MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-18-2002, 10:24 AM   #21
czstang1701
Registered Member

thanks for the info, man.. Thats something that makes sense too.. Cops generally, when i speak to them, say that they are only out there to slow you down..but if they hide behind walls, that contradicts what they are saying, telling us they are out there for our money. I mean i rarely speed. my limit is about 4 over..especially because i one of the 4 teenagers in my town with a bright shiny new GT.. Most the cops in my town are great. However, there is about 2 i know of in this town (used to be one, until another pulled my girlfriend over)..

My girlfriend was going the speedlimit down a road, which is pretty hard to do because this road goes from 55, to 45, to 35, to 30, and then up again.. because it goes straight through town and back on the freeway.. ANYWAY.. She takes a right onto another road thats 30.. She generally hits the accelerator until she gets to about 2 or 3 over her speed limit she says.... A cop, whos hiding in this alleyway pulls out and pulls her over. He tells her she looked young (shes 16)..and tells her to not speed, and lets her off.. She wasn't even speeding in the first place.. I dunno i felt left out, decided to tell a story of mine. Wasn't really big, just kind of weird. I still think all cops are like people.. Some are jerks, and some have their bad days.. They just have the power to abuse it if they please. I have some friends that are going into the police force, and know some people i work with are ex-cops.. Great guys.. There are just about 2 cops that ive known of that don't deserve the badge they wear.

Brand new! w00 h00! :-D
czstang1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2002, 11:47 AM   #22
PKRWUD

Quote:
Originally posted by czstang1701
THey are illegal? All over my town cops will hang around corners where they cannot be seen. So thats illegal?
California Vehicle Code

Division 17 - OFFENSES AND PROSECUTION

Chapter 3 - ILLEGAL EVIDENCE

Article 1 - Prosecutions Under Code

40800 - Vehicle and Uniform Used by Officers:
Every traffic officer on duty for the exclusive or main purpose of enforcing the provisions of Division 10 (accidents) or 11 (rules of the road) of this code shall wear a full distinctive uniform, and if the officer while so on duty uses a motor vehicle, it must be painted a distinctive color specified by the commissioner.
This section does not apply to an officer assigned exclusively to the duty of investigating and securing evidence in reference to any theft of a vehicle or failure of a person to stop in the event of an accident or violation of Section 23109 or in reference to any felony charge, or to any officer engaged in serving any warrant when the officer is not engaged in patrolling the highways for the purpose of enforcing the traffic laws.

Point being that the officer and car must be clearly marked

40801 - Speed Trap Prohibition:
No peace officer or other person shall use a speed trap in arresting, or participating or assisting in the arrest of, any person for any alleged violation of this code nor shall any speed trap be used in securing evidence as to the speed of any vehicle for the purpose of an arrest or prosecution under this code.

40803 - Speed Trap Evidence:
(a) No evidence as to the speed of a vehicle upon a highway shall be admitted in any court upon the trial of any person in any prosecution under this code upon a charge involving the speed of a vehicle when the evidence is based upon or obtained from or by the maintenance or use of a speedtrap.

40804 - Testimony Based on Speed Trap:
(a) In any prosecution under this code upon a charge involving the speed of a vehicle, any officer or other person shall be incompetent as a witness if the testimony is based upon or obtained from or by the maintenance or use of a speed trap.

(b) Every officer arresting, or participating or assisting in the
arrest of, a person so charged while on duty for the exclusive or
main purpose of enforcing the provisions of Divisions 10 and 11 is
incompetent as a witness if at the time of such arrest he was not
wearing a distinctive uniform, or was using a motor vehicle not
painted the distinctive color specified by the commissioner.
This section does not apply to an officer assigned exclusively to
the duty of investigating and securing evidence in reference to any
theft of a vehicle or failure of a person to stop in the event of an
accident or violation of Section 23109 or in reference to any felony
charge or to any officer engaged in serving any warrant when the
officer is not engaged in patrolling the highways for the purpose of
enforcing the traffic laws.

Take care,
-Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2002, 05:13 PM   #23
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

Exclamation Good Cop, Bad Cop

I agree with Robocop.

We need obviously need police enforcement of our laws more than ever, that's a given.

Most cops are decent people but the 'system' does change you for the worse. You deal with society's underbelly most of the time and the court system often makes all your work of catching a criminal and getting the proof you need to convict him thrown away on a technicality or with a no-jail plea bargain deal.

Of course every profession has a few nuts and weirdos but the nuts and weirdos with a badge can ruin your life with a felony charge or even kill you if you cross them so they are dangerous and should be weeded out promptly, but often are not, especially in smaller, politically-driven police departments.

The danger to a police officer is very real and present but one must also take into account that this is a job the officer applied for. He/she took tests to get into the academy and basically volunteered for it and often loves or at least doesn't wish to leave 'the force'. That doesn't make the danger any less real or deserved in any way, just a reminder that no one is forced to be a cop. There are other professions.

Finally, most law-abiding people only see a cop when they are pulled over for speeding or some other traffic infraction. It's scary (admit it) and of course no one wants an expensive ticket so we tend to see the cop as a bully, bad guy, whacko, mean, etc.

Maybe some are - they're human - but mostly it's just the negative impression we get from only dealing with the police when we're on the 'wrong side' of the (traffic) law. Understandable.

Police do a very dangerous, frustrating and necessary job in society. I respect them and I also respect their power and don't go out of my way to annoy them, as some do, thinking this shows how 'No one tells them what to do'. Right.

I believe that the smart, ambitious cops do the job right, stay out of trouble and move up the promotion ladder fairly quickly so the cops you meet on the street are not always the cream of the force, as it were. Something to keep in mind.

Chris, thanks for the post. Moving and informative and it reminds that behind the badge and the uniform is a vulnerable human being, doing a tough job, not getting rich, risking his life and too often being vilified for what he does.
Mr 5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2002, 09:17 PM   #24
Unit 5302
Registered Member

The city cops here start at about 50k a year, and they get their own car. Champlin has the ticket squad out in force constantly. Wonder how they pay for every officer to have his own car that he takes home at night, and a very good starting wage? LOL. Wait, no I don't (see ticket squad).

It's been a while since I've been pulled over in Champlin, course I do the speed limit too, and I keep my eyes peeled, big time. All in all, don't do anything wrong, and you'll probably make it a while before ticketing.

Police officers aren't necessarily bad when they are writing tickets. They get told what to do by their superiors, but I think they could probably write tickets for the real jerks (IE no turn signals) and the rest, not for 5mph over.

This cop dies, that cop dies. I have never been really affected by death. Everybody dies, and it's something people have to learn to deal with. How many bankers died last week? I bet you a couple kicked the bucket. There are highway workers that have more dangerous jobs, yet they don't get respect. I think the majority of bad cops out there have given a poor reputation to them all, and maybe it's a little self fufilling prophecy. I think if you hear you are an jerk enough, maybe you become one. Regardless, I think on average a lot more jerks become cops than other occupations for the lure of power.

That being said, I don't really like hearing about people dying.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2002, 11:44 AM   #25
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

Smile Good cop, bad cop Part II

Unit

I don't think $50,000. is unjustified for a job that can have you killed at any given traffic stop or domestic disturbance so I can't begrudge that salary and taxpayers must not mind paying it, either.

As for comparing bankers and policmen killed; how many dead bankers were shot to death by the people they dealt with?

As I said, for all the power it conveys, being a cop is a crappy job. Aside from the risk to your life, you have to deal with the worst of society most of the time and people are either intimidated by you or hate your guts and would kill you if they could get away with it.

Not a career choice I would make, just to give out some traffic tickets and act tough once in awhile or to have a police car to take home. Not for 50 large per annum, either. There are other ways to make money that don't put you in the worst neighborhoods at night or subject you to very possible death as part of your eight hours.

Still, cops do volunteer for the duty and most love it or at least feel a loyalty to the force that few others can understand. We clearly need cops and for most of us, they may be annoying sometimes but they are very necessary - and underappreciated - just because they write traffic tickets. The least part of what they do but the one that most of us have to deal with sooner or later and this seems to form the basis for our often low opinions of cops. Too bad.
Mr 5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2002, 12:54 PM   #26
Crazy Horse GT
Registered Member

everyday cop's are like army soilder's, yes you took the job, but your are in a war zone everyday, not just every few year's, who here hates hillie he's a cop & a da-n cool one i might add, yes some of them are a---oles, but dont we meet a--holes everywhere, i do, he-l i may be one myself, oh yeah odie just told me i am. well, just a jk, but i would'nt want their job myself.

04 sonic blue v - six my beater
89 rs camaro iroc turbo hood, other stuff, my wifes ride
84 lx stang cammed up 289 hi po, etc
65 falcon, maybe by the year 2020.

black 00gt, gone but never forgotten.

R H C- member # 1
o.b.c. da prez- member # 1 if your under 40 dont ask.
goodbye for now odie,r.i.p. 11-27-03
Crazy Horse GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2002, 06:13 PM   #27
Unit 5302
Registered Member

I'm not saying a police officers job isn't dangerous, or that they shouldn't be compensated for it. Just that not all cops are minimum wage guys living off food stamps becoming cops out of the desire to help people. I do disagree that police who are hired with less than stellar training and schooling deserve to make $50k a year (starting). The police here have at least a two year degree, (most have 4 years) formal training, and they've worked to get into the position they are at. Not all states and cities require a 4 year to be a police officer, etc. Hiring some kid off the street 21 years old with no college isn't what I would consider a person who should make $50k starting. $50k down the road a few years, who knows? Maybe they are really good.

While nobody has a choice on HOW they die for sure, doing certain things can certainly reduce the chances of certain ways of dying. Constantly putting themselves in the line of fire and then having people complain about the dangers of the job are kind of stupid to me. There are risks with every job. If you're not willing to take them, don't.

I'd have to agree about it being a crappy job in my eyes. If a police officer thinks their job stinks, they can always get a different one. It's nothing like the military. You can't just up and leave the military anytime you feel like it, and as a cop you generally have an idea where you'll be for the day, week, month, year etc.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2002, 05:26 AM   #28
Robocop
Registered Member

Unit 5302 is correct when he says that an officer can change jobs if he is unhappy, however, I've seen many leave only to return. I think that most cops cannot get the job out of their system. It's sad to say but a lot of cops become addicted to the whole 'authority thing' and simply have a hard time adjusting to the feeling of having no authority.

The issue about pay varies greatly from state to state as I have been a police for 5 years and made 38k this past year - and that figure includes a little overtime. I do know other places that make much more but I really think that most cops really don't do it for money. I took a 15k per year pay cut after leaving a job of 11 years to become a cop. I became hooked on the adrenaline rush after doing a few ride-a-longs. Most decent cops are hooked on this rush but also sad to say many do it for the feeling of having control over everyday people.

I like the way Mr 5 0 said most cops you see on the street are not the best of the group. This is mostly correct as a police officer with an attitude to harass people could not do this from a detective's position and therefore never attempts to advance. In my dept we can usually spot the problem people quickly and they're usually educated by veteran officers on the correct way to police. Sadly, some never learn and are usually fired after showing a pattern of abuse.

I enjoy reading the mixed reviews of police on this forum and think that the way members express their feelings without hate shows a lot about the quality and class of the people that make up this site. I've learned a lot about my wonderful car and about people in general.

Thanks.
Old 04-22-2002, 09:58 AM   #29
Mstngscoob
Registered Member

i live in Fayetteville nc home of some of the most ignorent and stupid cops known to man kind. My uncle happens to be a cop and i have been on many ride alongs with him. he is one of the funniest coolest down to earth people you will ever meet. but what you have to realize is that when people look at you as an ***$hole from the start they will treat you like one. some people do this and it makes these cops feel like everyone hates them. now i must say i would be an ***$hole too if i was always treated as if i was one. i work as a janitor cleaning car dealerships at night and this has introduced me to a lot of officers. and like tireburner said, they are all PEOPLE. they are just trying to do their job. i have had many many many run ins with the law and i can say that if you treat them with respect MOST(not all) will do the same for you

2001 suzuki gsxr-600 yoshi pipe, tint screen, helmet, flsh mnts. 4-sale
Mstngscoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2002, 10:02 AM   #30
Mstngscoob
Registered Member

mr 50 i will have to agree with you on the point of being a cop is a crappy job. i even confronted my uncle as well as other cops about this and i get the same answer from all of them "Being a police officer is not a job it is a calling"

2001 suzuki gsxr-600 yoshi pipe, tint screen, helmet, flsh mnts. 4-sale
Mstngscoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2002, 06:25 PM   #31
todd95GT
Registered Member

Default HEY ALL!!!

For those of you reading this far, I am the friend of Chris' that sent him that e-mail. Chris, thank you. Reading the majority of the posts in reply to Chris' letter was not surprising. Negativity from the majority is expected. I did not become a police officer for an adrenaline rush. I didn't do it to drive fast with my lights whirling around and the siren on. I certainly didn't do it to carry a gun and abuse the badge I wear. I became a cop and love my job because I enjoy making people smile when their problems are solved. I enjoy the mental challenge that I endure constantly, making decisions that will effect someone's life forever, whether that be taking them to jail, writing a ticket, laying my hands on them, or using deadly force.
No, I was not forced into this job by any means. Was it a calling? Absolutely. My father is in his 37th year as a cop, and since my childhood, I couldn't think of anything else to do with my life that interested me as much.
Do I make a fortune? No. Do I care about that? Not really. That's what retirement is for. I can always make it then. Do I work crappy hours and have to work holidays? Yep. Do I care? Again, I knew that was the case when I took my oath.
I won't argue other people's perspectives. There are good and bad in every single profession in existence. Certainly this one is not exempt.
Speed traps: I only have one comment to make and of course, everyone is entitled to his or her opinion. But, me personally, I don't form one until I know all sides. If I did, I wouldn't be doing my job very effectively. I have certainly sat behind the trees in my bright-as-day marked cruiser with a laser or a radar gun and zapped traffic whizzing by. Depending on the street, I am fairly leniant in exercising my authority to issue citations. However, what the daily commuter doesn't see is the body of the child that was scraped off of the utility pole that was just blown by, only days before the ticket was written to the offender. Speed limits are posted for a reason. In Florida, we can not write a ticket for 5 mph over or less. Does that mean I'd write one for six mph? Absolutely not. Could I? Absolutely can. That is, after all, part of what I get paid for.
Do I think that departments should require a degree to justify the pay? Nope. And I have my degree. It doesn't make anyone smarter than the next person and smarts doesn't make a good cop. What does can not be taught. Instinct, rational thought, and common sense makes a productive, helpful officer. The money we make comes from the tax payers of the city. I don't get a free toaster for writing a slew of tickets, nor do I get raises or any type of merit for writing more than anyone else.
But don't forget: right now in your neighborhood, someone is beating his or her significant other. Someone is stealing from the local store. Someone is being raped. Someone is being murdered. If we could set up "rape traps", we would. Same goes for every other crime. Most can not be prevented and our legal system has proven to be anything but a detterent.
Before a new server is needed because of my rambling, thank you for the kind words said by most, and to those with not so kind words, I hope you don't have bury two friends in one week for doing something they love to do: helping other people, maybe even your family. I have the utmost respect for anyone who lives a productive, contributory lifestyle. Are there other dangerous professions? Sure. There are jobs more dangerous. I wouldn't want to be fighting in a Afghani cave right now, that's for sure. But like many have said, until I've done your job, I won't knock it. Even if your job has a negative effect on my life, someone has to do it.
Take care all and thanks again Chris. As far as us being normal people, of course we are. Give me a few months and I'll be adding an intercooled Procharger to my Cobra look-alike.
~Todd
Old 04-26-2002, 02:49 AM   #32
PKRWUD

Welcome back, Todd. It's good to see you here again.

Take care,
-Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2002, 03:25 AM   #33
ArcticLS1
Registered Member

Saying ALL cops are assholes on a power trip is ignorant to say. Thats like saying everyone from the general public is either a crack head, murder or child molaster.
"Assholes on power trips are all over the place. Even the manager at Burger King gets off on his little bit of authority at the whopper house. There are teachers that get off the little bit of authority they have over students, the grocery store manager gets off on the little bit of authority over the cashier lines he is in charge of and the high school student under him who he hired as bag boys.. Thes people might not have an admirable a,ount of authority, but im not kidding when i say these people GET OFF on this... The only difference is a cop has REAL authority and these other peoples little bit of authority isnt as great. Thats why cops are more so hated by the general public.. Noone else can enforce laws or take away anyones freedom other then a cop or temporily deprive anyone of there freedom to walk away... And yes, a few cops have power trips, but so does EVERYOTHER profession. You just dont see it as much, becaus a security guard cant stop you from speeding, a teacher cant arrest you for driving under suspension, mr whopper house cant arrest you for not paying for your whopper. Most of these people are also required by policy to be 'nice' to you and cops arent required to provide service with a smile.

Last edited by ArcticLS1; 04-27-2002 at 03:31 AM..
ArcticLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 02:04 PM   #34
NeedleBender
Registered Member

Default Re: Hate Cops?

i hope that he was a good man and not like the avegae local cops in my area. on the other hand i wouldnt wish death upon even the worst of cops
353 @ the wheels ($3500)
Forced Induction (12psi) ($6000)
Xenon Body Kit ($700)
Bassani Exhaust ($800)
12.2 @ 113 (about $45,000)
Balls enough to use it. . .priceless
NeedleBender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 11:47 PM   #35
bmxmon
Registered Member

I entered into my towns car parade last year, and one of the guys is pretty well know, and has a nice muscle car. One of the cops was telling us when to go, and when the well know guy was up (frank), the cop told him, "let em rip Frank." Needless to say, he did a big burnout, right on mainstreet. That parade sucked for me, my stang overheated and thats when the rearend started making funny noises.... The only other stang in the parade overheated too, lol.
bmxmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 02:36 AM   #36
rwhite65
Ride Hard

It seems to me the overwhelming majority of upset people are unhappy over a traffic issue. Speed traps, ticket happy cops..all inspire the fear that around the next bend might be that cop. This apprehension of receiving the ticket is what keeps people slowed down.

It is impossible to make everyone happy. So when someone gets a ticket in the apparently "not busy neighborhood", they are upset. But the woman inside her home, tired of people speeding by her house as her child plays, is jumping with joy.

Todd95gt - I feel for you. We just had a female Officer from a local community die in a traffic crash. Nothing tears me up like the sound of those bag pipes.

As for the California laws, I can assure you that is quite the opposite of good ole Illinois.

04 Grand Cherokee Freedom Edition

79 Ford F-250 4x4 - Restored
rwhite65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 11:15 PM   #37
NeedleBender
Registered Member

dude i got a triple digit speed ticket one night for something like that. there was a state trooper hiding behind some pampas grass in like the divider of a highway and he got me. plus it was night time so it was even harder for me to see him. as you can see from my profile i live in tx, whats the word with the no hiding law in TX?
353 @ the wheels ($3500)
Xenon Body Kit ($700)
Bassani Exhaust ($800)
NeedleBender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 08:52 AM   #38
~The Jester~
Rat Killer

I'm a professional firefighter, and consequently know a bunch of cops, in fact some of my best friends are cops. I run into situations that "normal" people run out of, for a living. Fires, medical calls with "body fluids" all over the place, Haz-Mat calls with a tanker of "Methyl-Ethyl-Death" spilled on the street.

You could not pay me enough money to be a cop.

What a crappy job. Disrespected by most of the general public, hated by some. Thankless hours spent training, interveining into domestic situations. Not knowing what that person in the driver's seat in front of the cruiser has in his lap. A gun? A beer? A knife? Chasing speeding drunks to make the streets safe for ME, hoping noone else gets hurt in the process. Trying to keep drugs and guns off the street so MY kid can walk to school safely. For what? So the media can flambe' you when that drunk you were chasing crashes into another car and kills someone innocent. Yet these men and women do their thankless jobs with such passion and vigor. It's certainly not for the pay. It's just the way they are.

Being a firefighter, I don't have it easy either. But I could never be a police officer. My close friend (who's a cop) and I had this argument over and over again, and I always ended it the same way.
I'd tell him this:

"When the cops show up, SOMEONE doesn't want you there. When the firefighter shows up, EVERYONE is glad to see him"

God's speed to all of the officers out there trying to keep this crazy world a safe place for US to live.

MICE need not apply.....

~The Jester~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 08:46 PM   #39
mustangII460
Factoy Five Roadster

Ive been to more police/fire funerals than I want to remember. Bottom line they are the saddest event you will ever attend. Even worse, if you watched their death and it was a fellow officer. All officers are family wether they know eachother or not. Its always sad to hear of one fall on or off duty. We wear mourning bands to honor those who have fallen, known or not.

After Army service I became a member of the "Thin blue line." Its been a roller coaster ride ever since. Ive been cuss'd, spit on,shot at, kissed, hugged and bought lunch all in one day. What doesn't kill you, will make you stronger.

Becomming a cop was a calling for me. Do I want any sympathy? no. Do I want any respect?,no. Do I want any thanks? certinly not. I do it to help people who can't help themselfs and for the satisfaction of knowing I might have saved a life. Wether that life was not breathing or didn't know Jesus.

Do I hate cop? yes. I hate myself often because sometimes no matter how hard I try, I can't help someone/something. Its in Gods hands then. We have a tendency to blame ourselfs for which we can't control. Harsh? maybe, but thats what I signed up for, good or bad.

Cop in a Cobra.
Old 01-13-2005, 11:04 PM   #40
NeedleBender
Registered Member

wow, ill keep that in mind
353 @ the wheels ($3500)
Xenon Body Kit ($700)
Bassani Exhaust ($800)