MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-07-2001, 04:44 PM   #1
Gautam
Registered Member

Unhappy HELP: Major problem!

Hi,
Ok, this question is related to my '89 LX 5.0L, and it's electrical system and its car battery.

Friday afternoon, I turn ignition on, but nothing happens. My bro tells me the battery is dead (the gauge showed the reading to be real low). He uses a volt meter and checks the vlotage on the battery. It read about 8v (car/ignition was off when checked).

Saturday (while I was at work), we get CAA guys to give us a boost. Dude gives a boost and lets car run for 3min. After, we turn car off and wait a few min, and try again; it won't turn on. After it was boosted again to turn on, my bro let it run for a few min, and then turns it off. Few minutes later, he turns it on (without boosters), and the car turns on, so my bro takes a short spin around the block, and notices something.

When he was in gear, the battery gauge read normal. As soon as he put it in neutral to let car coast, the gauge dipped really low (warning/danger level). After my bro comes back he turns car off, and it hasn't turned on since. The CAA guys tell us something is draining the battery real fast (he mention something like at a rate of 2.9AMPS). He mentioned it could be the alternator or something else.

Sunday, my dad calls an independent mechanic (this dude specializes in alternator/startup troubleshooting and he usually comes to your house to fix). This dude doesn't do this anymore, but did mention that the battery shouldn't drain once it's boosted; at least not that fast, and says it's most likely the battery that's the culprit.

My battery is Interstate Megatron brand, and I think it's about 2yr. old.

What could be up? BTW, This is a long shot, but I also have an alarm in my system, and it's the model Audiovox Prestige APS 25-CL. Could the alarm be suckin the power out somehow? Could there be a problem in the electricals somewhere that's draining the battery? The car had been running fine since we had it, and this just happened out of the blue one day.

I'm stumped. I'd like some hints before spending hundreds at the shop for useless repairs/service. I'm dying to drive this car.

Thanks!
Bye!

------------------
Gautam N. Lad
http://www.cubicdesign.com
http://www.cubicdesign.com/mustang/

[This message has been edited by Gautam (edited 01-07-2001).]
Gautam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2001, 06:00 PM   #2
86LX5liter
Registered Member

what you need to due is get the car running again, jump start it or buy a battery charger. Then, with the car running, check the voltage at the battery, it should be between 13.5 and 14 volts. If the alternator is not charging the battery, it could be a few things. I my car, I noticed that the plug that plugs the alternator into the main harness was corroded, and after I replaced that and the voltage regulator, my battery charges, and everything is fine. Of course, it could also be your alternator. Try bringing it to lkike an Autozone or other major auto parts store, they check them for free. They also check batteries, so if you suspect it, bring it too.

------------------
12.54 @ 110.90
1.62 60'
best with old car, will let you know once i finish the transfer to the new to me car

I have pictures now, and here are the specs

86LX5liter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2001, 11:15 PM   #3
jimberg
Registered Member

Buy a DieHard Gold if you get a new battery. My car still starts at 30 below even when it's been sitting for weeks. The warranty is pretty good, too.

Hook up an ammeter at the battery to see if you actually have a drain. The CAA guy said it was a 2.9 amp drain so I'm assuming he didn't guess at it. With the ammeter hooked up, start pulling fuses from the most likely suspects until the drain goes away. That will help you pinpoint your problem. If you don't have a drain, replace the battery.

------------------
351W 89 Mustang GT Convertible
jimberg is offline   Reply With Quote