MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-15-2001, 07:48 PM   #1
Godslayer
Registered Member

Post Help me decide! AOW!

Well guys, I've been evaluating my financial status and I've come to the conclusion that I am poor. Going to school and living on my own take literally all of my money, I'll be lucky if I have $50-100 left per month to spend on non-essentials. Anyway I was thinking of selling my car for probably $3500 or so, and buying another bike and holding onto the extra money until maybe sometime I will buy another stang. With gas being so expensive nowadays I am TOTALLY strapped. I could use the vastly improved gas mileage. Plus I really wanted another bike for cruising in the summer. I have my Taurus so I'll have a car if I need one. It just won't be a hot rod anymore But i'll get by because I don't have many options. What do you guys think? All opinions are greatly appreciated.

------------------
87 GT
Full exhaust, K&N, KB Subs, BBK STB, homeade dumps...

87 Taurus
New York
Winters Bite!

Godslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2001, 03:52 PM   #2
84_GT350
Registered Member

Listen man....I'm in the same boat. I go to school full time, work 40hrs a week and live on my own. I think selling the car is a bad idea. My car, I assure you, gets much worse milage than your car and I can still afford gas. Keep in mind my job pays just over $7 an hour, my rent is $470/month and I live in Kansas (cold @ss winters = huge gas bills. Last one was $130). Plus my car breaks a part about every week or so. Don't ask me how I survive....my parents don't help me hardly ever and the fact that I haven't starved to death is a miracle. Bottom line....I don't think selling your stang is the answer. Sell the Taurus if you need money and want a *shudder* bike. I never learned to ride a bike so maybe that attributes to me disregaurding them as an automobile. Just don't buy a crotch rocket.....don't be one of those guys.

------------------
1984 1/2 GT350 (#842 Hatchback w/ T-tops), 302HO, Comp cams Xtreme Energy cam, Carter 625cfm carb, Weiand Stealth intake, MSD distributor, MSD coil, FMS 9mm wires, 1 5/8" MAC unequal shorties, 2 1/2" MAC Prochamber H-pipe, Flowmaster 2 chambers, KYBs, 16"x8" 4 lug Cobra Rs, Falken 245/45ZR16s
84_GT350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2001, 04:38 PM   #3
Godslayer
Registered Member

Hey man our gas bill is $240 a month I also forgot to mention that we live in a city and I absolutely hate parking my car on the street. Everyone, including me, has been hit at least once since we've been here (1 year). I could put the bike on the side of the house and out of harms way. I'm horrified with the lack of respect for people's vehicles around here and it really pisses me off. This will be my 3rd bike and I know all the risks associated with owning and riding one and I really do love them. Anything that runs 10's is sweet in my book. Anyone else have any suggestions?

Thanks,
Bob

------------------
87 GT

87 Taurus
New York
Winters Bite!

Old 01-16-2001, 05:36 PM   #4
95mustanggt
Registered Member

You have to do what you have to do. Just keep the following in mind:

$=Staying in School=Education=$$$=Fast Mustang

Also remember
Fox body cars are getting harder and harder to find. If you really love the Fox body mustang you may want to consider this.

Make sure that you objectively look at your situation and make logical decisions. And remember even if you sell the mustang, we here at mustangworks will still talk to you .

------------------
White 1995 Mustang GT
Dynomax Cat-Back, Offroad H-pipe, K&N Filters w/o Air Silencer
My 1995 Mustang GT
95mustanggt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2001, 07:31 PM   #5
Hethj7
Mizzou Tigers

I am in college too and know cash can get tight. I am fortunate to have a lot of scholarships, but money is still tight. I say hang on to the stang. I know in the winter it is easy to get frustrated with the stang...I hate seeing mine dirty and hate getting it out in the snow. But, I survive and always get it cleaned up when I can, then I remeber how much I love it.

I left my mustang at home once and went to school just driving my ex-girlfriend's contour. I about went nuts not having my car around and couldn't wait to get home and drive it. I say sell the taurus and buy a bike. I love my crotch rocket...yea, it can be dangerous, but they are great for college kids. You save a ton of money in gas and can park them anywhere on campus.
Hethj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2001, 07:55 PM   #6
S Howard
Registered Member

I agree with 95mustanggt. Fox bodies are becoming/have become quite expensive, epecially for the nice ones. Think the decision through carefully. Write the pros and cons on paper. Always helps me when I have a visual.
S Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2001, 11:06 PM   #7
2L8 ULUZ
Registered Member

Thumbs up

Bob, what's up dude? Long time no talk. I transfered to Utica and it blows here. Shoot me an email if you want to BS.

I feel your pain on the financial situation, I can barely pay my rent, and my POS car is sitting at my gf's house with no oil pressure. I am still paying for it while the NY road salt eats thru it's fender wells . Just my .02, but I would do whatever you have to do to keep the stang. You will regret selling it if you do, trust me. What about ditching the taurus, grabbing a pair of cheap snow tires and throwing some sandbags in the stang? It's do-able, I am living it right now with my winter beater (86 LX).

On the other hand, bikes are sweet, and the gas is sooooo cheap. Haha, tough call. Remember how easy it is to die/become permanently mangled on a bike, and all the blind mini-van drivin' soccer moms who see the target painted on your back.

....I say keep the stang. Good luck man
2L8 ULUZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2001, 11:56 PM   #8
Godslayer
Registered Member

Thanks for all your opinions but my financial situation is becoming dire with no end in sight I have to do what I need to do and with insurance and fuel ALOT cheaper for me, it's something I have to seriously consider. My auto insurance is outrageous because of all my stupid tickets thanks to the good folks at the Colonie Police Department. I need to let my auto license chill for awhile.
If I can't find a decent bike I will hang onto the stang.

------------------
87 GT

87 Taurus
New York
Winters Bite!

Old 01-17-2001, 01:51 PM   #9
cobrayankee
Registered Member

I'd do it. I'm from Albany and just came back from there for the long weekend. You know what I noticed. Not only do people have a lack of respect for other's cars, but also their own. Unbelievable. Well, if you do sell it, I am very interested. Let me know. I'll be there again in a few weeks.
cobrayankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2001, 05:11 PM   #10
Godslayer
Registered Member

Yeah they totally don't care about anything. Like every 5 cars parked on the side of the street have a dent or two in them. I've resorted to parking on the side of my house in the mud with the Taurus. The stang won't make it there with the ground clearance, and we are moving in June to another house that doesn't have a yard on the side. Either way I don't feel my car will be safe around here on the street. I don't want to spend my mod money on fixing cosmetic damage.

Cobrayankee: If you'd like to take a look at it shoot me an email and maybe we can set something up. Email me for more details. Deathblowbob@netzero.net

------------------
87 GT

87 Taurus
New York
Winters Bite!

Old 01-19-2001, 01:14 PM   #11
Godslayer
Registered Member

Anyone else?
Old 01-19-2001, 03:45 PM   #12
cobrayankee
Registered Member

I tried to email you back but the email is jacked up. I just said that I am interested in a "project" car. Just keep in touch with me and send pics through that email address. (it should be back up by tonight) Later!

------------------
1997 Cobra (Black on black), C+L 80mm MAF, K+N filter, Pro 5.0 shifter, BBK Springs, Taylor Wires, 2 Chamber Flows, ASP Pulleys, BBK off road H pipe.
cobrayankee is offline   Reply With Quote