MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-26-2001, 10:54 PM   #1
bigwhitecobra
Huh? Whatcha said?

Smile Have you driven a Viper lately?

I don't know why I haven't posted this before, but about 2 years ago I was living in Indianapolis, and working at a Kenworth dealer. I had been working there about 3 months when the owner of the place came up to me and asked if I'd go and pickup his new car. I agreed, and had the shop foreman drive to the Dodge dealer just outside of Indy.
When I told the service manager who I was and what I was doing there, he gave me this very odd look. Looking back, I guess I would have too.
He took me to the delivery area, and there, sitting in all her glory, begging to to driven, was this beautiful piece of machinery I have ever gazed upon. It was a brand new, red, Dodge Viper GTS.
It had 1.4 miles on the odometer. When I dropped it off, It had 57.5 miles on it, and it was only 25 or so miles away.
As I pulled her out onto the highway, I dropped it into first and came to a relative stop, and then nailed the go pedal. The feeling I had could only be described as one of pure bliss. Grabbing second, she let me know just what she thought of the tires, as they were now just fuel for her smoking pleasure. Third, finding some resembleance of traction, I shot to 90mph faster than I could comprehend. Fourth was more hospitible, yet at will, I could have gotten her out of shape. Around this time I was running out of road, as I had entered the highway at more than 120mph, and was still gaining. The cars ahead of me were getting out of the way as fast as they could, but in this car, it was not fast enough, I has to brake....hard.
I wish all of you could have this experiance, it truely is one of the greatest cars in the world. The owner of the Kenworth dealership never did ask me about the extra miles on it, but he did ask if it performed like it should. I never did know what to say to that.

------------------
The Black Mamba 11.2@124
94 Cobra- MAC cold air fender kit, Motorsport underdrive pulley's, MAC 21/2" off-road H pipe, SVO mufflers, 3.73 gears, E-303 cam, 13.417@101.335mph
bigwhitecobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2001, 11:26 PM   #2
Five0
Registered Member

SWEET! I would love to drive one of those.

------------------
James Cox
nochevy@hotmail.com
1991 Mustang LX
12.565 @109.38mph 1.764 60ft
Five0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2001, 12:15 AM   #3
KidNotch4793
Registered Member

Talking

Very Sweet!! It is my dream to be able to drive a Viper some day. There is a Dodge dealer right by me that usually has a Viper or two sitting outside when the weather is nice. I just drive by and drool.

------------------
KidNotch4793
1993 LX 5.0 Notchback
Eddlebrock intake,K&N, 70mm,Underdrive pullies, Jacobson ignition, Borla,3:73's, Subframe connectors, Hurst shifter, Centerforce, Saleen Wing, Cobra Badges.
KidNotch4793 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2001, 12:47 AM   #4
Token Right Guy
Registered Member

The question I have is...who got back to the Kenworth dealer first, you going 50 miles or the other emloyee going 25 miles?
Also, were you 'on the clock'(paid)for that trip? Like it matters...I'd jump at the chance!
Token Right Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2001, 01:06 AM   #5
bigwhitecobra
Huh? Whatcha said?

Cool

He got back first. I had to run by a friends house and my girlfriend at the time's house. If I didn't, no one would believe me. I even took a few pics, and I have them out in the storage building somewhere.(the wife wouldn't like it 'cause my ex-girlfriend is in them)
And yes, I got paid for it, but I did have to put gas in it, which sucked. But oh well right?!?
Old 03-27-2001, 09:06 AM   #6
88GT5.013.02

Yeah my dad works and the Connor Avenue Assembly plant in Detroit where they make them(and the Prowlers). His first couple of years there they had a "Viper family picnic", where all of the employees and their families would come and drive the cars (along with other Chrysler products, they had a 4x4 track with mud and Grand Cherokees to drive). It was out at Chelsea Proving grouds.

It was awesome, except I was not old enough to drive. But I rode shotgun with my brother who could bang gears with the best of them. What a ride. They handle like you wouldn't believe.

I made the mistake of riding with this guy named Johanssen (he was German or something) he was an engineer at Jeep Truck Engineering. We went around to the back stretch and he nailed it in fourth gear and pulled up to about 140-150, wow! My sister got to ride in a "special car", had a wing on the back and special suspension, and went 175, that was with head engineer Roy Sjoberg (sp?).

Sorry it was so long, but I had to share this. BTW, my dad gets to drive them every day at the plant.

------------------
88GT stock shortblock, GT-40 iron heads, Edlebrock Performer intake, 24# inj, Pro-M 75mm Bullet MAM, 3.73, hurst short throw, F-303, electric fan, alum rad, FMS HD clutch, R134a ac conversion, 70mm TB , and some other stuff I probably forgot, 13.02@106 with a 1.87 60ft
Old 03-27-2001, 09:08 AM   #7
stizzity
Registered Member

Vipers are truely extraordinary cars. The sound, the feel, the look, not like anything else. I had the privilge of driving one of these fine beauties last summer. It was on the small island of Put-in-Bay in Lake Erie, when one of the guests at my hotel brought 97 GTS over. I was in awe when he parked it out in front and walked in. Even before he could ask about his room I asked about his car. We talked for 10 minutes or so and he asked me if I wanted to drive it after I got off work. I was stoked. When I got done working I found him and off we went. The island is only 3 miles long and a mile wide at it's widest points with many hills and only two long strips of straight road. So off we went.

You have to understand that Put-in-Bay is a major tourist (read drinking) island and golfcarts and bikes are allowed on the roads. So these things create obstacles. First we went out on the longest stretch of road. The speed limit was only 50, but we were pulling 80 before I shut her down. People on golf carts and bikes were pulling off the road as fast as they could. It was insane because everything just seemed to slow down instead of being a blur.

Next we headed out to one of the roads with a lot of curves. The car handled great. She hugged the road tightly as we hurdled through turns. Finally we finished with a cruise down the main street, revving it up and doing a burnout while 10,000 people on the street just watched. It was really a rush. But like all good things it had to end. So we went back to the hotel and parted ways. He said he was going to be back this year, hopefully with a new Viper. If not thats ok, because the old one was just great.
stizzity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2001, 09:38 AM   #8
Try Me
Registered Member

Talking

Reminds me of last year when my mom's ex-boyfriend bought a brand new Corevtte convertible. I put about 20,000 cliks on it that year. I felt like did BIGWHITECOBRA, the coolest guy in the world!

And i too, stopped at everybody's place i knew just to show off :-)
Try Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2001, 06:23 PM   #9
Fox Body
Mustang Maniac

All you guys that have driven Vipers (especially GTS's),

I HATE ALL OF YOU!!! (that is until I am able to drive a Viper too )

-------------------------------
'79 Mustang Coup
4" Cowl
Weld wheels (15x6;15x8)
Stock 5.8L
C4 w/ shift kit
1.5" MAC full length headers
Holley 750 CFM
Edelbrock intake
2.5" Off road H-pipe, 2-chamber Flowmasters
8.8" Rear end w/ 3.55 gears (Now that's more like it!!)
Front: 225/60/15 Rear: 255/60/15 Eagle GT II
14 x 4” K&N air filter (getting the Xtreme setup soon)

"Red, thou art my companion. Hasten now your quickened metamorphosis to Green that I may conquer all who dare abide there beside me. May they be left thither behind burnt black." ---Fox Body
Fox Body is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2001, 07:03 PM   #10
Rev
Registered Member

The place where I go in Houston to get my car dynoed is a Viper shop. When I last went, they were just taking a Viper off the dyno. While they were setting mine up, I asked the guy how the Viper did? He said it developed 600 hp on the motor and 900 with N2O. What a monster that would be on the street or the track. That's what this place does though, builds monster Vipers for people all over the USA.

Rev

------------------
'66 Coupe, 306, 300 HP, C-4, 13.97 e.t., 100.3 mph
1/4 mi.
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2001, 10:44 AM   #11
Stefan
Registered Member

Wink

We were doing some image ads for our Ford Dealer last October and we were shooting all the premium cars on the lot (of course the Mustang was included) and the Viper was one of them. So when we were finished with it I gently opened the door and slid in. I'm not that tall so it was a good fit. I ran my hand across the dash and then over the steering wheel. Quickly I dropped down and turned the key. She rumbled. My pulse quickened and I knew the time was right. As if it was second nature I stabbed the throttle a few times only to be rewarded with the sweet music-like rumble of her exhaust. I was blind with power... which only mad the eight foot drive to the parking space suck...
I was king for 38.5 seconds.
Oh well, technically I drove one

------------------
66 Tahoe Turquoise Coupe
Laser Red 96GT Ragtop
30 Years & 30 inches apart in the driveway!
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2001, 11:34 AM   #12
SkarodoM
Registered Member

Cool

oh mah gawd you bastard!

The old man has a '00 or '01 blk/blk/blk 'vert m6 vette... hes only let me drive it 2x..

Im still waiting to wax him in the 'maro burning out over 120mph.. haw haw haw

Phil
Jerico Performance
SkarodoM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2001, 04:44 PM   #13
bigwhitecobra
Huh? Whatcha said?

Hey you!! I stopped in at Jerico yesterday and you had the day off. what kind of poop is that? A day off in the middle of the week?
Old 03-28-2001, 04:52 PM   #14
SkarodoM
Registered Member

Cool

lol!

i was like.. 1.5miles away at home just enjoying a day of nothing =)

Had errands to run so i didnt go in at all!

goin to track thursday? lemme know =) Tonight i hafta go to a buds and help him with his stuffs i think.. and ugh, im no longer a teenager today... sucks to not be able to use that excuse anymore!

Phil
Jerico Performance
Old 03-28-2001, 04:57 PM   #15
bigwhitecobra
Huh? Whatcha said?

Well, happy birfday! Do you realize that after you hit 21 nothing else special happens until you hit 65? Depressing thought huh?
I have no idea if I am going to the track. If I do, I won't be running the Cobra. She's starting to burn oil. That and she has a bit of detonation at about 45-5K. Not too sure why, but I think I need to back off the timing to 12*. Anyway, If you go up there, then you might be able to twist my arm! lol
Later.
Old 03-28-2001, 05:04 PM   #16
SkarodoM
Registered Member

Cool

Well if i am able to go put the slicks on those extra wheels tonight then i'll go, i probably wont tho. I may head just to watch however.. may go help brooke with his car too.. he should have the motor out of it by now.. 383lt1 going in it now.. with a nice nx kit he picked up.

Should go pretty good =) Cam is slightly smaller than mine, but even tho its larger disp. it'll still sound good i think =)

We shall see...

Phil
Jerico Performance
Old 03-28-2001, 08:56 PM   #17
StangFlyer
Founder

Well, I haven't had the pleasure of experiencing the rush of driving a Viper. However, I have had the utter joy and satisfaction of annihilating one with my Mustang on the expressway. Guess Dodge didn't factor in 800 HP highly modified Mustangs when they designed their pride and joy...

------------------
Dan McClain, Editor
The Mustang Works Magazine
1991 Mustang GT - NOVI Supercharged 377 Stroker
1999 Ford Lightning SVT - 2000 Prototype updated by Roush
StangFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2001, 03:07 PM   #18
'GearHead'
Registered Member

Thumbs up

Well I had the pleasure of driving a 2000 GTS last summer, 32KM on the clock. To be honest I thought it was fast, but I wasn't amazed. I guess I had heard so much and expected to be absolutley blown away, and I wasn't. Don't get me wrong, it is one hell of a cool car, but up here it listed at $109,000, and I think you could get a lot more car for the money.

Here I am...

------------------
93 LX Special Feature, 88 LX Notch, 96 Impala SS, 87 S15 w/350,
88 Buick LeSabre T-Type

My Web Site
'GearHead' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2001, 04:08 PM   #19
bigwhitecobra
Huh? Whatcha said?

It's not that they are that fast, it's that it's that fast from the factory. Sure, the Viper only has 400-450hp, and even mildly modded Mustangs can whoop up on'em, but when was the last time an American car company put out that much power in one car?
He11, I'd love to drive the new S7 from Saleen, even though I could probably out run it on a track. It's just a cause for excitement from us few who care about cars this much.
I hope this made some sense, I have a habit of rambling off the subject. Anywho, if given the chance, I'd drive one every day.
Old 03-29-2001, 04:15 PM   #20
'GearHead'
Registered Member

Thumbs up

I would drive one everyday too. And you are right gotta admire an american (actually German now ) company that actually has the guts to make a car like this.

I may get another chance, I promised my Uncle and his son a ride in one, if I ever had the chance.

~Chad.

------------------
93 LX Special Feature, 88 LX Notch, 96 Impala SS, 87 S15 w/350,
88 Buick LeSabre T-Type

My Web Site
'GearHead' is offline   Reply With Quote