MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 02-19-2002, 04:10 PM   #1
82 GT
Import Slayer

Default separating ball joints and tie rod ends...best way?

What is the best method to separate ball joints and tie rod ends?
I have heard of using ball joint forks, using a hammer and a twp prong puller. I don't think the hammer is a good choice.
I also heard that the lower ball joints on 79-93 mustangs are not replaceable unless you replace the whole control arms. Is that true? I want to use the best tool that won't damage anything in case I can use those parts again.
'82 GT 351W (.060)Comp Cams 274* Extreme Energy cam, ported & polished heads w/ 1.94/1.60 valves 10.3:1 flat top pistons,stealth intake, Mallory dizzy,Holley 750dp carb, BBK shorties,Flowmaster exhaust,C-4 with 3700 stall converter, B&M pro shifter,8.8 rear, 4:10's, subframes, electric fan, powermaster alternator, 4 core radiator.
82 GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2002, 07:30 PM   #2
crazy5.0
Registered Member

A two jaw puller is the best. That's what I used and that's what my Haynes manual says to use. You will have to replace the whole control arms not the bushings alone.
driveshaft,Asp
underdrives,Flowmast
er 3 chamber,March
ram air,130 amp
alternator,Koni yellow
struts,Kyb
shocks,Pirelli p-6000's,MM's lower control arms and full length subs
crazy5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2002, 10:23 PM   #3
82 GT
Import Slayer

How come all those aftermarket bushing kits come with both sets of ball joints when they know darn well that you can't replace the lowers without replacing the control arms?
I read an article somewhere that showed a guy replacing the lower ball joints by cutting the stock joints that are held in by rivets and installling aftermarket ball joints that bolt in.
'82 GT 351W (.060)Comp Cams 274* Extreme Energy cam, ported & polished heads w/ 1.94/1.60 valves 10.3:1 flat top pistons,stealth intake, Mallory dizzy,Holley 750dp carb, BBK shorties,Flowmaster exhaust,C-4 with 3700 stall converter, B&M pro shifter,8.8 rear, 4:10's, subframes, electric fan, powermaster alternator, 4 core radiator.
Old 02-20-2002, 01:32 PM   #4
Tim89LXvert
Registered Member

You CAN replace just the ball joint. Just get the ball joint press from Autozone's rent-a-tool, and it is not hard.

I have done ball joints and control arm bushing on mine, and my buddy's cars.

When we separated them from the spindle I used a pickle fork and a hammer since we were replacing them. If you don't want to replace them, get the proper tool from Autozone's rent-a-tool.
Engine: GT40 al. heads, Cobra intake, TFS cam, 1.7RR, etc.... LOLDrivetrain: SPEC II clutch & FMS Billet flywheel, Pro 5.0 shifter w/Cobra knob and aluminum driveshaft through 3.73:1 gears.Chassis: 4 wheel disk w/Cobra front brakes, GT rears and 2001 "Bullitt" wheels
Rear: MM adjustable LCAs with Griggs springs, KYB shocks. Front: Koni red struts, FMS "C" springs and full poly bushings. Full length MM sub frame connectors, steeda 2pt. K-brace.Misc.: 130a alt. upgrade, R134a conversion.
Photos of my car
Tim89LXvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2002, 06:45 PM   #5
PKRWUD

They're called ball joint seperators. See picture:

FWIW, I had a customer once with a Chevy van that needed a new steering box. I had to pull the tie rod off the ball joint on one side. I tried for an hour to get them apart with a pickle fork and a single jack sledge hammer with no luck. The owner came out and handed me a ball joint seperator that was his personal tool, and let me use it. Before it was even tight, the tie rod popped off. That afternoon I went and bought two of them.

Take care,
-Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2002, 08:47 PM   #6
mean81GT
Registered Member

pkrwud, that quote about lack of planning at the end of your sig, where does that come from, it sound's very familiar?

ps. 82 GT i will have to come see you when i come to Millville next time around. my wife's family is from there, and we come to the parade every year. we stay in the red roof inn in danville every time.
Old 02-20-2002, 09:13 PM   #7
PKRWUD

I couldn't say. I first heard it a good 20+ years ago, but I don't remember where.

Maybe it's time to change it.

Take care,
-Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2002, 04:07 PM   #8
82 GT
Import Slayer

No disrespect MEAN 81GT, but there is no such thing as an 81 GT
The GT didn't return until 1982
Old 02-22-2002, 03:56 PM   #9
mean81GT
Registered Member

i know that. suspension, brakes, wheels, tires, everything that makes a GT a GT, is in my car, transferred from an 84 and an 85 GT. It is easier to call my car a GT than it is to list every part that made my car a GT equivalent.

they didn't come with 5.0's either, but i have that too.

Last edited by mean81GT; 02-22-2002 at 04:02 PM..
mean81GT is offline   Reply With Quote