Thread: Hate Cops?
View Single Post
Old 04-20-2002, 05:26 AM   #28
Robocop
Registered Member

Unit 5302 is correct when he says that an officer can change jobs if he is unhappy, however, I've seen many leave only to return. I think that most cops cannot get the job out of their system. It's sad to say but a lot of cops become addicted to the whole 'authority thing' and simply have a hard time adjusting to the feeling of having no authority.

The issue about pay varies greatly from state to state as I have been a police for 5 years and made 38k this past year - and that figure includes a little overtime. I do know other places that make much more but I really think that most cops really don't do it for money. I took a 15k per year pay cut after leaving a job of 11 years to become a cop. I became hooked on the adrenaline rush after doing a few ride-a-longs. Most decent cops are hooked on this rush but also sad to say many do it for the feeling of having control over everyday people.

I like the way Mr 5 0 said most cops you see on the street are not the best of the group. This is mostly correct as a police officer with an attitude to harass people could not do this from a detective's position and therefore never attempts to advance. In my dept we can usually spot the problem people quickly and they're usually educated by veteran officers on the correct way to police. Sadly, some never learn and are usually fired after showing a pattern of abuse.

I enjoy reading the mixed reviews of police on this forum and think that the way members express their feelings without hate shows a lot about the quality and class of the people that make up this site. I've learned a lot about my wonderful car and about people in general.

Thanks.