MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 08-30-2001, 07:37 PM   #1
stng87
Registered Member

Post Help me to understand

I always see cars with windshield wipers on their headlights. This perplexes me. Why? I've done without over the years. I mean they come on cars that never see the offroad so mud isnt an issue. Does the rain really obstruct the headlight beam that much? If so, maybe the same guy that thought up that brilliant idea can come up with something of the likeness for 87-93 stangs that will wipe off the yellowing every so often. What do you think?

------------------
1987 black with t-tops. Cobra intake, 1.7 cobra crane rollers, gt40p's, bbk shorties, off road h-pipe, Holley adj. fuel pressure regulator, Tremec t-5z, 65mm TB, 4.10's, adj cable, 155lph fuel pump, Ram clutch kit, 3 row motorsport radiator,
275-60-15 BFG TA's on Welds, Hurst shifter,Former AOD Semper Fi

[This message has been edited by stng87 (edited 08-31-2001).]
stng87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2001, 07:46 PM   #2
New\Used Mustang
Registered Member

I think they are used when mud gets on the head lights, just a thought.

------------------
Mods: Dirt covered engine compartment. (For stability, it's a very complicated science..so don't ask.) Torn, taped up air filter. Lost air filter housing.(Less weight..so I can go faster.) I bought the car used with all this and more! What a bargain!.....lol
New\Used Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2001, 03:04 AM   #3
84_GT350
Registered Member

It's a "bells & whistles" sort of thing man. Nobody really needs them. They're just there to make people think they're getting more for their money. You think I used some form of the word "there" enough times in that sentence? Hehe.

------------------
1984 1/2 GT350 (#842 Hatchback w/ T-tops), 302HO, Comp cams Xtreme Energy cam, Carter 625cfm carb, Weiand Stealth intake, MSD distributor, MSD coil, FMS 9mm wires, 1 5/8" MAC unequal shorties, 2 1/2" MAC Prochamber H-pipe, Flowmaster 2 chambers, KYBs, 16"x8" 4 lug Cobra Rs, Falken 245/45ZR16s

So I pushed it up to 110,
That flathead motor was about to give in,
I crossed my fingers and prayed to the lord,
Don't let me down you fuct up ford!"

"5-Oh Ford" by The Reverend Horton Heat
84_GT350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2001, 04:38 AM   #4
mustang marty gt

maybe stang's need them on their tailight's & exh pipes to wipe off rice dust & other car's dust. dont want to mention any other car's i might make some people mad DOH!

------------------
Old 08-31-2001, 05:09 AM   #5
Mach 1
Registered Member

Lol..they are not there to clean the rain from the headlights...they are just there to clean the dirt and grime buildup that gets on the headlights if you drive in bad winter weather with salt and slush on the roads.
People who have driven through bad winters know what I mean. There are times when you have to clean your headlights to see. Well, the wipers will do it for you, so you dont have to get out of the car. Hope this helps.

------------------
1993 GT/AOD
'93 Mustang GT
Mach 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2001, 09:00 AM   #6
95mustanggt
Registered Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by Mach 1:
Lol..they are not there to clean the rain from the headlights...they are just there to clean the dirt and grime buildup that gets on the headlights if you drive in bad winter weather with salt and slush on the roads.
People who have driven through bad winters know what I mean. There are times when you have to clean your headlights to see. Well, the wipers will do it for you, so you dont have to get out of the car. Hope this helps.

Beet me to it.

They are for clearing the snow and slush from the head lights. But real men don't need head lights, we just drive with 'em if they're blocked.

It's kind of like heated seats. They might seem weird in Texas or California or florida, but when its -40 out and you don't have 1/2 and hour to warm your car up, they are a god send!

------------------
1995 Mustang GT
95mustanggt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2001, 10:23 AM   #7
Capri306

It is a proven fact that driving with your headlights on while using your wipers reduces your chances of an accident by about 20%. This study was done by a motor club in Ohio (I can't think of the name right now, so don't anybody put me on the spot). Anything I can do to lessen the chance of these minivan-driving soccer moms doing 90 from hitting me in a rainstorm I will do. You are SUPPOSED to turn them on in inclement weather, anyways. Don't you want to be seen if it's nasty out? I know I do.

------------------
Capri306, Moderator, The Mustang Works Online
1979 Mercury Capri, 5.0L -- C4 -- 2.73
1987 Mustang LX Notch
Capri306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2001, 11:53 AM   #8
dinomite
The Dude

my dad's volvo s80 has em, they only come on when you use the washer fluid on the windshield. i think they come on saabs too. crazy sweedes.
dinomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2001, 12:56 PM   #9
jimberg
Registered Member

Move to Minnesota and you'll figure it out pretty quickly.

Capri306, it's the law here that you have to have your lights on when the wipers are on. I wouldn't be surprised if cars come hardwired that way in the near future. It's one of my pet peeves when people don't have the common sense to turn their lights on when it's raining or snowing.

------------------
351W 89 Mustang GT Convertible
jimberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2001, 05:58 PM   #10
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Yep, Jimberg and I get to experiance the joys of saltroad driving here in the Twin Cities Metro Area.

It can literally block most of your lights when your headlight is covered with dusty white road salt. Cleaning the headlights makes a huge difference.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2001, 08:52 PM   #11
Power
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jimberg:
..it's the law here that you have to have your lights on when the wipers are on. I wouldn't be surprised if cars come hardwired that way in the near future. It's one of my pet peeves when people don't have the common sense to turn their lights on when it's raining or snowing...

Your aren't too off with your hypothesis. More often then not the newer cars are coming with all time headlights. The headlights on the car come on to a dim setting as soon as the engine is turned on. When you turn the headlights on they turn to the regular brightness. When you turn them back off they drop to the dimmer setting.

If that came out of right field I must have missed the point to what you all were talking about....
Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2001, 09:14 PM   #12
jimberg
Registered Member

Yes, more and more cars come with daytime running lights which I find to be pretty stupid. The idea is to raise visibility, but instead, if everyone has them, you become oblivious to them again just like all the cars that don't have them now. This in turn will put the motorcyclists, who have theirs on for REAL visibility issues, in more danger again.

I was referring more to the idea of having the lights wired to come on whenever the wipers are in the on position. That would make sense. The daytime running lights don't.

------------------
351W 89 Mustang GT Convertible
jimberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2001, 09:46 PM   #13
stng87
Registered Member

Ive lived in North Dakota, Ohio, and Nebraska. Still never needed them.
Old 09-01-2001, 06:36 AM   #14
Vector
Registered Member

Jimberg, you forgot that while hiding from the cops you can't completely shut your headlights off in that dark driveway. So you'd have to turn your engine off too, kind of inconvenient. That's why I like mustangs!

j/k of course, I'd never intentionaly do anything to get the cops after me (except dragging and speeding and doing donuts and...)
Vector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2001, 10:23 AM   #15
Mach 1
Registered Member

Capri306 -
this post is about wiper blades ON the headlights, like some Mercedes, Volvos, etc.. have, not about having your wipers on while your headlights are on in the rain, which is a totally unrelated issue.

Vector- my friends Saturn could turn the daytime running lights off by pulling up on the emergencey brake handle while the engine was still running. Something to keep in mind next time the "boys" are after you.

------------------
1993 GT/AOD
'93 Mustang GT
Mach 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2001, 02:25 PM   #16
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by stng87:
Ive lived in North Dakota, Ohio, and Nebraska. Still never needed them.
It's not that you NEED them. They are just convenient. You don't NEED A/C, or power windows, power locks, power steering, or power brakes. They are just options.

North Dakota doesn't salt for **** . I really doubt Nebraska salt's for **** . Sand is used way more there. Ohio, I would be willing to bet breaks out the salt truck from time to time, but nothing like Chicago, or the Twin Cities.

I've lived here for 24 years, and trust me. At LEAST once every couple days I HAVE to clean my headlights to see the glow when they've been salting. Especially when it's real wet out. It helps to do it 2x a day.

Old 09-02-2001, 11:48 AM   #17
stng87
Registered Member

why does everyone seem to want to prove everyone else wrong here. Its the only thing i dont like about this site, too much arguing and bickering. This was a simple question i was wondering about. Not an attack on anyone. Its about wipers on headlights not yo mama. Simple question. Nothing more.
Old 09-02-2001, 01:38 PM   #18
srv1
Get down.....

Thumbs up

Stng87, I AGREE WITH YOU 110%!! people dont like other peoples opinions. maybe one is a fact and the others are false, but still they,we, or whoever should be open minded.

i believe the real reason, is in Germany, or europe, alot of the roads were not paven so mud and dirt would get on them and you couldnt see. so that is why they put the wiper blades on them. and of course the snow and salt over here too, so it all works out.
srv1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2001, 02:41 PM   #19
Unit 5302
Registered Member

I wasn't attacking you. I was just pointing out that different places have different road conditions. Sorry if it came across too harsh. In Ohio, Nebraska, and North Dakota, they may not be all that necessary. In the twin cities, and a few other spots, they come in handy, I'm sure.

The only reason proving right and wrong is so important to me is simple.

How many ricers do you see putting fart cans on their exhaust because it adds 20hp? Or how many stangers do you see getting exhaust, reading the add and thinking it gave them 17hp? There is way too much BS out there. I don't like it when the BS spreads.
Old 09-03-2001, 01:56 AM   #20
ed1371
Registered Member

ya know I noticed a few ppl being a little testy on a few other threads... I am used to that sort of thing on other site but usually not here...

I have always thought the wipers on the headlights were a statement that I have an import luxury car and you dont kind of thing...no it doesn't need to be there but I have it and you dont! lol
ed1371 is offline   Reply With Quote