shop I go to chages $150 hr to work on rearends They chage you what the parts are not a big mark up. They are one of the best shops it town.
Old 08-10-2001, 07:37 PM   #13
PKRWUD

That sounds fair. They must be good to be able to command that high of a wage, but in reality, you have to make that kind of money if you want to be able to pay off all your equipment and machinery, and have anything left to retire on. Quality work commands quality pay. In order for that shop to have the best techs working for them, they have to pay them, and have the very best in equipment. Neither one is cheap. I think you might be surprised to see what they actually pay for parts, because if one guy starts selling parts at cost, his supplier won't sell to him anymore, because the domino effect that would follow would eventually bite the supplier. In a specialty shop, such as a rear end or transmission shop, there usually isn't as much competition in town which means they're not backstabbing another shop by charging less for parts and more for labor. That's still fairly unusual, but I'm glad to see they are respected!

Take care
~Chris

------------------
Retired Moderator
MustangNet

Old 08-10-2001, 08:35 PM   #14
stanger8172
Registered Member

a local shop in Milwaukee wants to charge me $250 in labor alone for a ring and pinion gear change alone. This shop is one of the best and most respected.
stanger8172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2001, 10:38 PM   #15
exgmguy
Registered Member

Those parts could be purchased for less than 100 bucks easily. But as stated earlier. The markup is crazy. A long time ago I used to deliver auto parts. A 100% markup was the norm. I would constantly have to avoid customers who were trying to see what their parts actually cost.
exgmguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2001, 01:40 AM   #16
jimberg
Registered Member

I think you got ripped off. For $800 you could have bought a brand new, direct from Ford 8.8" rear with the gears you wanted. The rebuild kit I got from Summit which included all the bearings and seals was less than $100.

All I can say is that I was glad I was able to do my rear by myself. Sandblasting, painting, and all. I'm sure you were a lot cleaner.

------------------
351W 89 Mustang GT Convertible
jimberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2001, 09:41 AM   #17
rbatson

Wink

$250 is about the price people want around here to install gears, I paid $75. I had my stockblock cleaned, heads added, intake, blower, everything... installed for $400 with head gaskets(o-ringed $100 aset) and other needed parts it cost me $830 total installation. It cost me $170 for the lentech valve body install and PI convertor swap, yesterday. If you get to know the mechanics and know something about what you want done, you can get the work done alot cheaper.. maybe I'm just lucky..
Old 08-11-2001, 11:59 AM   #18
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

I dont understand why you would pay someone $300.00 to put in a ring and pinion gear I did mine myself and thought that it was pretty easy.

If you want something done right do it yourself and after you have done it once you will never have to pay to have that same service performed caused then you know what you are doing.

I would rather spend the $300 dollars that I saved on labor on a performance part.

------------------
88 mustang gt convertible bored to 306 BBk equal length headers mac cold air fender kit 3.73 FMS gears cowl hood nitto drag radials ford racing clutch flow masters h-pipe 160* thermostat 16 degrees of timing electric fan off 94' t-bird jacobs electronics cap and wires. Edelbrock 1 1/2 inch drop springs.
Dark_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2001, 03:51 PM   #19
JR 302GT
Registered Member

It sounds high, but since I never had that done I can't really say for sure. It pays to do some of the labor yourself, if you have the time, place, and tools. I know that I'm really lucky to have somebody in town here that works on rear ends and transmisions at awesome rates. To completely tear down and rebuild a T5 he only charges $60, plus parts of course. $75 to swap your ring & pinion. I recently twisted my mainshaft in half on a Friday night. I tore the tranny out and brought it to him Saturday. Sunday it was back in the car and I only forked out $151 for the mainshaft, repairs, and fluid.

Mark me down as another lucky one!

John
JR 302GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2001, 09:39 PM   #20
MiracleMax
Registered Member

Hmmm... did you get C-clip eliminator axles?

Okay less'see I just got the parts together for an 8.8 diff

31 Spline Strange Axles....374.99
31 Spline Auburn Pro.......390.99
8.8 Complete Bearing Kit....95.99
Granatelli Rear End Girdle.145.99
Motorsports 4.10 gears.....189.99
Powder Coating.............350.00
Setup & Install............300.00
Pressed Bearings............60.00
Total.....................1907.95

I've still got to get bushings and gear lube, and friction modifier. so thats another 30 bucks I figure so about 1940.00 dollars total

Did you read the destructions for the diff install - what a pain in the whazoo! and if you got a set of motorsport gears, even worse, a pinion nut, some pinion shims and crush sleeve. No reference stamped on the ring or pinion gears.

Yeah break it down and see how it came out?
MiracleMax is offline   Reply With Quote