MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 01-12-2001, 11:20 AM   #1
Gautam
Registered Member

Unhappy HELP : Headlight switch problem!

Hi,
Ok, I haven't tampered with the electrical so I dunno what this could be. Anywho, I noticed a few days ago my 89 5.0L's headlight switch has gone awry.

If I push the switch once, the console lights (and side lights outside come on). If the switch is pushed all the way, the headlights (and console) lights come on. But mine doesn't do this anymore. What happens is, if I push once, nothing comes on. If I push twice, headlights come on, but the console and side lights outside don't come on. In order to make things work the way they should, I have to turn headlights on, and then move the switch just a little bit back. I don't wanna keep doing this cuz I dunno if it could cause a short or something bad in the long run.

My main guess is there's a bad connection at the switch, and I don't exactly know how to diagnose this problem.

Should I do this myself or have someone look at it? Should I remove the dash and see what could be wrong?

Please help; I know jack sh*t about electrical stuff and last thing I wanna do is short something. It's a good thing I don't drive much at night, but I'm taking the car to work tonight (I finish at 10pm), and tomorrow night (I finish at 7pm); I don't wanna have problem on my way back (I live close from work and my town's fairly illuminated so it's not THAT bad, but still).

Thanks!
Bye!

------------------
Gautam N. Lad
http://www.cubicdesign.com
http://www.cubicdesign.com/mustang/
Gautam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2001, 01:17 PM   #2
RobertD
Registered Member

Your switch is bad. You probably need to replace it. Try and find one in a junk yard or at a parts store that isn't burnt at the connector. I think that Texas Mustang Parts has them new for pretty cheap. You may also need to replace the harness that connects to it. It's very easy, crimp on and crinp off. Be sure to do it soon, the problem will get worse and could start a dash fire! E-mail me if you need help.

------------------
Robert
91GT; 88 ASC McLaren #709
RobertD is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: