MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-25-2001, 02:41 PM   #1
Gautam
Registered Member

Post What manual/reference book to get?

Hi,
Ok, I finally bought one Mustang 5.0 reference book, titled "The Official Mustang 5.0 Technical Reference and Performance Handbook" by Al Kirschenbaum. This book is great and it shows many parts and things found on the 5.0L, however it doesn't have detailed information on adding mods, working with electrical components, etc.

Anywho, I am looking to get a repair manual for my 89 5.0L LX, and I dunno what to get. Should I get the Haynes or Chilton manual? Or is there anything better?

What do you all recommend? I am mainly looking for the mother-of-all (if there is one) repair manuals for the 5.0L.

Thanks!
Bye!

------------------
Gautam N. Lad
http://www.cubicdesign.com
http://www.cubicdesign.com/mustang/
Gautam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2001, 03:45 PM   #2
buddha
Registered Member

I have the Charles Probst maunual, and it has everything I need in it. While it doesn't really provide the mechanical how to, like brakes and such, it does have all of the electrical stuff you will need to know.

It has wiring diagrams, electrical tests, diagnosis and troubleshooting , and the trouble codes for the self test. It is definitely worth the 20 bucks I spent on it.
buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2001, 06:03 PM   #3
cleangreenmachine

Gautam-

In addition to the book you just mentioned, which is great, I also have the Haynes manual. It's pretty good but I feel it could have even more information. For about $25 you could have both the Chilton's and Haynes. If you go for the Chilton's, I would get one from their "total car care" series rather than the older style.

Also, does Mitchell's (sp?) make a book for the Mustang? Might want to check those out. Had one of those for my Grand Prix and it was very thorough.

Hope this helps...

------------------
Greg
91 LX Convertible
Old 03-26-2001, 10:16 AM   #4
R-MODEL
Registered Member

Cool

I went and bought the ford manual form car, the complete set with electricals, its great, it gives you all the part numbers even.

------------------
1994 Mustang GT with 110K miles, ported cobra intake, ported edlebrock heads, 1 3/4" long tube, b303 cam, 2 chamber flowmasters, cobra-r wheels, cobra front brake kit, saleen wing, recaro seats, radar detector, etc.
R-MODEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2001, 02:26 PM   #5
84_GT350
Registered Member

Hands down the factory service manuals are the best for repairs and whatnot. Expensive though at about $80 per set (there's about 4 volumes...electrical, chassis, powertrain, etc.). The book by Charles Probst that buddha mentioned is great for any type of electrical work and comes in 2 volumes to cover different years. If you'd like, I can give you a complete list of all the books I have. I work in a book store and, to my knowledge, have all the Mustang and Ford books from major publishers. They take up an entire shelf on my book case along with all my other tech books.

------------------
1984 1/2 GT350 (#842 Hatchback w/ T-tops), 302HO, Comp cams Xtreme Energy cam, Carter 625cfm carb, Weiand Stealth intake, MSD distributor, MSD coil, FMS 9mm wires, 1 5/8" MAC unequal shorties, 2 1/2" MAC Prochamber H-pipe, Flowmaster 2 chambers, KYBs, 16"x8" 4 lug Cobra Rs, Falken 245/45ZR16s
84_GT350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2001, 10:27 AM   #6
Gautam
Registered Member

Hi,
Well, I wasn't just referring to electricals only, but rather information on anything/everything, like suspension, interior, engine, etc.

I will look into Haynes first, and see what I can do. BTW, There is no Haynes manual for the Mustang only is there? Cuz all I seem to see is the Haynes covers the Fox Mustang and Capri.

Thanks!
Bye!

------------------
Gautam N. Lad
http://www.cubicdesign.com
http://www.cubicdesign.com/mustang/
Gautam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2001, 03:13 AM   #7
84_GT350
Registered Member

I'm more a fan of Chilton's than Haynes. They seem to be a little easier to follow/understand and I think their pictures are better. That's just me though.

------------------
1984 1/2 GT350 (#842 Hatchback w/ T-tops), 302HO, Comp cams Xtreme Energy cam, Carter 625cfm carb, Weiand Stealth intake, MSD distributor, MSD coil, FMS 9mm wires, 1 5/8" MAC unequal shorties, 2 1/2" MAC Prochamber H-pipe, Flowmaster 2 chambers, KYBs, 16"x8" 4 lug Cobra Rs, Falken 245/45ZR16s
84_GT350 is offline   Reply With Quote