MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 09-12-2003, 07:23 PM   #1
J114
Registered Member

Question Hatchback or Convertible??????

Hello Everyone!

I need some advice, I am looking for a car but having a hard time deciding. I like the looks of both hatch and vert. I have never been in a convertible and hear a lot of bad things: squeaks, rattles, leaks, etc. How much heavier is the vert than hatch? Any other problems I should consider? There are some good deals on hatchbacks in the local trader right now, so I don't want to miss theses while waiting for a convertible and later find that I don't like convertible. Anyhow I was hoping I could get some advice from someone who has or has had a convertible. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
J114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2003, 09:09 PM   #2
91GTturbo
Registered Member

I've had both and it all comes down to what you want to do with the car. For pure moding possibilities, get the hatch, less weight and overall less flex in the body. If your not looking for a pure street/strip terror, get the vert, nothing like putting the top down.
I've riden in convertibles with over 100K miles on them and hardly a squeak can be heard, then again I've been in brand new ones that sounded horrible. I good set of subframe connectors on a vert will make a big difference if there's only some minor squeaks and when the top is down, all your going to hear are some tunes or the wind anyway. As far as weight difference between the 2, can't give you an accurate number on both, but most say around 200 lb difference.
Old 09-12-2003, 09:19 PM   #3
billheis
Registered Member

Hey J114, I've got a 90LX 5.0 vert w/ 120,000 and I love it. No squeeks or rattles. However it is a little heavier, I do believe 91GT is right about 200 or so pounds heavier. With the top up I get some wind noise. Down here in FL we get heavy rainstorms in afternoon and I will get a few drips but nothing to worry about. If your looking for a cruiser get one if you want to go racing stay with hatch or coupe.
Bill
90 Convertable 5.0 LX, ported E7s w/ THumper valve job, TFS street, FR 65mm TB, B cam w/1.7 cobra rockers, kirban AFPR, Mac CAI, Mac Headers, off road h, 3 chamber flows, Crane ign. box, 3:73s, Art Carr AOD & 2600 converter
billheis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2003, 09:34 PM   #4
1jimmy__d
Registered Member

MMMmmmmm, I say get the hatch. i sold my vert to my brother for a hatch back. you will always want more power than what youve got, trust me! i was going to buy a new motor and put it in the vert, but decided to go with the hatch becaseu of the aforementioned. the vert was sweet, but i wanted power which i am sure you will want as well. BUT it is your decision, so weigh the pros and cons and decide!
90 lx hatch, holley systemax II kit, rebuilt 302, BBK 155 lph fuel pump, pro M bullet mass meter wtih BBk cold air intake, 30 # injectors, 70 mm TB, jacobs ignition system, edelbrock water pump, BBk longtube headers with h-pipe, flowmasters, b&m ripper shifter, 3.55 gears, Proform electric fan, subframe connectors/removed smog pump and ac!

75 shot of nitrous!

13.2 at 112 1/4 mile- no traction!
1jimmy__d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2003, 09:56 PM   #5
ols0051
Registered Member

The info these other people are giving you is good. I have an 89 gt convert and I prefer to drive it with the top up.(too many people looking at you). but if you go the droptop route be sure the top, and top frame is intact, and all the hardware is in good working order."the stuff can be spendy". I sold my hatch to buy the convertable, now I am looking for a hatch and my convert is going to be the wifes problem. I did notice that when I put in subframe connectors and a strut tower brace it really helped it out as far as the ride quality. Also there is not very much room in the convertable. so if you are not married with kids and actually have friends, better get the hatch. 2 more things. It is about 200 pounds heavier and 2 weeks ago, with a hatch or a notch I could have beat that civic at the dragstrip that got my by a tenth. Being your in Canada, Don't plan on driving with the top down unless it is 70 degrees F. hope all this helps.
ols0051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2003, 11:07 PM   #6
J114
Registered Member

Thanks for the advice everyone! I appreciate your opinions, I will have to do some serious thinking.
J114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2003, 09:44 AM   #7
Dave_mustang_50
Registered Member

I say find a rag top for sale and go for a ride in it and see what you think. It took me about 10 minutes to realize the coupe was gone and the drop top was the way for me. Also, any 5.0 has crazy aftermarket, a drop top can be quick too.

Sold 92 Rag Top GT
Procharged & intercooled DSS 331 LC
Holley Systemax 2 Intake, Edelbrock RPM Heads,E 303 ,blow thru air meter, race bypass, 42 pph injectors,65mm tb,1.7 rr, Mac long tube headers w/off road H pipe, Force 2 catback, TKO,Pro 5.0, K&N, Alum DS,3 core radiator, subframe connectors,3.73`s, Nitto DR`s and a Heavy Foot.
Dave_mustang_50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2003, 11:57 AM   #8
LxMustangRacer
Registered Member

I sold my '91 hatch to buy my current '94 vert and couldn't be happier. Sure I can feel the difference in speed, but that just gives me a project to work on. Nothing quite like flying down the freeway with the top down. I'm sure you'll be pleased with whichever car you choose.
Old 09-14-2003, 12:16 AM   #9
Fox Body
Mustang Maniac

To me, a vert is more trouble than it's worth. Get the hatch. Trunk space is almost nothing in the vert--pitiful. The hatch gives you lots of space to carry luggage, etc, etc, etc. I couldn't be happier with my GT hatch. Just get the hatch!!!! Plus they just look better..... (oh, oh)
Stock 5.8L under 4" cowl 'glass hood, C4 w/ Transgo shift kit, Holley 750 cfm, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake; Fluidyne Al radiator, Flexalite 175 electric fan, 1 5/8" MAC shorty headers, FRPP Al driveshaft; S&W 6-point cage; 2.5" Off road H-pipe, 2-chamber Flowmasters, 8.8" Rear w/ 3.55s; Weld wheels (15x6;15x8), Front: 225/60/15, Rear: 275/50/15 Nitto NT 555R Drag Radials;
14 x 4” K&N X-stream air filter.

'92 GT (5-speed)
Small In Car Video
Stock 5.0L, 2-chamber Flowmasters, MAC CAI, Tri-Ax, Al pedals...

"Red, thou art my companion. Hasten now your quickened metamorphosis to Green that I may conquer all who dare abide there beside me. May they be left thither behind burnt black." ---Fox Body
Fox Body is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2003, 02:27 AM   #10
fastas69
Registered Member

I have two convertibles mustangs, I like them both. Dont worry about power, you can make them plenty fast my 90 has whipped up on both hatch and notches. So in my opinion a vert is the best of both worlds, Fun in the sun and fast as well!!
Old 09-14-2003, 12:11 PM   #11
tireburner163
It's a lot like a race car

notch backs and hatch's are faster, but a vert is SOOO much fun to cruise around in.

-Josh, aka the tireburner

1998 HD Electra Elide
tireburner163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2003, 01:19 PM   #12
Fox Body
Mustang Maniac

And another thing. I don't understand some people with verts. The LAST thing I wanna do on a burning hot day is pull down the top so the sun can burn my neck, allow birds to have an airraid on me, make the seats scolding hot and have direct access to my dash board and vinyl so it can start cracking. On a mild day, it's totally enough and satisfying for me to take out the moon roof (flip open air roof--- as Ford calls it), b/c it is removable + the windows down and have the extra air come it.
Stock 5.8L under 4" cowl 'glass hood, C4 w/ Transgo shift kit, Holley 750 cfm, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake; Fluidyne Al radiator, Flexalite 175 electric fan, 1 5/8" MAC shorty headers, FRPP Al driveshaft; S&W 6-point cage; 2.5" Off road H-pipe, 2-chamber Flowmasters, 8.8" Rear w/ 3.55s; Weld wheels (15x6;15x8), Front: 225/60/15, Rear: 275/50/15 Nitto NT 555R Drag Radials;
14 x 4” K&N X-stream air filter.

'92 GT (5-speed)
Small In Car Video
Stock 5.0L, 2-chamber Flowmasters, MAC CAI, Tri-Ax, Al pedals...

"Red, thou art my companion. Hasten now your quickened metamorphosis to Green that I may conquer all who dare abide there beside me. May they be left thither behind burnt black." ---Fox Body
Fox Body is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2003, 04:33 PM   #13
91GTturbo
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Fox Body
And another thing. I don't understand some people with verts. The LAST thing I wanna do on a burning hot day is pull down the top so the sun can burn my neck, allow birds to have an airraid on me, make the seats scolding hot and have direct access to my dash board and vinyl so it can start cracking. On a mild day, it's totally enough and satisfying for me to take out the moon roof (flip open air roof--- as Ford calls it), b/c it is removable + the windows down and have the extra air come it.
That's why you buy a beater with AC and your 91 vert only has 43K miles on it, for those days when AC isn't needed.
Old 09-14-2003, 05:23 PM   #14
Dave_mustang_50
Registered Member

Who needs ac when you`ve got 60-80 mph air? And another thing is the luggage rack they come with. Its a proven fact that Camaros prefer to see it over a spoiler when playing on the street. "Was that a Mustang with a luggage rack that just walked me?"

Sold 92 Rag Top GT
Procharged & intercooled DSS 331 LC
Holley Systemax 2 Intake, Edelbrock RPM Heads,E 303 ,blow thru air meter, race bypass, 42 pph injectors,65mm tb,1.7 rr, Mac long tube headers w/off road H pipe, Force 2 catback, TKO,Pro 5.0, K&N, Alum DS,3 core radiator, subframe connectors,3.73`s, Nitto DR`s and a Heavy Foot.
Dave_mustang_50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2003, 03:16 PM   #15
USMC302
Registered Member

Quote:
Who needs ac when you`ve got 60-80 mph air?
When you live in SouthEast Texas.
Old 09-16-2003, 08:14 PM   #16
AutoX281
Registered Member

Thumbs up vert all the way in Cali....

Here in Calif., a vert is the only way to go w/sunshine most of the year. even when it gets cold (60 deg. F is cold for us, though probably summer to you in Canada) I just put the heater on full blast and still have fun.. crank up the stereo and I never hear the wind or the sirens behind me!

Granted mine's only 5 years old but she has 117k on the clock and doesn't squek or moan.... and that's w/3 years of crankin' her hard around the corners of auto-x events. SFCs, strut- and shock-tower braces will help. they're about 200 lbs heavier than coupes, but well worth it. I personally like all the looks I get, especially when they're from the female persuasion.....

After I bought this car I swore to never have a hardtop daily driver again. Racecar however, is a different story....

--Javier
98 GT Conv, #81 FS, #18 FSL, current autox-er
84 9W SVO, #??? not ready yet.. future autox-er
AutoX281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 01:39 PM   #17
fred414141
Registered Member

Default Re: Hatchback or Convertible??????

..............60 degrees? 70 degrees?...............turn on the heater,grab a jacket,and drop the top even as cool as 45 degrees! of course,that's in missouri..................
fred414141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 10:18 AM   #18
HoodStrype
Rearview Mirror Haze

Ragtops are Hell! The tops are expensive every 3 or 4 years, they do squeak, they do moan when they get a lot of mileage on them. I've had two verts, and my hatch seems so much more stable. If you get a vert, make sure to get subframes and have a really good job!

...the epitome of Murphy's Law
HoodStrype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 05:36 PM   #19
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

Smile Re: Hatchback or Convertible?

I love convertibles but they have their drawbacks so you have to consider them carefully before putting your money down (or going into debt). .

As you live in Canada, you won't really get much use from a ragtop yet all year 'round you have to carry the extra weight, deal with the (possible) looseness of the car (Ford cuts off the top from of a sedan to make the convertible, negating a lot of the body structure's stability), the lack of real security (any fool with a penknife can not only destroy your expensive top but get into your car, too) and the fact that if you ever are involved in a roll-over crash, you are in big trouble.

However, a convertible always looks great with the top down. If that is your sole motivation, go for it...it's your money. Still, I had a (1990 LX) hatchback for 15 years and it served me well. Lots of storage room and it looked great. To each his own.
Old 11-04-2005, 12:07 AM   #20
redsn95vert
Registered Member

I lived in Tampa for 3 years and only used my AC when it rained....
I've got about 135,000 mi and only have minor leaks when I go through the car wash, and by the way...don't tell my wife I said this but the chicks dig the vert over a hard top any day.
95 GT convertable, ported+polished GT40 heads, port matched upper and lower Cobra intake manifold, Flowthech headers, Catco hi-flow h-pipe with 2 hi-flow cats, Mac true fit catback exhaust, 3.73 gears, underdrive pullies, Edelbrock 70mm throttle body, Mac cold air intake, FMS 24lb injectors, Granatelli 75mm mass air
redsn95vert is offline   Reply With Quote